Finding system output (simple basic control engineering)

In summary, the conversation is about multiplying X(s) with G(s) and finding X(s) from x(t) using Laplace transforms. The speaker initially made a mistake in their calculation but eventually realizes that X(s) is the Laplace transform of x(t), which can be found using a table. It is later revealed that this topic is beyond the scope of their class material.
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Fp!

When you multiplied X(s) with G(s), you appear to have multiplied x(t) instead with G(s).
Do you know how to find X(s) from x(t)?

Do you know how to find X(s) from x(t)?

HEy ILS :)

Hmm, I did not realize there is a X(s). What exactly is it in words?

Femme_physics said:
HEy ILS :)

Hmm, I did not realize there is a X(s). What exactly is it in words?

X(s) is the so called Laplace Transform of x(t).
Typically you use a table with Laplace transforms and look it up.

For instance, the Laplace transform of x(t)=2 is X(s)=2/s.

Oh my, I wondered if I stepped out of the bounderies of my class material. I'll go ask my classmate and check, because I don't remember having learned about it.

Turns out it is indeed beyond the scope of our material. I went ahead of myself! Thanks anyway :)

Okay ;)

1. What is the purpose of finding system output in control engineering?

Finding system output in control engineering is important because it allows us to understand how a system responds to various inputs and disturbances. This information is essential for designing and optimizing control systems to achieve desired performance.

2. How is system output typically measured?

System output is usually measured using sensors, which can detect physical quantities such as position, velocity, temperature, or pressure. These sensors convert the physical quantities into electrical signals that can be measured and analyzed.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of system output measurements?

The accuracy of system output measurements can be affected by factors such as noise, sensor resolution, and sampling frequency. Noise can introduce random errors in the measurement, while sensor resolution determines the smallest change that can be detected. Sampling frequency refers to how often the system output is measured, which can impact the accuracy of the measurement.

4. How do engineers use system output to design control systems?

Engineers use system output to design control systems by analyzing the response of the system to different inputs and disturbances. This information is used to determine the appropriate control strategy and parameters to achieve the desired performance of the system.

5. Can system output be improved or optimized?

Yes, system output can be improved or optimized through various techniques, such as using advanced control algorithms, optimizing sensor placement, and implementing feedback control. By continuously monitoring and analyzing the system output, engineers can make adjustments to improve the performance of the system.