Finding the Origin of an Integral Identity | Numerical PDEs Homework

• Thread starter Brian T
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of an identity in solving a problem in numerical PDEs homework. The identity states that the integral of v^2 over a region D is equivalent to the integral of v^2Δϕ over D, where ϕ = (1/2d)|x|^2. The person asking the question is unsure of where this identity comes from, as they have not taken an analysis class. However, they have been learning about analysis along the way and may have figured out the origin of the identity.
Brian T
Hey all,
As I was working on my numerical PDEs homework, an identity came up which we used to solve a problem. I was able to answer the question, but my question here is where does the identity come from (I figured it has something to do with analysis) ?

The identity is
The integral of $$v^2$$ over some region D is equivalent to the integral of $$v^2\Delta \phi$$ over D, where $$\phi = \frac{1}{2d}|x|^2$$

I haven't taken an analysis class so not too sure where this comes from

Physics news on Phys.org
Brian T said:
I haven't taken an analysis class
Brian T said:
As I was working on my numerical PDEs homework
I don't understand this.

Krylov said:
I don't understand this.

The reqs for the class are the standard calc/DE/lin. alg sequence, and I've also taken the PDE theory class so I thought it was worth a shot. I've been managing to learn the basic aspects of analysis and some of the major theorems along the way, but just not too sure where the identity comes from

Actually, I think I figured it out. Abs(x) is just r, and the laplacian of r^2 is just a constant (2d), so that laplacian of phi is one, and hence the identity

1. What is identity and why is it important?

Identity refers to the characteristics, qualities, beliefs, and values that make a person unique. It plays a significant role in shaping an individual's sense of self and influences how they interact with others and the world around them. Understanding one's identity is crucial for personal growth and development.

2. How do we develop our identity?

Our identity is shaped by a combination of factors such as genetics, upbringing, experiences, and cultural influences. As we grow and experience new things, our identity evolves and becomes more complex. It is a continuous process that can be influenced by both internal and external factors.

3. Can our identity change over time?

Yes, our identity is not a static concept and can change over time. As we go through different life stages and experiences, our perspectives, beliefs, and values may evolve, resulting in a shift in our identity. Additionally, external factors such as societal expectations and cultural norms can also influence our identity.

4. How does our identity affect our behavior?

Our identity plays a crucial role in shaping our behavior. It influences our thoughts, emotions, and actions, as well as how we perceive and interpret the world. Our identity also affects our relationships and interactions with others, as it can determine our beliefs, values, and priorities.

5. Can we have multiple identities?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple identities. People often have different identities based on different roles they play in life, such as being a parent, a student, or a professional. These identities may also vary based on different social contexts and environments, such as with family, friends, or at work.