Finding the nth roots of a complex number

In summary: Thanks for all the helpAs for the k value I was just wondering if there was a restriction since I am just starting to learn this stuff. But I guess it would be like saying k+1 is restricted to positive integers which obviously its not. So I answered my own question...In summary, to find the sixth roots of i, one can use the formula z= r^(1/6)*e^i((5kpi)/12) for k=0,1,2...n-1, where n is the total number of roots. It is important to note that k can be any integer, positive or negative, but values for k that differ by a multiple of 6 will give the same root
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

find the sixth roots of i.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started by

Arg(z)=pi/2 and |z|=1=r n=6

so z= r^(1/6)*e^i((5kpi)/12) for k=0,1,2...n-1

and that's as far as I got

and there answer = e^i*n*pi/12 for n= -1, -7, -3, 1, 5, 9

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you add ([itex]\frac{\pi}{12}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{4k\pi}{12}[/itex]) to get [itex]\frac{5k\pi}{12}[/itex]?

I don't think you can just add it like that, k is a variable.

It would be like adding 3 + 3x and saying that's 6x.

Leave it in the expanded form, and then sub in your values of k, that should give you matching answers to the solution, or so I think, check it again I didn't write it out and try it.

NewtonianAlch said:
Did you add ([itex]\frac{\pi}{12}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{4k\pi}{12}[/itex]) to get [itex]\frac{5k\pi}{12}[/itex]?

I don't think you can just add it like that, k is a variable.

It would be like adding 3 + 3x and saying that's 6x.

Leave it in the expanded form, and then sub in your values of k, that should give you matching answers to the solution, or so I think, check it again I didn't write it out and try it.

Ok that makes sense but I run into problems when trying to find the negative values ie, I get

1*e^(n*pi)/12 for n=1,5,9... then I get 13,17,21 but the answer says -11,-7,-3... I can just work it out since I realized the roots are in = increments so i can subtract 4 from 1 then subtract 4 from -3 and so on...

but I was curious as to why I run into trouble here??

I'm not too sure what you're doing with the substitutions, but it might be your approach.

Backtrack a bit to where you calculated up to here:

([itex]\frac{\pi}{12}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{4k\pi}{12}[/itex])

Instead of doing what you did by adding it. Now substitute in values for k.

For e.g. k = 0, you will get [itex]\frac{\pi}{12}[/itex], if you take k = 3, you know that will go outside the bound of the principal argument, so you select k = 2, and you get [itex]\frac{9\pi}{12}[/itex]

Compare these two to the answer, they match for n = 1, and n = 9 don't they?

Essentially, when you substitute a k-value your final answer becomes something of the form [itex]\frac{n\pi}{12}[/itex]

For now, use the method you were doing earlier, substitute k-values get your 6 roots, and then you will see how the match up with [itex]\frac{n\pi}{12}[/itex], you will get the negative values by simply substituting negative k-values.

NewtonianAlch said:
I'm not too sure what you're doing with the substitutions, but it might be your approach.

Backtrack a bit to where you calculated up to here:

([itex]\frac{\pi}{12}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{4k\pi}{12}[/itex])

Instead of doing what you did by adding it. Now substitute in values for k.

For e.g. k = 0, you will get [itex]\frac{\pi}{12}[/itex], if you take k = 3, you know that will go outside the bound of the principal argument, so you select k = 2, and you get [itex]\frac{9\pi}{12}[/itex]

Compare these two to the answer, they match for n = 1, and n = 9 don't they?

Essentially, when you substitute a k-value your final answer becomes something of the form [itex]\frac{n\pi}{12}[/itex]

For now, use the method you were doing earlier, substitute k-values get your 6 roots, and then you will see how the match up with [itex]\frac{n\pi}{12}[/itex], you will get the negative values by simply substituting negative k-values.

ok that was basically what I was doing it but I thought k was restricted to the positive integers.?

Why would k be restricted to positive integers only? Unless the question specifically asks for the roots when k is positive, but it doesn't.

NewtonianAlch said:
Why would k be restricted to positive integers only? Unless the question specifically asks for the roots when k is positive, but it doesn't.

The way someone showed me was that you add 2kpi to get more solutions where k=1,2,3...n-1.

By the way can you tell me if this is right??

Find all complex fourth roots of -1-i

so arctan(1)=pi/4 since its in the third quad then subtract pi so Arg(z)= -3pi/4
and |z|=sqrt(2)

so 2^1/8((cos((-3pi/4)+2kpi)+isin((-3pi/4)+2kpi))/n)

= 2^1/8 {(cos[-3pi+8kpi]+isin[-3pi+8kpi])/16} ----> for k =-1,0,1,2

=2^1/8 e^i(npi)/16 where n = -11,-3,5,13

?

Yes, those look correct, but beware of how you're expressing fractional exponents in polar form.

This is a bit hard to read, but...

{(cos[-3pi+8kpi]+isin[-3pi+8kpi])/16}

That 16 should be included in the theta value for cos and sin.

cos(-3Pi/16) is not the same thing as cos(-3Pi)/16

Remember, you can always easily check your answers using online calculators.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=roots+z^4+%3D+-1+-i

And yes, you add 2kPi to get more solutions as you've done here, but you can still use negative values of k, as that negative signs means you're going the other way.

Your error is multiplying the exponent for the sixth root by k. You need and additive term.

Since sine and cosine are periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex], the exponential is periodic with period [itex]2\pi i[/itex]. So [itex]i= e^{(\pi/2+2k\pi)i}[/itex] for any integer i.

From that, [itex]i^{1/6}= e^{(\pi/12+ k\pi/3)i}[/itex]. k can be any integer but a given k and k+ 6 or k- 6 will give the same number so there are exactly 6 distinct sixth roots.

NewtonianAlch said:
Yes, those look correct, but beware of how you're expressing fractional exponents in polar form.

This is a bit hard to read, but...

{(cos[-3pi+8kpi]+isin[-3pi+8kpi])/16}

That 16 should be included in the theta value for cos and sin.

cos(-3Pi/16) is not the same thing as cos(-3Pi)/16

Remember, you can always easily check your answers using online calculators.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=roots+z^4+%3D+-1+-i

And yes, you add 2kPi to get more solutions as you've done here, but you can still use negative values of k, as that negative signs means you're going the other way.

The only problem with wolfram is I can't really seem to get it in polar form so I can check my answers.

Although I just purchased maple so hopefully I will be able to work that out.

HallsofIvy said:
Your error is multiplying the exponent for the sixth root by k. You need and additive term.

Since sine and cosine are periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex], the exponential is periodic with period [itex]2\pi i[/itex]. So [itex]i= e^{(\pi/2+2k\pi)i}[/itex] for any integer i.

From that, [itex]i^{1/6}= e^{(\pi/12+ k\pi/3)i}[/itex]. k can be any integer but a given k and k+ 6 or k- 6 will give the same number so there are exactly 6 distinct sixth roots.

Is this answer for the original problem or the later posted??

It's for the original of course...he's talking about the 1/6 roots of i.

Getting some of the answers in a form you can understand in MAPLE can be a bit tricky.

Generally it's convert(%,polar) and evalc(%) that moves things around with Re(%) and Im(%)

NewtonianAlch said:
It's for the original of course...he's talking about the 1/6 roots of i.

Getting some of the answers in a form you can understand in MAPLE can be a bit tricky.

Generally it's convert(%,polar) and evalc(%) that moves things around with Re(%) and Im(%)
Yeah ok thanks heaps for the help its great!

charmedbeauty said:

Homework Statement

find the sixth roots of i.

Start with an easier problem. Find the square root of i. Do it by drawing i on the complex plane and visualizing geometrically why the square root of i is what it is. Generalize.

I don't know if that's too vague but you should literally be able to do this problem in your head once you have the correct visualization.

Related to Finding the nth roots of a complex number

1. What are the nth roots of a complex number?

The nth roots of a complex number are the solutions to the equation x^n = z, where x is the nth root of z and n is a positive integer. In other words, they are the numbers that when multiplied by themselves n times, result in the given complex number.

2. How do you find the nth roots of a complex number?

To find the nth roots of a complex number, start by converting the complex number into polar form. Then, use the formula x = (z^(1/n)) * e^(i(2kπ)/n), where x is the nth root, z is the complex number in polar form, and k is an integer between 0 and n-1. This formula will give you n distinct solutions, as there are n possible values for k.

3. Can you find the nth roots of a negative complex number?

Yes, you can find the nth roots of a negative complex number. However, the solutions will only be valid in the complex plane. This is because taking the nth root of a negative number results in a complex number, as there is no real number that when multiplied by itself n times, would result in a negative number.

4. What is the principal nth root of a complex number?

The principal nth root of a complex number is the root with the smallest angle in polar form. In other words, it is the root with the smallest argument, or the one that is closest to the positive real axis. This is the most commonly used root when finding the nth roots of a complex number.

5. What are the applications of finding the nth roots of complex numbers?

Finding the nth roots of complex numbers is useful in many areas of mathematics and science. It is commonly used in engineering, physics, and computer graphics to solve problems involving complex numbers. It also has applications in signal processing, cryptography, and other fields. Additionally, understanding how to find nth roots of complex numbers is important for understanding the properties of complex numbers and their operations.