Finding the impulse of a hockey puck colliding with a wall

In summary, the problem involves a 261 g hockey puck sliding on ice at a speed of 5.34 m/s and hitting a wall at a 27.3° angle. It bounces back with the same speed and angle after being in contact with the wall for 10.9 ms. The solution involves calculating the impulse and average force exerted by the puck on the wall using the given equations, but a mistake in the degree/radian setting may have caused an incorrect answer.
waldosa

Homework Statement

A 261 g hockey puck is sliding on ice with a speed of 5.34 m/s hits a wall at an angle of 27.3° to the wall and bounces back at the same angle with the same speed.

a) If the wall and the hockey puck are in contact for 10.9 ms, find the magnitude of the impulse on the puck.
b) Calculate the average force exerted by the puck on the wall.

Homework Equations

J = F*∆t = ∆p
p = m*v
a = ∆v/∆t

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I assumed that velocity in the x is not changing, and thus ∆Vx = ∆px = 0. Based on that, I assumed that any impulse/change in momentum, can be calculated from the y-component.

Jy = J = m*∆Vy
= m(Vfy - Viy) _____ Viy = -Vfy
= m (2Vfy)
=2*m*Vfy = (2)(0.261)(5.34 sin 27.3)
J = 2.306 kg*m/s

however, it says that this answer is incorrect. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong, as only the initial and final velocities in the y are changing, and thus Jy = J.

b) I'm assuming that the average force can be calculated via J = F*∆t, as i don't have the correct magnitude of the impulse yet, I haven't been able to calculate it correctly

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your calculator for the degree/radian setting!

Wow I can't believe I missed that, thanks!

1. What is impulse in physics?

Impulse in physics refers to the change in momentum of an object over a period of time. It is equal to the force applied to the object multiplied by the duration of the force.

2. How is impulse related to the collision of a hockey puck and a wall?

In the context of a hockey puck colliding with a wall, impulse is the force applied by the wall to the puck over a short period of time. This force causes a change in the momentum of the puck.

3. How do you calculate the impulse of a hockey puck colliding with a wall?

The impulse of a hockey puck colliding with a wall can be calculated using the formula: Impulse = Force x Time. The force can be calculated using the equation F = m x Δv, where m is the mass of the puck and Δv is the change in velocity.

4. Why is it important to find the impulse of a hockey puck colliding with a wall?

Finding the impulse of a hockey puck colliding with a wall can help us understand the forces at play during the collision. It can also help in designing equipment and safety measures to prevent injuries during hockey games.

5. What are the units of impulse?

The SI unit for impulse is kg*m/s, which is equivalent to newton-seconds (N*s). It can also be expressed in terms of mass, velocity, and time, as kg*m/s = kg*(m/s)*s.