Finding the Curl at a point with three squares

In summary, the problem involves finding the curl of vector field G at the point (4,5,7), given the circulation of G around three small squares oriented counterclockwise when viewed from the positive z, x, and y axes respectively. The circulation values for each square are -0.02 for S1, 6 for S2, and -5 for S3. To find the curl, we need to use the formula Curl G . n = circulation density of G, but the normal vector is needed for each square. For S1, the normal vector will be in the positive z direction. For the other squares, check conventions to determine the direction of the normal vector.
pradeepk

Homework Statement

Three small squares, S1, S2, and S3, each with side 0.1 and centered at the point (4,5,7), like parallel to the xy, yz, and xz planes respectively. The squares are oriented counterclockwise when viewed from the positive z, x, y axes respectively. A vector field G has circulation and S1 of -0.02, around S2 of 6, and around S3 of -5. Estimate Curl G at the point (4,5,7).

Homework Equations

Curl G . n=circulation density of G

The Attempt at a Solution

So they want the Curl of G, and the circulation is given.
So if I start with S1: CurlG . n= (-0.02)/(0.1)2

The thing I don't know how to find is the normal vector. I know that S1 is parallel to the xy plane so the normal vector wil be pointing up in the positive z direction.

Am I going about this problem correctly? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
if i read the question correctly, you have in effect a measurement of the projection of the curl in 3 orthogonal directions. What total curl vector would give you those projections?

also for each given "square" the normal direction will eb normal to the plane, eg. for the xy plane, the normal direction is the z direction - you will have to check your conventions to find whether it is -ve or -ve z direction, i can't remember which...

Related to Finding the Curl at a point with three squares

What is the concept of finding the curl at a point with three squares?

The concept of finding the curl at a point with three squares is a mathematical technique used to determine the rotational behavior of a vector field at a specific point. It involves taking the cross product of the partial derivatives of the vector field with respect to each of the three coordinate axes.

Why is finding the curl important in vector calculus?

Finding the curl is important in vector calculus because it helps us understand the rotational behavior of a vector field. This information is useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics.

What are the steps involved in finding the curl at a point with three squares?

The steps involved in finding the curl at a point with three squares are:

1. Calculate the partial derivatives of the vector field with respect to each of the three coordinate axes.
  2. Take the cross product of these partial derivatives.
  3. Simplify the resulting expression.
  4. Evaluate the expression at the given point.

Can the curl be negative or positive?

Yes, the curl can be negative or positive. The sign of the curl indicates the direction of rotation of the vector field at a given point. A positive curl indicates counterclockwise rotation, while a negative curl indicates clockwise rotation.

How is the curl related to the divergence of a vector field?

The curl and the divergence are related through the vector calculus identity known as the "curl-free" theorem. This theorem states that if the curl of a vector field is equal to zero at every point in a region, then the vector field is conservative and can be expressed as the gradient of a scalar potential function. In other words, a vector field with no curl can be thought of as a field where all the vectors are pointing in the same direction. This is in contrast to a vector field with non-zero curl, where the vectors are rotating around a point.