Finding the kinetic energy of a proton in megaelectron volts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of charged particles to probe the internal structure of atomic nuclei. The question poses a problem involving the kinetic energy and initial velocity of a proton as it approaches a lead nucleus. The key equations used include those for kinetic energy, electric potential, work, force, and Coulomb's law. The solution involves converting units and using the equation for potential energy to find the required kinetic energy for the proton to reach the surface of the lead nucleus. The correct answer is 16.8 MeV, which was initially miscalculated due to confusion between eV and V as units of energy. The recommended use of more convenient units such as MeV and fm is suggested.
Violagirl

Homework Statement

Charged particles such as protons are accelerated to high velocities and are allowed to collide with atomic nuclei to probe their internal structure. The electric potential outside of a point charge Ze. A) A lead nucleus (Z - 82) is approximately described as a sphere of radius 7 x 10-15 m. How much kinetic energy in megaelectron volts (1Me V = 106 electron volts) must a proton have to overcome the electrical repulsion and reach its surface? B) What is the corresponding initial velocity?

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy:

1/2mv2 = e Δ V

V = U/q

U = W = F * D

F = q * E

E = kq/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I posted all key equations above that I used to try to solve for part a. So I started out by solving for E:

E = kQ/r2 = (9.0 x 109 N m2/r2 (1.6 x 10-19 C)/(7 x 10-15 m)2 = 2.93 x 1019 N/C

From there, I used E to find F:

F = q * E = (1.6 x 10-19 C) (2.93 x 1019 N/C) = 4.688 N

From there, I found U:

U = (F) ( D) = (4.688 N) (7 x 10-15 m) = 3.2816 x 10-14 J

Finally, solved for V:

V = U/q = (3.2861 x 10-14 J)/(1.6 x 10-19 C = 2.05 x 105 V

Solving for megavolts:

2.05 x 105 (1 meV/106 V) = .205 MeV

However, this turned out to be wrong. The answer in my solutions manual says that it should be 16.8 MeV. What did I do wrong in this problem?

Otherwise I figured for part b, I would use the equation:

1/2mv2 = eV to find v, the initial velocity. But can't quite yet without MeV for part a...

Physics news on Phys.org
Approaching the nucleus charge +Ze, the proton charge +e is exchanging kinetic energy with potential energy.
It has to start out with at least as much kinetic energy as the difference in potential energy between it's start and finish radii. You know an equation for potential energy of a charge at a distance r from another charge.

Basically you seem to have confused eV with V.
1eV is the kinetic energy change in an electron moving through a potential difference of 1V
i.e. it is a unit of energy... so you can convert directly from Joules.
... but it is best practice to do your calculations with more convenient units - like:

##\small ke^2=1.4400\text{MeV.fm}##

... since you have radius in fm and you want energy in MeV.
http://www.phas.ubc.ca/~mcmillan/rqpdfs/3_particle_nature_of_matter.pdf

Similarly ##\small m_pc^2=938\text{MeV}## and ##\small E_K=(\gamma-1)m_pc^2 \approx \frac{1}{2}(m_pc^2)(v/c)^2##
... let's you get the speed in terms of the speed of light.

You'll find these numbers much much easier to remember and use than SI units ;)

Last edited:

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle that has a positive charge and is found in the nucleus of an atom.

What is a megaelectron volt?

A megaelectron volt (MeV) is a unit of energy commonly used in particle physics and nuclear medicine. It is equal to one million electron volts.

How do you find the kinetic energy of a proton in megaelectron volts?

To find the kinetic energy of a proton in megaelectron volts, you can use the equation K = (1/2)mv², where K is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the proton, and v is its velocity. You can then convert the result from joules to megaelectron volts by dividing by 1.602 x 10^-13.

Why is finding the kinetic energy of a proton in megaelectron volts important?

Finding the kinetic energy of a proton in megaelectron volts is important in particle physics and nuclear medicine because it helps researchers understand the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles. It is also used in medical procedures such as proton therapy, where high-energy protons are used to target and destroy cancer cells.