Finding the energy eigenfunctions of infinite well with potential step

In summary, the potential for a particle moving in one dimension is infinite for x < 0, 0 for 0 < x < L, V for L < x < 2L, and infinite for x > 2L. Assuming the energy of the particle is in the range 0 < E < V, the energy eigenfunctions and the equation for determining the energy eigenvalues can be found. The wave equation for the region 0 < x < L is e^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx}, and for the region L < x < 2L, it is Ce^{-qx} + De^{qx}. Applying the boundary conditions and solving for E yields the solution q tan(kL) = -k
deedsy

Homework Statement

The potential for a particle mass m moving in one dimension is:
V(x) = infinity for x < 0
= 0 for 0< x <L
= V for L< x <2L
= infinity for x > 2L

Assume the energy of the particle is in the range 0 < E < V

Find the energy eigenfunctions and the equation that determines the energy eigenvalues. Don't worry about normalizing the eigenfunctions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I've found the equation for the energy eigenvalues...
in the region 0 < x < L the wave equation has the form:
[itex] \psi_1(x) = e^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx} [/itex] where [itex] k = \sqrt{2mE}/\hbar[/itex]
for L < x < 2L, the wave equation is:
[itex] \psi_2(x) = Ce^{-qx} + De^{qx} [/itex] where [itex] q = \sqrt{2m(E-V)}/\hbar[/itex]

applying the boundary condition [itex] \psi_1(x=0) = 0 [/itex],
I find B = -1 and the wave equation can be rewritten and simplified as [itex] \psi_1(x) = A' sin(kx) [/itex]

applying the boundary condition [itex] \psi_2(x=2L) = 0 [/itex],
I find [itex]D = -C e^{-4qL} [/itex] and the wave equation can be simplified to [itex] \psi_2(x) = C' sinh[q(x-2L)] [/itex]

Now, equating these two equations at x = 0 and their derivatives at x=L, and then dividing the two results gave me a solution i can use to solve for E, the energy eigenstates: [itex] q tan(kL) = -k tanh(qL) [/itex]

But now, I'm not sure how to go about finding the energy eigenfunctions... For the plain infinite well, it was easy because you just had one equation, sin(something) = 0 , so something = n*pi. Then you just rewrote the equation with n in it...
I'm thinking this involves another application of the boundary conditions, but I don't see how quantized energy functions will arise from equating my solutions at x = L...

Physics news on Phys.org
deedsy said:

Homework Statement

The potential for a particle mass m moving in one dimension is:
V(x) = infinity for x < 0
= 0 for 0< x <L
= V for L< x <2L
= infinity for x > 2L

Assume the energy of the particle is in the range 0 < E < V

Find the energy eigenfunctions and the equation that determines the energy eigenvalues. Don't worry about normalizing the eigenfunctions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I've found the equation for the energy eigenvalues...
in the region 0 < x < L the wave equation has the form:
[itex] \psi_1(x) = e^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx} [/itex] where [itex] k = \sqrt{2mE}/\hbar[/itex]
for L < x < 2L, the wave equation is:
[itex] \psi_2(x) = Ce^{-qx} + De^{qx} [/itex] where [itex] q = \sqrt{2m(E-V)}/\hbar[/itex]
##\psi_1## and ##\psi_2## are not wave equations; they're solutions to the wave equation.

Since E<V and you want q to be real, it should be ##q = \sqrt{\frac{2m(V-E)}{\hbar^2}}.##

applying the boundary condition [itex] \psi_1(x=0) = 0 [/itex],
I find B = -1 and the wave equation can be rewritten and simplified as [itex] \psi_1(x) = A' sin(kx) [/itex]

applying the boundary condition [itex] \psi_2(x=2L) = 0 [/itex],
I find [itex]D = -C e^{-4qL} [/itex] and the wave equation can be simplified to [itex] \psi_2(x) = C' sinh[q(x-2L)] [/itex]

Now, equating these two equations at x = 0 and their derivatives at x=L, and then dividing the two results gave me a solution i can use to solve for E, the energy eigenstates: [itex] q tan(kL) = -k tanh(qL) [/itex]

But now, I'm not sure how to go about finding the energy eigenfunctions... For the plain infinite well, it was easy because you just had one equation, sin(something) = 0 , so something = n*pi. Then you just rewrote the equation with n in it...
I'm thinking this involves another application of the boundary conditions, but I don't see how quantized energy functions will arise from equating my solutions at x = L...
You've found them for the most part. You have
$$\psi(x)=\begin{cases}
A' \sin kx & 0 \le x \le L \\
C' \sinh q(x-2L) & L < x \le 2L
\end{cases},$$ where ##k## and ##q## satisfy the relationship you found above. You also have ##k^2+q^2 = k_0^2## where ##k_0^2 = \frac{2mV}{\hbar^2}.## You can't solve for ##k## and ##q## exactly. You should write C' in terms of A'.

Likes deedsy
vela said:
##\psi_1## and ##\psi_2## are not wave equations; they're solutions to the wave equation.

Since E<V and you want q to be real, it should be ##q = \sqrt{\frac{2m(V-E)}{\hbar^2}}.##

You've found them for the most part. You have
$$\psi(x)=\begin{cases}
A' \sin kx & 0 \le x \le L \\
C' \sinh q(x-2L) & L < x \le 2L
\end{cases},$$ where ##k## and ##q## satisfy the relationship you found above. You also have ##k^2+q^2 = k_0^2## where ##k_0^2 = \frac{2mV}{\hbar^2}.## You can't solve for ##k## and ##q## exactly. You should write C' in terms of A'.

thanks vela - Just to make sure I understand what is going on in this problem: so to find the different energy eigenfunction equations for the different energy states, I solve my energy eigenvalue equation for E (my book uses a plotting and intersection method for the infinite square well), the number of intersections = my number of different every states? So the energy eigenfunction equations would all be the same except substituting in the different E values for each one? And these energy eigenfunction equations take two different forms over the two regions - before and in the potential well?

Other than that, once I clean up my two equations writing C' in terms of A' and relating k and q, that should just be the answer.

Last edited:
That's correct.

great- thanks

1. What is an infinite well with potential step?

An infinite well with potential step is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle in a confined space with a sudden change in potential energy. It consists of an infinite potential barrier on either side of a finite region with a different potential energy.

2. Why is it important to find the energy eigenfunctions of an infinite well with potential step?

The energy eigenfunctions of an infinite well with potential step describe the possible energy states and corresponding wave functions of a particle in this system. They are essential for understanding the behavior and properties of quantum particles in confined spaces with varying potential energies.

3. How do you find the energy eigenfunctions of an infinite well with potential step?

The energy eigenfunctions of an infinite well with potential step can be found by solving the Schrödinger equation for the given potential energy function. This involves using boundary conditions and applying mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and normalization to obtain the eigenfunctions and corresponding energy values.

4. What are the applications of the energy eigenfunctions of an infinite well with potential step?

The energy eigenfunctions of an infinite well with potential step have various applications in quantum mechanics, such as in understanding the behavior of electrons in semiconductors and the tunneling effect. They also have practical applications in developing technologies such as quantum computing and nanotechnology.

5. Can the energy eigenfunctions of an infinite well with potential step be generalized to other systems?

Yes, the concept of energy eigenfunctions can be applied to various other quantum systems, such as the harmonic oscillator and the hydrogen atom. However, the specific form of the eigenfunctions will vary depending on the potential energy function of the system.