Finding the coefficient of Kinetic force with an angle

In summary, the normal force from the ground is not always the weight of the object. To be precise and general, the normal force from a surface is the force of least magnitude required to prevent the object penetrating the surface.
KellyTarzuoty

Homework Statement

A 1000N crate is being pushes across a level floor at a constant speed by a force (F) of 300N at an angle of 20 degrees below the horizontal, what is the coefficient of kinetic force?

Homework Equations

Fk= uk*N
uk= Fk/N[/B]
Fk=F2

The Attempt at a Solution

in the back of the textbook it comes up as 0.256, but when I try I do:
Fk = F2
F2 = 300cos20 = 281.9
uk= F2/n
uk= 281.9/1000
uk= 0.281

Can someone tell me where I've gone wrong? It seemed like it should be a simple question

Physics news on Phys.org
The normal force from the ground is not always the weight of the object.
The normal force is what ever it needs to be to keep the block from accelerating vertically.

Nathanael said:
The normal force is what ever it needs to be to keep the block from accelerating vertically.
okay, so should I try and use that to try and find the weight? Because that was all the question gave me, it didn't mention any weights.

KellyTarzuoty said:
okay, so should I try and use that to try and find the weight? Because that was all the question gave me, it didn't mention any weights.
The weight of the crate is given, it is 1000N.
In your equations you seem to be saying that the normal force is equal to the weight of the crate (1000N).

If I push down on a piece of paper, the normal force on the paper (from the table or whatever) is going to be much more than the weight of the paper, right?

Nathanael said:
To be precise and general, the normal force from a surface is the force of least magnitude required to prevent the object penetrating the surface. Necessarily, that will be at right angles to the surface.

@KellyTarzuoty, draw a free body diagram of the block. Three forces act on it. What are they? Use the usual statics equations to find the normal force.

Related to Finding the coefficient of Kinetic force with an angle

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic force with an angle?

The coefficient of kinetic force with an angle is a measure of the amount of force needed to move an object at a constant velocity along a given angle. It is a dimensionless quantity that takes into account the angle of the force as well as the magnitude and direction of the force.

2. How do you calculate the coefficient of kinetic force with an angle?

The coefficient of kinetic force with an angle can be calculated by dividing the force applied by the product of the object's mass and the acceleration due to gravity. This calculation takes into account the angle of the force in relation to the direction of motion.

3. What is the significance of finding the coefficient of kinetic force with an angle?

Finding the coefficient of kinetic force with an angle can help scientists understand the relationship between the applied force and the motion of an object. It can also help in analyzing the efficiency of various machines and designing more effective mechanisms that utilize forces at different angles.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of kinetic force with an angle?

The coefficient of kinetic force with an angle can be affected by various factors such as the object's mass, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the angle at which the force is applied, and the surface on which the object is moving.

5. How is the coefficient of kinetic force with an angle used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of kinetic force with an angle is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is used to analyze the forces involved in the motion of objects and to design efficient machines and equipment. In sports, it is used to optimize techniques and equipment for better performance.