Finding the Mode of a continous distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses the mode of a uniform distribution and whether it can have a maximum value. It is clarified that the mode is not always equal to the mean or median, and that for a normal distribution, the mean, mode, and median are all equal. The conversation also briefly touches on the probability of a continuous distribution equaling a specific real number.
chwala
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I am just going through the literature on Median and mode of continous data. It is quite clear to me on how to get Median i.e from the Function of the probability distribution and also on how to find the Mode i.e which is the gradient of the probability distribution (in essence the probability density function).
1667395081476.png

Attached is my reference on the literature.

My question is; ' are there cases where we may have a continuous distribution that has no Mode value? or is it that the Mode will always be there due to the reason that any given function will have a maximum at some point. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the mode of a uniform distribution?

Also, a PDF need not have a maximum, for example: [tex]
f : x \mapsto \begin{cases} 0 & x \leq 0 \\ \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}} & 0 < x < 1 \\ 0 & x \geq 1 \end{cases}[/tex]

pasmith said:

f : x \mapsto \begin{cases} 0 & x \leq 0 \\ \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}} & 0 < x < 1 \\ 0 & x \geq 1 \end{cases}[/tex]
Mode of a uniform distribution ##=0.5## which is also equal to Median = Mean.

pasmith said:

I'll check this later...thanks...

chwala said:
Mode of a uniform distribution ##=0.5## which is also equal to Median = Mean.
Why would the more of a uniform distribution be 0.5? That doesn’t follow from the definition

pasmith said:

Mode would be
Dale said:
Why would the more of a uniform distribution be 0.5? That doesn’t follow from the definition
I got the definition wrong. I thought (it was a general question) and that uniform equates to the Normal distribution. Wrong!

To be clear, the Mode being asked is in reference to post ##2## right...if so then i will check it out.

pasmith said:

...here, the pdf

##f_x =\left[- \dfrac{1}{4\sqrt{x^3}}\right]=\left[-\dfrac{1}{4}+\dfrac{1}{0}\right]##

##x## cannot be defined at ##x=0## thus we would not have a maximum point implying no mode.

Likes pbuk and Dale
What is the probability that a continuous distribution equals any individual real number?

BWV said:
What is the probability that a continuous distribution equals any individual real number?
? I do not understand your question.

BWV said:
I think you have confused @chwala: this is not relevant to the definition of the mode. The mode of the normal distribution is 0 because the PDF attains its maximum there.

pbuk said:
I think you have confused @chwala: this is not relevant to the definition of the mode. The mode of the normal distribution is 0 because the PDF attains its maximum there.
True i.e for a Normal distribution Mean = Mode = Median=0

...but I would like to understand that question from @BWV ...

Last edited:
chwala said:
True i.e for a symmetrical Normal distribution Mean = Mode = Median=0

...but I would like to understand that question from @BWV ...
I missed part of your OP where you stated the definition of the mode for a continuous distribution, so not relevant

1. What is the mode of a continuous distribution?

The mode of a continuous distribution is the value that occurs most frequently in the data set. It represents the peak or highest point of the distribution.

2. How is the mode calculated for a continuous distribution?

The mode can be calculated by finding the highest point on a graph of the distribution, or by using a formula such as the mean, median, and mode formula. This involves finding the value with the highest frequency in the data set.

3. Can the mode be a decimal or fraction?

Yes, the mode can be a decimal or fraction in a continuous distribution. It does not have to be a whole number. For example, in a distribution of heights, the mode may be 5.5 feet.

4. How does the mode differ from the mean and median?

The mode differs from the mean and median because it represents the most frequently occurring value in the data set, while the mean is the average of all the values and the median is the middle value when the data set is arranged in order. The mode is not affected by extreme values, while the mean and median can be influenced by outliers.

5. What is the significance of finding the mode in a continuous distribution?

Finding the mode in a continuous distribution can help identify the most common or typical value in the data set. It can also provide insights into the shape and characteristics of the distribution, such as whether it is symmetric or skewed. Additionally, the mode can be used to make predictions or decisions based on the most frequently occurring value.