How Do You Calculate θ for Polarized Light Intensity Reduction to I0/4?

• Thread starter jraek1987
  • Start date
In summary, to find the angle θ between the axes of polarization of two ideal polarizing sheets, given an unpolarized beam of light with intensity Io and an emerging light with intensity Io/4, we use the equation I = Io*cos^2θ and account for the intensity change caused by the first polarizer. This results in the answer of cos^-1(1/√2) = θ instead of cos^-1(1/2) = θ.
jraek1987

Homework Statement

An unpolarized beam of light has intensity Io. It is incident on two ideal polarizing sheets. The angle between the axes of polarization of these sheets is θ. Find θ if the emerging light has intensity Io/4.

Homework Equations

I = (1/2)Io

I = Io*cos^2θ

The Attempt at a Solution

If I = Io/4 then the second equation becomes:

Io/4 = Io*cos^2θ

Solving for θ gives:

(Io/4) = Io*cos^2θ
*1/Io {both sides}

1/4 = cos^2θ

√(1/4) = √(cos^2(θ))

1/2 = cosθ
*1/cos {both sides}

cos^-1(1/2) = θ

**The book gives the answer of cos^-1(1/√2) = θ

Not sure what I did wrong..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jraek1987,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

jraek1987 said:

Homework Statement

An unpolarized beam of light has intensity Io. It is incident on two ideal polarizing sheets. The angle between the axes of polarization of these sheets is θ. Find θ if the emerging light has intensity Io/4.

Homework Equations

I = (1/2)Io

I = Io*cos^2θ

The Attempt at a Solution

If I = Io/4 then the second equation becomes:

Io/4 = Io*cos^2θ

Solving for θ gives:

(Io/4) = Io*cos^2θ
*1/Io {both sides}

1/4 = cos^2θ

√(1/4) = √(cos^2(θ))

1/2 = cosθ
*1/cos {both sides}

cos^-1(1/2) = θ

**The book gives the answer of cos^-1(1/√2) = θ

Not sure what I did wrong..
I0/4 is the intensity after the light passes through the second polarizer. I0 is the inensity of the light before it passes through the first polarizer.

You've neglected to take into account the intensity change caused by the first polarizer. (i.e. what is the intensity of the light in between the polarizers?)

(Hint: remember, the initial light I0 is unpolarized. :wink:)

1) What is the significance of finding θ given I=Io/4?

Finding θ given I=Io/4 allows us to determine the angle of incidence, which is the angle at which a beam of light or other electromagnetic radiation strikes a surface. This is important in understanding how light is reflected, refracted, or transmitted through different materials.

2) How is θ related to the intensity of light, represented by I=Io/4?

The angle θ is related to the intensity of light by the equation I=Io/4, where I represents the intensity of the transmitted light and Io represents the intensity of the incident light. As θ increases, the intensity of the transmitted light decreases.

3) What is the formula for finding θ given I=Io/4?

The formula for finding θ given I=Io/4 is θ = arccos √(I/Io), where arccos is the inverse cosine function and √ is the square root function. This formula can be derived from the law of conservation of energy and Snell's law.

4) How does the value of θ affect the intensity of light?

The value of θ affects the intensity of light by determining the amount of light that is transmitted through a material. As θ increases, the intensity of the transmitted light decreases, as more of the light is reflected or absorbed by the material.

5) What factors can affect the accuracy of finding θ given I=Io/4?

The accuracy of finding θ given I=Io/4 can be affected by factors such as the precision of the instruments used to measure intensity and angle, the properties of the material through which the light is passing, and any external factors that may interfere with the measurements, such as ambient light or temperature.