Finding tangent line that passes through a point not on curve

In summary: Yep lol. But I don't really understand why the root of the discriminant is the slope of the tangent line as a...
kwal0203

Homework Statement

Find the number of tangent lines to the curve:

[itex]y=\frac{3x}{x-2}[/itex]

which pass through the point (-1,9). Find also the points of contact of these tangent lines with the curve.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I found the equation of lines passing through (-1,9) -> [itex]y=(x+1)m+9[/itex]

2. I thought there must be a contact point between the line through (-1,9) and the original equation so -> [itex]\frac{3x}{x-2}=(x+1)m+9[/itex]

3. I put this into a quadratic form -> [itex]mx^{2}+(6-m)x-2m-18=0[/itex]

4. I checked the discriminant of the equation in '3' -> [itex]9m^{2}+60m+36[/itex]

5. I found the roots of '4' to be [itex]x=6[/itex] and [itex]x=-\frac{2}{3}[/itex] edit: [itex]m=6[/itex] and [itex]m=-\frac{2}{3}[/itex]

I know that if the discriminant is 0 then there is one real solution. This means that there are two tangents of the original equation that also go through (-1,9).

Now I don't know how to get the equation for these two tangent lines? How can I use the roots of the discriminant to get these equations?

Any help appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
m is the slope. Why are you treating that as an unknown? That's the derivative dy/dx, yes? Put that it. The only real unknown here is x.

Last edited:
Dick said:
m is the slope. Why are you treating that as an unknown? That's the derivative dy/dx, yes? Put that it.

Not sure I'm following what your saying. Do you mean that the roots of the discriminant i.e. X=6 and -2/3 are the slopes of the tangent lines I am looking for?

kwal0203 said:
Not sure I'm following what your saying. Do you mean that the roots of the discriminant i.e. X=6 and -2/3 are the slopes of the tangent lines I am looking for?

I really don't know, you went off track a bit for me after step 2). Just put dy/dx in for m in step 2) and try to solve for x. That would be a correct thing to do, yes? dy/dx=m. The only real variable here is x.

Last edited:
Dick said:
I really don't know, you went off track a bit for me after step 2). Just put dy/dx in for m in step 2) and try to solve for x. That would be a correct thing to do, yes? dy/dx=m. The only real variable here is x.

so you mean put in:

[itex]m=\frac{-6}{(x-2)^{2}}[/itex]

kwal0203 said:
so you mean put in:

[itex]m=\frac{-6}{(x-2)^{2}}[/itex]

Indeed I do. Any reason why not?

Dick said:
Indeed I do. Any reason why not?

[itex]\frac{3x}{x-2}=\frac{(-6)(x+1)}{(x-2)(x-2)}+9[/itex]

[itex]3x=\frac{(-6)(x+1)(x-2)}{(x-2)(x-2)}+9(x-2)[/itex]

[itex]x=\frac{(-6)(x+1)(x-2)}{(3)(x-2)(x-2)}+\frac{9}{3}(x-2)[/itex]

[itex]x=\frac{(-6)(x+1)}{(3)(x-2)}+3(x-2)[/itex]

[itex]x=\frac{(-2)(x+1)}{(x-2)}+3(x-2)[/itex]

[itex]x=\frac{-2x-2}{(x-2)}+3(x-2)[/itex]

Cant seem to solve for X am I doing something wrong?

kwal0203 said:
[itex]\frac{3x}{x-2}=\frac{(-6)(x+1)}{(x-2)(x-2)}+9[/itex]

[itex]3x=\frac{(-6)(x+1)(x-2)}{(x-2)(x-2)}+9(x-2)[/itex]

[itex]x=\frac{(-6)(x+1)(x-2)}{(3)(x-2)(x-2)}+\frac{9}{3}(x-2)[/itex]

[itex]x=\frac{(-6)(x+1)}{(3)(x-2)}+3(x-2)[/itex]

[itex]x=\frac{(-2)(x+1)}{(x-2)}+3(x-2)[/itex]

[itex]x=\frac{-2x-2}{(x-2)}+3(x-2)[/itex]

Cant seem to solve for X am I doing something wrong?

Why don't you multiply by (x-2)^2 to begin with? You'll just get a quadratic equation to solve.

Dick said:
Why don't you multiply by (x-2)^2 to begin with? You'll just get a quadratic equation to solve.

Oh right like this... what is the next step?

[itex]3(x-2)^{2}-x(x-2)-2x-2=0[/itex]

kwal0203 said:

[itex]2x^{2}-12x+10=0[/itex]

[itex]2(x^{2}-6x+5)[/itex]

[itex]2(x-1)(x-5)[/itex]

so x=1,5?

kwal0203 said:

If you did that right, then multiply it out and solve the quadratic. If you didn't do it right then fix what's wrong and do it correctly. I'm too tired to check it right now. Good luck!

kwal0203 said:
[itex]2x^{2}-12x+10=0[/itex]

[itex]2(x^{2}-6x+5)[/itex]

[itex]2(x-1)(x-5)[/itex]

so x=1,5?

Yes, x=1,5. Then you can use the x values to find m. So you have your two tangent lines.

Dick said:
Yes, x=1,5. Then you can use the x values to find m. So you have your two tangent lines.

Great thanks Dick

kwal0203 said:
Great thanks Dick

Oh wow the slopes of the tangents turn out to be:

m=-2/3 and m=6

Just as in the beginning!

I.e. the roots of the discriminant

kwal0203 said:
Oh wow the slopes of the tangents turn out to be:

m=-2/3 and m=6

Just as in the beginning!

I.e. the roots of the discriminant

Ok, that's good. You did understand the problem. I just took the more direct approach of eliminating m and then not looking at anything after that. Feel good?

Dick said:
Ok, that's good. You did understand the problem. I just took the more direct approach of eliminating m and then not looking at anything after that. Feel good?

Yep lol. But I don't really understand why the root of the discriminant is the slope of the tangent line as a concept.

kwal0203 said:
Yep lol. But I don't really understand why the root of the discriminant is the slope of the tangent line as a concept.

It's because the tangent line intersects the curve exactly once. It's a trick to find tangent slopes without using calculus or derivatives. But I know you do know derivatives. It's a bit more straightforward if you use that.

Related to Finding tangent line that passes through a point not on curve

What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at only one point, known as the point of tangency. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

How do you find the equation of a tangent line that passes through a point not on the curve?

To find the equation of a tangent line that passes through a point not on the curve, you will need to use the point-slope form of a line. First, find the slope of the tangent line at the given point using the derivative of the curve. Then, plug in the slope and the given point into the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

What information do you need to find the tangent line that passes through a point not on the curve?

To find the tangent line that passes through a point not on the curve, you will need the equation of the curve, the point of tangency, and the derivative of the curve at that point.

How do you find the slope of the tangent line at a given point?

The slope of the tangent line at a given point is equal to the derivative of the curve at that point. You can find the derivative using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the form of the equation of the curve.

Can there be more than one tangent line that passes through a point not on the curve?

No, there can only be one tangent line that passes through a point not on the curve. This is because a tangent line is defined as touching the curve at only one point, and no other line can have this property at the given point.