Finding the position of an image charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Method of images for a specific configuration. The speaker is unsure of where to place the imaginary charge in order to satisfy the boundary condition of zero potential on the surface of the conductor. The other person questions the need for an image charge and suggests alternative methods, but the speaker is not familiar with how to solve the problem.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Finding the position of an image charge
Relevant Equations
No equation required
I am trying to use the Method of images for this configuration, But somehow I don't know where should I put the imaginary charge. I know the on the surface of the conductor the potential must be zero and the imaginary charge should be other side of the conductor but that's all I cay..

Attachments

• Adsız.png
    Adsız.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 173
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you need to find image charge for the problem? I mean there may not exist such configuration of image charge(it may,but I don't know). If you want the plates to be at 0 potential,you put -Q charge at some distance but this doesn't yield boundary condition on circle. You put another charge to make it 0 but this screws up potential at plates and ad infinitum subject to total constraint that sum of charges is -Q and I don't think that this will be converging!

I see. I don't have much about how to solve this problem...

Related to Finding the position of an image charge

What is an image charge and why do we need to find its position?

An image charge is a hypothetical charge that is used to model the behavior of a real charge in a specific situation. We need to find its position because it can help us understand the behavior of the real charge and make predictions about its interactions with other charges.

How do we determine the position of an image charge?

The position of an image charge can be determined using the method of images, which involves using symmetry and boundary conditions to calculate the position of the charge.

What are some applications of finding the position of an image charge?

The position of an image charge can be used to calculate the electric potential and electric field at certain points in a system, which can be useful in studying the behavior of systems such as capacitors and conducting surfaces.

Can the position of an image charge change?

Yes, the position of an image charge can change if the position or charge of the real charge changes, or if the geometry of the system changes.

Are there any limitations to using the method of images to find the position of an image charge?

Yes, the method of images only works for certain simple geometries and boundary conditions. In more complex situations, other methods such as numerical simulations may be needed to determine the position of an image charge.