Finding steady-state solution to 2nd-order DE

• Thread starter shreddinglicks
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the particular solution for a second order equation and its derivatives, and ultimately solving for the unknowns A and B in the equation. The process involves identifying the factors of sin(xt) and cos(xt) on both sides of the equation and solving for A and B.
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

I want to get the particular solution for:

Lq''+Rq'+(1/c)q = Esin(xt)

Homework Equations

Lq''+Rq'+(1/c)q = Esin(xt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the particular solution and its derivatives:

q = A*Sin(xt) + B*cos(xt)
q' = x*A*cos(xt) - x*B*sin(xt)
q'' = -x^2*A*sin(xt) - x^2*B*cos(xt)

I plug these into the 2nd order equation giving me:

A[-x^2*L*sin(xt) + R*x*cos(xt) + (1/c)*Sin(xt)] + B[-x^2*L*cos(xt)-x*R*sin(xt)+(1/c)*cos(xt)] = Esin(xt)

I want to get the form of A and B in the attached image

Also, alpha = x in my typing.

Attachments

• Captdure.PNG
    Captdure.PNG
    31.5 KB · Views: 624
Physics news on Phys.org
Identifythe factors of sin(xt) on both sides of the wquation and then do the same for cos(xt). That gives you two equations for two unknowns.

Orodruin said:
Identifythe factors of sin(xt) on both sides of the wquation and then do the same for cos(xt). That gives you two equations for two unknowns.

I'm not sure if I understand. So I factor out sin(xt) on both sides and factoring cos(xt) giving me:

sin(xt)*[-L*x^2*A - R*x*B + (1/c)*A] + cos(xt)*[-L*x^2*B + R*x*A + (1/c)*B]

That's just one side of the equation. You need to do it on both sides and then identify the factors on either side.

Orodruin said:
That's just one side of the equation. You need to do it on both sides and then identify the factors on either side.

But the other side is just Esin(xt).

So I have:

(-L*x^2*B) + (R*x*A)+([1/c]*B) = 0
(-L*x^2*A) - (R*x*B) + ([1/c]*A) = E

Right. Solve for A and B.

Orodruin said:
Right. Solve for A and B.

I got the answer, thank you.

1. What is a steady-state solution?

A steady-state solution refers to the behavior of a system when it has reached a stable equilibrium, meaning that the system's output remains constant over time. In the context of second-order differential equations, finding the steady-state solution involves solving for the values of the dependent variable that do not change as time goes on.

2. How do you find the steady-state solution to a second-order differential equation?

To find the steady-state solution, you must first set the derivative term equal to zero and solve for the dependent variable. This will give you the equilibrium value for the dependent variable. Then, you can plug this value into the original differential equation and solve for the constant(s) of integration to obtain the complete steady-state solution.

3. What is the importance of finding the steady-state solution?

The steady-state solution is important because it allows us to understand the long-term behavior of a system and predict its output over time. It can also help us identify any potential problems or instabilities in the system.

4. Can a system have multiple steady-state solutions?

Yes, a system can have multiple steady-state solutions. This can occur when the system has more than one stable equilibrium point, resulting in different steady-state solutions depending on the initial conditions of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the steady-state solution to a second-order differential equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to finding the steady-state solution. It assumes that the system is in a stable equilibrium and that there are no external factors or disturbances affecting the system. In real-world situations, this may not always be the case, and the steady-state solution may not accurately reflect the behavior of the system over time.