Obtaining the series and shunt resistance of a photodiode from the datasheet

In summary, the shunt resistance of a photodiode is 10Ω to 1010Ω, and the series resistance is 6000 Ohms.
louisnach
TL;DR Summary
obtaining serie and shunt resistance of a photodiode from the datasheet
Hello,

Hello,

For a project , i need to modele a photodiode with a current source in paralelle with a shunt resistance and in serie with a resistance to use it in a bigger circuit. The photodiode we will use is SFH7050, the datashhet is provideed here https://www.osram.com/ecat/BIOFY® S...catalog_103489/global/prd_pim_device_2220012/

The résistances are not provided but the open circuit voltage and short circuit current for a given luminosity is provided at page 7 (i will only use it with a wavelength of 530 nm). So if i understand correctly can get the shunt résistance by dividing open voltage by short circuit current. Am i wrong ? How can i get the serie resistance ?

Thnaks a lot in advance !

Engineering news on Phys.org
louisnach said:
Summary:: obtaining serie and shunt resistance of a photodiode from the datasheet

So if i understand correctly can get the shunt résistance by dividing open voltage by short circuit current. Am i wrong ? How can i get the serie resistance ?
That calculation will give you the Series resistance, (I calculated 6000 Ohms).

from: https://www.thorlabs.com/tutorials.cfm?tabID=787382FF-26EB-4A7E-B021-BF65C5BF164B
"An ideal photodiode will have infinite shunt resistance, but actual values may range from 10Ω to >109Ω and is the resistance at the origin of the transfer curve."

from: http://www.osioptoelectronics.com/application-notes/an-photodiode-parameters-characteristics.pdf
"Practically it is measured by applying 10mV and measuring the current." That's not something done outside a VERY well equipped lab environment!

Looking at the Dark current curve of your device, pg.15 of the datasheet, implies the shunt impedance is >108Ω >1010Ω. In the real world that would be ignored, but the simulator you use may require it.

(above links found with:
https://www.google.com/search?q=shunt+resistance+of+photodiode)

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
Tom.G said:
Looking at the Dark current curve of your device, pg.15 of the datasheet, implies the shunt impedance is >108Ω.
I think you must move the decimal point in the other direction.
The shunt resistance is the dV/di slope of the Dark Current graph on page 15.
In the middle of the graph; dV = 5 volt; di = 0.5 nA;
∴ Rp = 5.0 V / 0.5 nA = 10.0 GΩ = 1010Ω

Baluncore said:
I think you must move the decimal point in the other direction.
Yup. Fixed. Thanks!

1. How do I determine the series resistance of a photodiode from the datasheet?

The series resistance of a photodiode can be found in the electrical characteristics section of the datasheet. It is typically listed as "Rs" or "Rs (series resistance)" and is measured in ohms.

2. What is the shunt resistance of a photodiode and how can I find it in the datasheet?

The shunt resistance of a photodiode is the resistance that is in parallel with the photodiode and can affect its performance. It is usually listed as "Rsh" or "Rsh (shunt resistance)" in the datasheet and is also measured in ohms.

3. How can I use the series and shunt resistance values to calculate the overall resistance of the photodiode?

The overall resistance of a photodiode can be calculated using the formula: Rtotal = Rs + (Rsh * (1 + G)), where G is the gain factor of the photodiode. The gain factor can also be found in the datasheet.

4. Is it important to consider the series and shunt resistance when choosing a photodiode for a specific application?

Yes, the series and shunt resistance values can greatly affect the performance of a photodiode in different applications. It is important to choose a photodiode with the appropriate resistance values for the desired application to ensure optimal performance.

5. Can the series and shunt resistance values change over time or with different operating conditions?

Yes, the series and shunt resistance values can change over time and with different operating conditions such as temperature and light intensity. It is important to regularly check and update these values to ensure accurate measurements and performance of the photodiode.