Finding Speed & Momentum of a Moving Particle with Double Rest Mass

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem in relativity where a moving particle has a rest mass that is double its kinetic energy. The person offering help suggests using appropriate formulas to solve the problem and asks for clarification on the specific issue the other person is having. The person struggling with the problem mentions not understanding how to fit the equations together and expresses a dislike for physics.
hype_chicky
a moving particle has a rest mass which is double its kinetic energy. Find its speed and momentum..=)

Physics news on Phys.org
this is the most basic problem in relativity... are you having a hard time understanding relativity or you just can't figure out how to do this problem...
relativity usually puts in a advance physics class. since you are learning relativity now, i believe you have already suffer through the classical mechanic and electrostatic and thermal physics those basic stuff... and you have already develope a skill to deal with physics problems. This problem is not tricky at all. plug the number in appropiate formulas and the answer will shown up instantly... if you really can't do this problem, at least show me some of your work or let me know which part you stuck in...

okay so the rest mass is doubel the kinetic energy so i have Ek = mc^2/ sqare root 1-V^2/C^2 - mc^2...yet once agnin i DO NOT understand how to fit it in..as u can see physics is not one of my favourite classes =)

Okay.So its rest mass (mulitplied by c^squared to give energy) is 2 times greater than the KE.Can u write the RHS from this equation?
[tex] m_{0}c^{2}=2... [/tex]

What should be instead of those points...??

Daniel.

Related to Finding Speed & Momentum of a Moving Particle with Double Rest Mass

1. What is the formula for finding speed and momentum of a moving particle with double rest mass?

The formula for finding the speed and momentum of a moving particle with double rest mass is given by:v = c * ((1-(m0/m)^2) / (1+(m0/m)^2))p = (m0 * v) / sqrt(1-(v/c)^2), where c is the speed of light, m0 is the rest mass of the particle, and m is the total mass of the particle.

2. How do you determine the speed and momentum of a moving particle with double rest mass?

To determine the speed and momentum of a moving particle with double rest mass, you will need to know the values of c (speed of light), m0 (rest mass of the particle), and m (total mass of the particle). Using the formula v = c * ((1-(m0/m)^2) / (1+(m0/m)^2)), you can calculate the speed of the particle. Then, use the formula p = (m0 * v) / sqrt(1-(v/c)^2) to calculate the momentum.

3. Can the speed of a moving particle with double rest mass exceed the speed of light?

No, the speed of a moving particle with double rest mass cannot exceed the speed of light. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can attain. Therefore, the speed of a particle with double rest mass will always be less than or equal to the speed of light.

4. How does the rest mass of a particle affect its speed and momentum?

The rest mass of a particle affects its speed and momentum in the formula by altering the value of the Lorentz factor. As the rest mass increases, the Lorentz factor decreases, resulting in a decrease in the speed and momentum of the particle.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formulas for finding speed and momentum of a moving particle with double rest mass?

Yes, there are limitations to using these formulas. They are only applicable to particles with double rest mass, and not for particles with zero or infinitesimal rest mass. Additionally, the formulas do not take into account the effects of external forces or interactions on the particle's speed and momentum.