Finding the Minimum Magnetic Field for Coil Tipping: A Scientific Analysis

• Thread starter babita
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetics
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in magnetics where a square coil with side A and carrying current I is placed on a table and a magnetic field B parallel to one of the edges is switched on. The question is to find the minimum magnetic field for which the coil will start tipping over. After considering the net magnetic force and torque, the solution involves equating the torque due to the magnetic force and the torque due to the weight of the coil, with the pivot point being the far leg of the coil. This results in finding the minimum magnetic field necessary for the coil to tip over.
babita
a problem in magnetics...

i've been stuck here for long....please help
;
a square coil of side A ,carrying a current I ,is placed on a table and a magnetic field B parallel to one of the edges is switched on. the mass of coil is M
now the question says-"find min magnetic field for which the coil will start tipping over"
this is how i went
net magnetic force = zero
net torque due to magnetic force= BI(L^2)
net torque due to wieght=0
have seen its solution which says
torque due to mag force=torque due to wieght
nd equates Mg(L/2)=BI(L^2)
which goes over my head.
pleasezzzzzzzz helpppppppppppp

Physics news on Phys.org

Why do you think the net torque due to weight is 0? You've basically solved the problem once you realize there is a torque from the weight of the coil. If the two torques are competing, then while the loop is resting on the table the torque from gravity is either stronger or equal to the magnetic torque on the loop. However, if the torque from the coil is stronger than the torque from gravity the loops tips over.

i can't understand it...
there are 2 arms of loop that experience magnetic force...consider each arm - one would have torque due to magnetic force BI(L^2)/2 and a opposite torque due to weight Mg/4 * L/2 (shouldn't mass of only the arm be considered?) and on second one both torques in same direction
the torque due to weight on each arm is in opposite directions and cancels out

pleasezzzzzzzzzzzzz replyyyyyyyyyyyy

You're viewing the loop as floating. The loop is on the table so only the end that has torque in the direction of free space will move.

Last edited:

and so?

So ignore the torque at the other end because that end cannot move.

ok then...i get Mg/4 *L\2 = BI(L^2)/2 ...which is still wrong!

No, take your pivot point to be the far leg (because this leg will always be pushed into the table by both gravity and the magnetic field it will actually be anchored pretty well), and now the torque due to gravity acts on the center of mass.

kkkk...got it...thanks

1. What causes magnetism in objects?

Magnetism is caused by the alignment of the atomic spins in a material. When the spins of the atoms are aligned, they create a magnetic field.

2. How is magnetism measured?

Magnetism is measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between ferromagnetism and paramagnetism?

Ferromagnetism is the ability of a material to retain a strong magnetic field even after an external magnetic field is removed, while paramagnetism is the temporary alignment of magnetic moments in response to an external magnetic field.

4. How does temperature affect magnetism?

As temperature increases, the thermal energy disrupts the alignment of the atomic spins, causing a decrease in magnetism. This effect is more pronounced in paramagnetic materials.

5. Can magnetism be turned off or on in a material?

In most materials, magnetism cannot be turned off or on. However, in some materials, such as ferromagnetic materials, the alignment of atomic spins can be manipulated by applying an external magnetic field, essentially turning the magnetism on or off.