Finding the phase angle of current through a capacitor?

In summary, the current in the capacitor can be calculated using the equation i = 1*10^-6*29*377 * (-sin(377t - 30) = 0.0109sin(377t + 150). To find the phase angle, the current equation should be converted to cosine form using familiar trigonometric identities. The correct phase angle is 60 degrees, which can be found by converting sin(x+150) to cos(x+60). However, when discussing phase angle, it is usually the phase difference between voltage and current, which is 90 degrees in this case.

Homework Statement

Calculate the current in the capacitor shown in the figure below if the voltage input is V(t) = 29cos(377t-30) V, C = 1 micro Farad

Homework Equations

i = C dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I essentially differntiate V(t) and multiply by 1 * 10^-6. I then get a negative amplitude, so I add 180 degrees to the phase angle to get a positive amplitude,

i = 1*10^-6*29*377 * (-sin(377t - 30) = 0.0109sin(377t + 150)

What is the phase angle? The correct answer is 60 degrees. I'm confused about how to get this. I'm getting 150 degrees.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should convert the current equation to cosine form using familira trigonometric identities.

Delta² said:
You should convert the current equation to cosine form using familira trigonometric identities.

Does it always have to be converted to cosine?

If I convert it to cosine, the phase angle changes from 150 to 240

Current and Voltage have to be both in sine or cosine (and with the same sign of amplitude) to be able to discuss about the phase angle.

You ve made a mistake in the conversion, it is sin(x)=cos (x-90)=-cos (x+90).

Delta² said:
Current and Voltage have to be both in sine or cosine (and with the same sign of amplitude) to be able to discuss about the phase angle.

You ve made a mistake in the conversion, it is sin(x)=cos (x-90)=-cos (x+90).

I have sin(x+150) in my above equation. I want to convert it to cosine
EDIT: I seem to have some confusion.

IN my book it says cos(x) = sin(x+90) (just as you said).

This means if I want to convert to cosine from sin,

cos(x+60) = sin(x+60+90)

You are correct now, so it will be cos (x+60)=sin(x+150), (x=377t), there you got a phase angle of 60, THOUGH when we talk about phase angle we usually mean the phase difference between voltage and current which is 90 in this case.

Likes x86

Related to Finding the phase angle of current through a capacitor?

1. What is the phase angle of current through a capacitor?

The phase angle of current through a capacitor is the measure of how much the current leads or lags behind the voltage in an AC circuit. It is represented by the Greek letter phi (φ) and is measured in degrees.

2. How do you calculate the phase angle of current through a capacitor?

The phase angle can be calculated by using the formula φ = arctan(1/ωRC), where ω is the angular frequency of the AC current, R is the resistance in the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. Why is it important to know the phase angle of current through a capacitor?

The phase angle is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the circuit and how the current and voltage are related. It also helps in calculating power factor, which is a measure of the efficiency of the circuit.

4. What factors can affect the phase angle of current through a capacitor?

The phase angle can be affected by the frequency of the AC current, the resistance and capacitance values in the circuit, and the type of capacitor used. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

5. How does the phase angle of current through a capacitor differ from that of an inductor?

The phase angle of current through a capacitor is negative, meaning that the current lags behind the voltage, while the phase angle of current through an inductor is positive, indicating that the current leads the voltage. This is due to the difference in the way capacitors and inductors store and release energy in an AC circuit.