Finding the Jordan decomposition

In summary, The linear transformation T is defined by two equations and the goal is to find a triangular matrix B and an invertible matrix S such that SB=AS where A is the matrix of T with respect to the given basis. The solution involves finding a new basis and using Jordan decomposition to find matrices D and N, which will ultimately lead to the desired triangular matrix B. If there are degenerate eigenvalues, the Jordan normal form will be used instead, resulting in N having non-zero entries.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

I have a linear transformation T defined by
$$
T(v_{1})=v_{1}+iv_{2}\\
T(v_{2})=-iv_{1}+v_{2}\\
$$
and I want to find a triangular matrix B of T and an invertible matrix S such that SB=AS where A is the matrix of T with respect to the basis ##\{v_{1},v_{2}\}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

The matrix A is
$$
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & -i \\
i & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}.
$$
From the proof of the triangular form theorem, I know that I need to find a new basis ##\{w_{1},w_{2}\}## such that ##Tw_{1}=0## and ##(T-2)w_{2}=0## since the minimal polynomial is ##m(T)=T(T-2)=0## but I must be messing something up because there is no way I can create a triangular matrix B from ##w_{1}## and ##w_{2}##. If I find a linear combination of ##v_{1},v_{2}## equal to ##w_{1}## such that ##Tw_{1}=0## then the first column of my matrix B would always be 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's okay to have zeros on the diagonal.

vela said:
It's okay to have zeros on the diagonal.

Hmm. I am choosing the new basis ##w_{1}=v_{1}-iv_{2}## and ##w_{2}=v_{1}+iv_{2}## which gives me
$$
B=\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 \\
0 & 2 \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$
and
$$
S=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 \\
-i & i \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$
which gives me the SB=AS that I need but then when I do the Jordan decomposition is it okay to have
$$
D=\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 \\
0 & 2 \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$
and
$$
N=\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \\
\end{pmatrix}
$$
so that T=D+N?

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with what you're trying to do. D, I assume, is supposed to be a diagonal matrix. What is N defined to be?

vela said:
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with what you're trying to do. D, I assume, is supposed to be a diagonal matrix. What is N defined to be?

I am trying to find the Jordan Decomposition of T. That is what it is called in my book. From a quick search it doesn't look like it goes by the name of Jordan Decomposition on wikipedia.

In my book D is defined to be a diagonalizable linear transformation while N is defined to be a nilpotent linear transformation such that T=D+N.

Your N is definitely nilpotent, so that decomposition looks fine to me. Since the transformation you were given doesn't have degenerate eigenvalues, the associated eigenvectors will form a basis, and you should expect the similarity transformation to yield a diagonal matrix and to therefore have N=0.

If you had degenerate eigenvalues, it's then possible that the eigenvectors won't form a basis, and you'd have to resort to generalized eigenvectors. In this case, the similarity transformation would yield an almost-diagonal matrix, the so-called Jordan normal form, and N would have non-zero entries just above some of the diagonal elements.

DeadOriginal said:
I am trying to find the Jordan Decomposition of T. That is what it is called in my book. From a quick search it doesn't look like it goes by the name of Jordan Decomposition on wikipedia.
It seems to go by the name Jordan-Chevalley decomposition.

Related to Finding the Jordan decomposition

What is the Jordan decomposition?

The Jordan decomposition is a mathematical concept that decomposes a matrix into two components: a diagonalizable matrix and a nilpotent matrix. It is useful in understanding the properties and behavior of linear transformations.

Why is the Jordan decomposition important?

The Jordan decomposition allows us to simplify complex matrices into more manageable components. It also helps in solving systems of linear equations and understanding the geometric properties of linear transformations.

How do you find the Jordan decomposition?

To find the Jordan decomposition, you need to first find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the matrix. Then, using these eigenvectors, you can construct the diagonalizable matrix and the nilpotent matrix. Finally, you can combine these two matrices to get the Jordan decomposition.

Can every matrix be decomposed using the Jordan decomposition?

No, not every matrix can be decomposed using the Jordan decomposition. Only square matrices with complex entries can be decomposed in this way.

What are the applications of the Jordan decomposition?

The Jordan decomposition has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used in image processing, signal processing, control systems, and many other areas where linear transformations are involved.