Finding the explicit solution of a trig equation

In summary: They are special because they determine the values of ##x## where the function is zero. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of solving an equation and finding explicit and implicit solutions. An explicit solution gives the exact values of x that make the equation true, while an implicit solution determines a set of possible values for x that satisfy the equation. In some cases, it may not be possible to find an explicit solution and numerical methods must be used.
fog37
Hello,

I understand that solving an equation like f(x)=0 means finding those values of x that make the equality true.

In the case of some difficult trig equations (like sin(x)+tan(3x+2)+cos^2(x)=5 which I just made it) it may not be possible to find an explicit solution. What does that mean? Why is exactly a solution that is called explicit? Is there an implicit solution?

I would say that an explicit solution gives the exact x values that render the equation true...

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
##sin(x)+tan(3x+2)+cos^2(x)-5=0## is the implicit solution, as it determines the set of values ##x## which makes the equation true. An explicit solution would be something like ##x= z\cdot \dfrac{\pi}{4}\; , \;z \in \mathbb{Z}##. This is easy for functions like sine and cosine, and presumably impossible for those of your equation. In such a case one has to compute numerically solutions, which are by nature not exact nor can you compute all of them.

The function (interpreted as f(x)=0) is periodic with a period of 2 pi, in this case you can numerically calculate all solutions in 0 to 2 pi and all others are an integer multiple of 2 pi larger/smaller. There are equations where this doesn’t work, however.

Thank you fresh_42. I guess so since all the trig identities I tried don't get me close to a form where I can take an inverse function and solve for x. That means explicit solutions does not exist. If x was small, I could approximate the various terms to polynomials. Butt no if x can have any value...

Why is the equation equal to zero the implicit solution? All I see is an equation set equal to zero with various possible x values as solutions...

Thanks mfb. Numerical is the way to go unless there are fancy substitution tricks or sophisticated approaches to manipulate the various trig terms into something manageable.

fog37 said:
If x was small, I could approximate the various terms to polynomials.
That is still possible but it wouldn't help here - you would need to many terms and still get something that has to be solved numerically.
fog37 said:
Why is the equation equal to zero the implicit solution? All I see is an equation set equal to zero with various possible x values as solutions...
That is exactly what an implicit solution means. You have an equation (more generally, a set of equations) that has to be satisfied for solutions.

fog37 said:
Why is the equation equal to zero the implicit solution?
##A(x)=5## is as good as ##A(x)-5=0## is, there is no difference. It is just a convention to write them as ##\ldots =0## because these roots (values of ##x## with ##\ldots =0##) are one of the first things you want to know about a function.

What is the definition of an explicit solution of a trig equation?

An explicit solution of a trig equation is a specific value or set of values that satisfies the equation and can be easily expressed in terms of the variables in the equation.

How do you find the explicit solution of a trig equation?

To find the explicit solution of a trig equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and apply relevant trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equation. Then, you can use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the variable.

What are the common trigonometric identities and properties used to solve trig equations?

Some common trigonometric identities and properties used to solve trig equations include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. It is also helpful to know the basic trigonometric ratios and their values for common angles.

What are some tips for solving trig equations efficiently?

It is important to carefully apply trigonometric identities and properties in the correct order when solving trig equations. It can also be helpful to rewrite the equation in terms of a single trigonometric function to simplify the problem. Additionally, checking your solutions and using a calculator for more complex equations can ensure accuracy.

Are there any special cases to consider when finding the explicit solution of a trig equation?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving trig equations, such as when the equation involves a trigonometric function with an undefined value or when the equation has multiple solutions. It is important to carefully consider these cases and determine if any restrictions or extraneous solutions exist.