Finding surface area with volume

In summary,-To solve the problem, you need to find the derivative of your SA function with respect to r, and set it to 0.-If you want things in the right units, this is a critical step.
ahmedb
Ok, so I did a test today for advance functions and there was a question: the volume of a pop can is 350ml, find the minimum surface area and determine the dimensions.
Where I got stuck:

350=pi(r)^2*h
h=350/pi(r)^2

SA= 2pi(r)^2+2pi(r)(h)
SA= 2pi(r)^2+2pi(r)(350/pi(r)^2)

=(2(pi(r)^3+350))/(pi(r))

I'm stuck here :S

Physics news on Phys.org
How do I [STRIKE]shot web[/STRIKE] er, minimize function? Doesn't it have to do with the derivative having a certain value?

Hey ahmedb and welcome to the forums.

One thing you should be aware of is that volume is cubic metres (or centimetres or inches or some other unit of length) so you need to convert the liquid quantity to volume by looking at the density.

As Muphrid pointed out above, you want to look into finding a minimum which has a direct correspondence to the derivative being zero.

This problem has nothing to do with density. You simply need to find the minimum value for the surface area function you came up with. To do this, you find the derivative of your SA function with respect to r, and set it to 0.

Nessdude14 said:
This problem has nothing to do with density. You simply need to find the minimum value for the surface area function you came up with. To do this, you find the derivative of your SA function with respect to r, and set it to 0.

If you want things in the right units, this is a critical step.

ahmedb,
Homework problems should be posted in the Homework & Coursework section, not in the math technical section.

I am moving your post.

chiro said:
Hey ahmedb and welcome to the forums.

One thing you should be aware of is that volume is cubic metres (or centimetres or inches or some other unit of length) so you need to convert the liquid quantity to volume by looking at the density.

As Muphrid pointed out above, you want to look into finding a minimum which has a direct correspondence to the derivative being zero.

Nessdude14 said:

chiro said:
If you want things in the right units, this is a critical step.
No, it isn't. Liquid quantity is volume. Nothing in this problem has anything to do with density, weight, or mass.

Yeah you're right: I was under the impression that it was in another unit. My apologies.

Happens to me all the time!

Related to Finding surface area with volume

1. How is surface area related to volume?

Surface area and volume are two different measurements of an object's size. Surface area measures the total area of all the surfaces of an object, while volume measures the amount of space an object takes up. However, there is a relationship between the two, as an increase in volume often leads to an increase in surface area. This is because as an object gets bigger, its surface area increases as well.

2. What is the formula for finding surface area with volume?

The formula for finding surface area with volume depends on the shape of the object. For a cube or rectangular prism, the formula is SA = 6s², where s is the length of one side. For a cylinder, the formula is SA = 2πr² + 2πrh, where r is the radius and h is the height. Other shapes, such as spheres and cones, have their own specific formulas.

3. Why is finding surface area with volume important in science?

Knowing the surface area and volume of an object can help scientists understand its properties and behavior. For example, surface area plays a crucial role in heat transfer and reactions between substances. In addition, knowing the volume can help determine the density of an object, which is important in many scientific fields.

4. Can you find the surface area with just the volume?

No, it is not possible to find the surface area with just the volume. The surface area and volume are two different measurements and one cannot be calculated without the other. However, if you know the shape and dimensions of an object, you can use the appropriate formula to calculate the surface area with the given volume.

5. How does finding surface area with volume apply to real-life situations?

Finding surface area with volume has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, architects and engineers use it to determine the amount of materials needed for construction. It is also important in packaging and shipping to calculate the amount of materials needed and the cost. In addition, understanding the surface area and volume of objects can help with tasks such as cooking and gardening.