Finding the Particular solution to a Diff. Eq. System

In summary: So my question is, when we integrate u2', would we consider the constant of integration... or not because we are finding the particular? Is my process correct? Thank you peepsIn summary, the conversation discusses a system of differential equations and the process of finding the particular solution. It is suggested to use the inverse of the matrix defining the homogeneous part of the equation to find the particular solution, or to solve a linear system using the non-homogeneous part of the equation. The importance of including a minus sign in the calculation is also emphasized.
dumbdumNotSmart
Mentor note: moved from mathematics forums, therefore no homework template

Hello mates. I have a System of Differential Equations on my hands.

$$ W' = \left(\begin{matrix} 4 & 2 \\ 2 & 4 \end{matrix} \right) W + \begin{pmatrix} 6 \\6 \end{pmatrix}$$
where transposed W is (x y z). I have found the homogenous solution to said system. Finding the Particular solution is what I am not sure about. So far I have tried acquiring the particular using the homogenous solution, which I found to be:
$$ W_H = c_1 e^{6t} \left(\begin{matrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{matrix} \right) + c_2e^{2t} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}$$
Particular solution I am looking for is :
$$ W_P=\begin{pmatrix} e^{6t} & e^{2t} \\ e^{6t} & -e^{2t} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} u_1 \\u_2 \end{pmatrix} $$
And we can find it with the following equation (u' would be the derivative of u):
$$ \begin{pmatrix} 6\\6 \end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix} e^{6t} & e^{2t} \\ e^{6t} & -e^{2t} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} u_1' \\u_2' \end{pmatrix} $$

This gives us the following equations:

$$ u_1' e^{6t} + u_2' e^{2t} =6 \\ u_1'e^{6t}-u_2'e^{2t}=6 \\ \Rightarrow u_1=-e^{-6t} \land u_2=0 $$

So my question is, when we integrate u2', would we consider the constant of integration... or not because we are finding the particular? Is my process correct? Thank you peeps

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dumbdumNotSmart said:
I don't understand why you would proceed from here on in the way you do. The matrix defining the homogeneous part of the differential equation is invertible, so calculating a particular solution just amounts to taking an inverse.

And what is a "peep"?

Krylov said:
And what is a "peep"?
Singular of "peeps" -- or "people".

Mark44 said:
Singular of "peeps" -- or "people".
It sounded odd to me, thank you for the clarification.

dumbdumNotSmart said:
Mentor note: moved from mathematics forums, therefore no homework template

Hello mates. I have a System of Differential Equations on my hands.

$$ W' = \left(\begin{matrix} 4 & 2 \\ 2 & 4 \end{matrix} \right) W + \begin{pmatrix} 6 \\6 \end{pmatrix}$$
where transposed W is (x y z). I have found the homogenous solution to said system. Finding the Particular solution is what I am not sure about. So far I have tried acquiring the particular using the homogenous solution, which I found to be:
$$ W_H = c_1 e^{6t} \left(\begin{matrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{matrix} \right) + c_2e^{2t} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}$$
$$ W_P=\begin{pmatrix} e^{6t} & e^{2t} \\ e^{6t} & -e^{2t} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} u_1 \\u_2 \end{pmatrix} $$
And we can find it with the following equation (u' would be the derivative of u):
$$ \begin{pmatrix} 6\\6 \end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix} e^{6t} & e^{2t} \\ e^{6t} & -e^{2t} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} u_1' \\u_2' \end{pmatrix} $$

This gives us the following equations:

$$ u_1' e^{6t} + u_2' e^{2t} =6 \\ u_1'e^{6t}-u_2'e^{2t}=6 \\ \Rightarrow u_1=-e^{-6t} \land u_2=0 $$

So my question is, when we integrate u2', would we consider the constant of integration... or not because we are finding the particular? Is my process correct? Thank you peeps

There is an easier way: suppose
[tex] A = \pmatrix{4 & 2 \\ 2 & 4}, \;\text{and} \; r = \pmatrix{6\\6}. [/tex]
Your DE is ## W' = AW + r. ## If ##k## is the column-vector solution of ##Ak = r##, your DE reads as ##W' = A(W+k),## so the vector ##Z = W+k## satisfies ##Z' = AZ##, because ##k## is constant. So, ##W = Z-k##, where ##Z## is a solution of the homogeneous equation.

Equivalently- since the "non-homogeneous" part of the equation is the constant vector, [itex]\begin{pmatrix}6 \\ 6 \end{pmatrix}[/itex], the part of the solution due to that must be constant, say, [itex]\begin{pmatrix}A \\ B \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. The derivative of a constant is 0 so we have the equation
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}4 & 2 \\ 2 & 4 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}A\\ B\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}4A+ 2B\\ 2A+ 4B \end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}6 \\ 6 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
so we have the two equation 4A+ 2B= 6 and 2A+ 4B= 6.

I think we now have the same hint three times. Also,
HallsofIvy said:
so we have the equation
mind the minus sign: To obtain a (constant) particular solution ##W_p##, solve
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
4& 2\\
2& 4
\end{bmatrix}
W_p
= \color{red}{-}
\begin{bmatrix}
6\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$

Thanks guys. It makes sense that the non-homogenous solution would have constant elements. Although I don't understand what you are saying krylov by minding the minus sign, when did it come in play?

dumbdumNotSmart said:
Although I don't understand what you are saying krylov by minding the minus sign, when did it come in play?
When you substitute an unknown constant vector ##W_p## into the inhomogeneous equation, indeed you end up with a linear system, but you have to be careful that there is a minus sign in from of ##(6,6)## in the right-hand side. That minus sign was accidentally missing in the post of @HallsofIvy .

1. What is a particular solution to a differential equation system?

A particular solution to a differential equation system is a specific solution that satisfies all the given initial conditions of the system. It is a single solution rather than a general solution that satisfies all possible initial conditions.

2. How do you find the particular solution to a differential equation system?

To find the particular solution to a differential equation system, you need to first solve the system of equations using methods such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations. Then, substitute the initial conditions given in the problem into the solution to find the specific values of the constants in the solution, giving you the particular solution.

3. Can there be more than one particular solution to a differential equation system?

No, there can only be one particular solution to a differential equation system. This is because the particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies all the given initial conditions, and there can only be one set of values that satisfies all the conditions.

4. Is the particular solution the only solution to a differential equation system?

No, the particular solution is not the only solution to a differential equation system. There are also general solutions, which are equations that satisfy the differential equation but may not satisfy all the initial conditions. Additionally, there may be other particular solutions if the initial conditions are changed.

5. How is the particular solution different from the general solution to a differential equation system?

The particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies all the given initial conditions of the system, while the general solution is an equation that satisfies the differential equation but may not satisfy all the initial conditions. The particular solution is unique, while there may be infinite possible general solutions.