Solving Complex Equation: $$ \bar{z} = z^n $$

In summary: If the r=0 doesn't it matter what n could be? I mean, n could be 1 since ## 0 = 0^n = 0^1 ##, right?Yes.If the r=0 doesn't it matter what n could be? I mean, n could be 1 since ## 0 = 0^n = 0^1 ##, right?Yes, it can also be one. However, this case (##z=0##) is already covered by ##z \in \mathbb{R}##, the first case.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
I would like to solve:
$$ \bar{z} = z^n $$ where ##n## is a positive integer.

The attempt
## z = r e^{i \theta} \\ \\ \overline{ r e^{i \theta} } = r^n e^{i \theta n} \\ r e^{-i \theta} = r^n e^{i \theta n} ##
## r = r^n \Leftrightarrow true \ \ if \ \ n=1 \ \ or \ \ r=1##
## e^{-i \theta} = e^{i \theta n} \\ -\theta = \theta n + 2 \pi k, \ k = 0,1,2...n \\ -\theta - \theta n = 2 \pi k \\ -\theta(1+n) = 2 \pi k \\ \theta(n+1) = 2 \pi k_1, \ k_1 = 0,-1,-2,...,-n \\ \theta = \frac{2 \pi k_1}{(n+1)} ##

I don't understand the answer to this problem:
If ##n=1##, then all real numbers are the solution.
If ##n>1##, then ##z=0## or ## z=e^{i\frac{2 \pi k_1}{(n+1)}} ## for ## \ k = 0,1,2...n ##

I am not sure how all real numbers could be a solution when n=1 and where they got ##z=0## and the condition ##n>1## from.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rectifier said:
The problem
I would like to solve:
$$ \bar{z} = z^n $$ where ##n## is a positive integer.

The attempt
## z = r e^{i \theta} \\ \\ \overline{ r e^{i \theta} } = r^n e^{i \theta n} \\ r e^{-i \theta} = r^n e^{i \theta n} ##
## r = r^n \Leftrightarrow true \ \ if \ \ n=1 \ \ or \ \ r=1##
## e^{-i \theta} = e^{i \theta n} \\ -\theta = \theta n + 2 \pi k, \ k = 0,1,2...n \\ -\theta - \theta n = 2 \pi k \\ -\theta(1+n) = 2 \pi k \\ \theta(n+1) = 2 \pi k_1, \ k_1 = 0,-1,-2,...,-n \\ \theta = \frac{2 \pi k_1}{(n+1)} ##

I don't understand the answer to this problem:I am not sure how all real numbers could be a solution when n=1 and where they got ##z=0## and the condition ##n>1## from.
##r=r^n## is also true for ##r=0## which you have forgotten. This results in ##z=0##
For ##z \in \mathbb{R}## and ##n=1## the condition reads ##\bar{z}=z## which is certainly true.
Now to the role of ##k##. Shouldn't it be ##k \in \mathbb{Z}## and the positive ones are just a matter of representation?

Likes Rectifier
Thank you for your comment!

If the r=0 doesn't it matter what n could be? I mean, n could be 1 since ## 0 = 0^n = 0^1 ##, right?
I understand why z=0 if r=0 now, but I don't understand why n has to be > 1 and couldn't be = 1 there.

For k, I guess, that its just matter of representation since I get the same answer as the book if I put ##2 \pi k##
on a different side when I compared exponents.

Rectifier said:
Thank you for your comment!

If the r=0 doesn't it matter what n could be? I mean, n could be 1 since ## 0 = 0^n = 0^1 ##, right?
Yes.
I understand why z=0 if r=0 now, but I don't understand why n has to be > 1 and couldn't be = 1 there.
Yes, it can also be one. However, this case (##z=0##) is already covered by ##z \in \mathbb{R}##, the first case.
For k, I guess, that its just matter of representation since I get the same answer as the book if I put ##2 \pi k##
on a different side when I compared exponents.
The ##k## says in which direction full circles are added, but both directions work: a full circle is a full circle, no matter in which direction. So the book as well as your solution should better be ##k \in \mathbb{Z}## in both cases. On the other hand, it doesn't really matter.

Likes Rectifier
I understand the part with k but, unfortunately, I still don't get the rest of it, sorry. I suspect that I misunderstand some very basic algebra.

Let me try again and provide a few more steps to my calculation:
## r=r^n \\ r \left(1-r^{n-1} \right) = 0## I understand this as ## r_1 = 0 ## if ## n \neq 1 ##. Since if ##n = 1## then we have ## r \cdot \left(1-r^{1-1} \right) \Rightarrow r \cdot 0 = 0 ## which is solved by all ##r##:s.

## 1-r^{n-1} = 0 ## leads to ## 1=r^{n-1} ## which leads to ## r_2 = 1^{\frac{1}{n-1}} ## therefore ## r_2 = 1 ##.

Since ## z=re^{i\theta n} ## then ## r_1 = 0 ## leads to ## z=0 \cdot e^{i\theta n} \Rightarrow z = 0## when ## n \neq 1 ##. We now that ## n \in \mathbb{Z^+} ## "without 1" - ## n \in \mathbb{Z^+} \setminus \{1\} ## which is bascially ## n>1 ##. It is bascially the same thing for z where ## r_2 = 1 ## and we'll get the same result as in my first post. This part I understand, somewhat. Now to the next one.Now for ##n=1##. How do I reason here?
I guess I could go back to ## r=r^n \\ r \left(1-r^{n-1} \right) = 0## and set ## n =1 ## and get ## r \cdot 0 = 0 ##. All r:s solve it but I am expecting to get ## z=r## from ## z=re^{i\theta n} ## . In that case we would need ## \theta = 0 ## since ## n = 1 ##, ## z=re^{i 0 \cdot 1} ##. But how could one reason here?

Rectifier said:
I understand the part with k but, unfortunately, I still don't get the rest of it, sorry. I suspect that I misunderstand some very basic algebra.

Let me try again and provide a few more steps to my calculation:
## r=r^n \\ r \left(1-r^{n-1} \right) = 0##
This is the correct way to look at it, yes.
I understand this as ## r_1 = 0 ## if ## n \neq 1 ##. Since if ##n = 1## then we have ## r \cdot \left(1-r^{1-1} \right) \Rightarrow r \cdot 0 = 0 ## which is solved by all ##r##:s.

## 1-r^{n-1} = 0 ## leads to ## 1=r^{n-1} ## which leads to ## r_2 = 1^{\frac{1}{n-1}} ## therefore ## r_2 = 1 ##.
Yes. You could also just say: ##r=0 \,\, \text{ OR } \,\, 1-r^{n-1}=0##.

This way you have the logic or in between, which means, and is allowed. They can both be zero, which answers your previous question in post #3. The distinction in the book starts with ##n##. ##n## is either ##1## or greater than ##1##. This separates all further consideration into these two parts. As the result is a combination of ##n,r,\theta##, the combinations will be distinguished by ##n##, not by the other two numbers. There can and will still be ##(1,0,\theta)## and ##(n>1,0,\theta)##, which are different as triples, although resulting in the same number for ##z##. Similar happens to ##\theta## where you have many values resulting in the same number ##e^{i \theta}##. However, they are still different as triples, because we separated the cases ##n=1## and ##n>1##. I hope this clarifies your statement:
Since ## z=re^{i\theta n} ## then ## r_1 = 0 ## leads to ## z=0 \cdot e^{i\theta n} \Rightarrow z = 0## when ## n \neq 1 ##. We now that ## n \in \mathbb{Z^+} ## "without 1" - ## n \in \mathbb{Z^+} \setminus \{1\} ## which is bascially ## n>1 ##. It is bascially the same thing for z where ## r_2 = 1 ## and we'll get the same result as in my first post. This part I understand, somewhat. Now to the next one.
further.
Now for ##n=1##. How do I reason here?
I guess I could go back to ## r=r^n \\ r \left(1-r^{n-1} \right) = 0## and set ## n =1 ## and get ## r \cdot 0 = 0 ##. All ##r## solve it but I am expecting to get ## z=r## from ## z=re^{i\theta n} ## . In that case we would need ## \theta = 0 ## since ## n = 1 ##, ## z=re^{i 0 \cdot 1} ##. But how could one reason here?
You have forgotten the step before ##r \left(1-r^{n-1} \right) = 0##.
The reason why we got this equation is, that we looked at ##\overline{re^{i \theta}} = r^ne^{i n \theta}## and compared only their length:
$$
\overline{re^{i \theta}} = r^ne^{i n \theta} \Rightarrow |\overline{re^{i \theta}}| = |r^ne^{i n \theta}| \Rightarrow r = r^n \Rightarrow r(1-r^{n-1}=0 \Rightarrow r=0 \,\, \text{ OR }\,\, n=1
$$
That means we deduced a necessary condition which must hold, if ##\bar{z}=z^n##. It means the absolute value (length) of our complex numbers ##\bar{z},z^n## has to be equal. It does not mean, that automatically all such numbers are a solution. So ##r=0 \,\, \text{ OR } \,\, n=1## has always to hold. Now we can distinguish the cases ##n=1## and ##n>1##. One of them has to be true, and only one.

CASE 1
: ##n=1##
This means ##\bar{z}=z^1=z## which is equivalent to ##z \in \mathbb{R}## which automatically means ##\theta = 0## per convention.
Now we formally will have to check, whether all reals are actually a solution. O.k. this is easy and true. Thus all ##(n,r,\theta) = (1,r,0)## are a solution, which still means ##z## is real.

CASE 2: ##n>1##
This means ##r=0 \Leftrightarrow z=0 \,\, \text{ OR } \,\, r=1## are the only solutions. The case ##r=0## is clear. Now from here we have to consider more cases:
Given ##n>1, r=1##, which are necessary condition on ##\theta\,?## You have found that under these circumstances, ##\theta = \dfrac{2 \pi k}{n+1}## for all ##k \in \mathbb{Z}##. This is still a necessary condition, because we only have considered conclusions from ##\bar{z}=z^n##. Now we formally will have to check, whether all those complex numbers ##z=1 \cdot e^{i \theta}## are actually a solution. This is the case, so all possibilities are checked.

In sum we have
$$
\{z=re^{i\theta}\triangleq (n,r,\theta)\,\vert \,\bar{z}=z^n\} = \{(n,r,\theta)\,\vert \,n=1 \wedge r\in \mathbb{R}\wedge \theta \stackrel{(*)}{=} 0\} \cup \{(n,r,\theta)\,\vert \, n>1 \wedge r=0 \wedge \theta \stackrel{(*)}{=} 0 ) \} \cup \{(n,r,\theta)\,\vert \, n>1 \wedge r=1 \wedge \theta =\frac{2 \pi k}{n+1} (k \in \mathbb{Z}) \}
$$
and the unions are not all disjoint and ##(*)## per convention of how the reals are considered as complex numbers.

By the way, the formal step from ##1 \cdot e^{-i \frac{2 \pi k}{n+1}}= 1 \cdot e^{i \frac{2 \pi k n}{n+1}}## is to multiply the equation by ##e^{+ i \frac{2 \pi k}{n+1}}## and investigate when the new exponent will be zero to match the ##1=e^0## on the left hand side.

Last edited:
Likes Rectifier
Thank you for your answer! I understand it better now!

What does the triangle above ##=## stand for here:
fresh_42 said:
$$
\{z=re^{i\theta}\triangleq (n,r,\theta)\,\vert \,\bar{z}=z^n\}
$$.

Rectifier said:
Thank you for your answer! I understand it better now!

What does the triangle above ##=## stand for here:
I used it for "corresponds to" or "is represented by". It is not an official symbol and here we have neither a form of equality nor a bijection. It just should say: "Let's have a solution ##z=re^{i\theta}=\bar{z}^n\,\triangleq\,##Let's have a solution ##(n,r,\theta) \ldots##". I simply wanted to abbreviate the long, formal road between the set of ##z's## and the set of triplets ##(n,r,\theta)##.

Likes Rectifier

1. What does the complex equation $ \bar{z} = z^n $ represent?

The complex equation $ \bar{z} = z^n $ represents a power function, where the complex conjugate of z is raised to the nth power.

2. What is the significance of the complex conjugate in this equation?

The complex conjugate is important in this equation because it allows us to find all of the solutions to the equation, since the complex roots of a polynomial equation always come in conjugate pairs.

3. How do you solve a complex equation like $ \bar{z} = z^n $?

To solve this complex equation, you need to first separate the real and imaginary parts of both sides. Then, equate the real parts and the imaginary parts separately to form a system of equations. Finally, solve for the variables using algebraic manipulation and substitution.

4. Are there any special cases for solving this type of complex equation?

Yes, there are special cases depending on the value of n. For example, when n is even, there will be two solutions for each value of z. When n is odd, there will be n distinct solutions.

5. Can this type of complex equation be solved using graphical methods?

No, graphical methods are not usually used to solve complex equations like $ \bar{z} = z^n $ because they involve complex numbers and cannot be easily represented on a 2D graph. Algebraic methods are more commonly used to solve these equations.