Finding the magnetic vector potential

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field, scalar electric potential, and magnetic vector potential for a given electromagnetic wave. The magnetic field is determined to be perpendicular to the direction of propagation and is dependent on the electric field. The presence of free charge and current density is needed to solve for the potentials. The conversation also mentions the need to consider the gauge used and the time varying fields when calculating the potentials.
Je m'appelle
I'm supposed to find the magnetic field, the scalar electric potential and magnetic vector potential for the following electromagnetic wave:

[tex]\vec{E} = E_0 cos (kz - \omega t) \left \{ \hat{x} + \hat{y} \right \}[/tex]

Alright, the magnetic field goes as

[tex]\vec{B} = \frac{1}{c} \hat{k} \times \vec{E} [/tex]

[tex]\vec{B} = \frac{E_0}{c} cos (kz - \omega t) \left \{ \hat{z} \times \hat{x} + \hat{z} \times \hat{y} \right \} [/tex]

[tex]\vec{B} = \frac{E_0}{c} cos (kz - \omega t) \left \{ \hat{y} - \hat{x} \right \} [/tex]

I used [itex]\hat{k} = \hat{z} [/itex] since the wave seems to be traveling through the z-axis.

Now when it comes to the potentials, I'm lost. I know, for once, that I can't directly apply [itex]V = - \int \vec{E} . \vec{d \ell} [/itex] since the electric field is no longer constant.

Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the additional information about the presence of free charge and current density to solve for the potentials.

These are vacuum solutions of the wave equation, so you can assume ##\rho=0## and ##\vec{J}=0##.

A good place to start (and the reason the template you deleted is supposed to be there) is to find the relevant equations which relate the fields to the potentials.

Likes blue_leaf77
Je m'appelle said:
Now when it comes to the potentials, I'm lost. I know, for once, that I can't directly apply [itex]V = - \int \vec{E} . \vec{d \ell} [/itex] since the electric field is no longer constant.

For the line integral [itex]V = - \int \vec{E} . \vec{d \ell} [/itex], you do not need a constant function to do the integral (maybe review some vector calculus?). You also need to consider what gauge you're using since you have time varying fields.

1. What is the magnetic vector potential?

The magnetic vector potential is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the magnetic field in a given region of space. It is a vector quantity that is related to the magnetic field by a mathematical equation.

2. How is the magnetic vector potential calculated?

The magnetic vector potential is calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which is an equation that relates the magnetic field to the current distribution in a given region of space. It can also be calculated using Maxwell's equations, specifically the curl of the magnetic field equation.

3. What is the physical significance of the magnetic vector potential?

The magnetic vector potential is a useful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic fields. It can be used to calculate the magnetic field at any point in space, and it is also related to the energy stored in a magnetic field.

4. How is the magnetic vector potential related to the scalar magnetic potential?

The magnetic vector potential and the scalar magnetic potential are both mathematical representations of the magnetic field. The scalar magnetic potential is a scalar quantity, while the magnetic vector potential is a vector quantity. They are related by the gradient operator, with the magnetic vector potential being the curl of the scalar magnetic potential.

5. What are some real-life applications of the magnetic vector potential?

The magnetic vector potential has many practical applications, including in the design of motors, generators, and other electromagnetic devices. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI, and in the study of magnetohydrodynamics in plasma physics and astrophysics.