Finding the potential for a charged disk on a test charge

In summary, this is my problem and it has a twist: when I try to find the electric field of a uniform disk of charge (assuming it's lying on the x, y plane) on a test charge located at the center of the disk on the z-axis, I get an error message saying that the field is not existent because the charge has been displaced to the left. However, if I instead displaced the charge a small displacement to the right, the field suddenly becomes existent. Can you explain why this is?
Jimykid86
this is my problem and it has a twist:

find the electric field of a uniform disk of charge (assuming it's lying on the x, y plane) on a test charge located at the center of the disk on the z-axis but wait... here is the twist: displace the test charge a small displacement to the left. :eek:

Well, it's almost like your regular symmetric disk of charged, but this one is not symmetric.

I have no clue where to start. My teacher gives this as a critical and challenging problem for extra credit.

Please, give me some help to get me started.

Jimbo

Physics news on Phys.org
It is is in principle exactly solvable. I would at least write down the integral expression. Then, since you know the displacement is very small, you can make an approximation to first order in the displacement to simplify the integral.

EDIT: Better yet. Use that dV=(dV/dr)dr

Last edited:
principle of exactly solvable?

can you explain me what this is or where I can find information on it? The internet doesn't help so far...

Jimbo

Start by writing down the expression (integral) for the potential in cylindrical coordinates. (This integral is solvable exactly)

I was proposing a first order expansion in the displacement, but I noticed that's actually messier than the exact way.

Last edited:
My work so far...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/jimykid86/extracredit.jpg

how do i find c?

Jimbo

Last edited by a moderator:
My work so far 2...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/jimykid86/extracredit2001.jpg

what do I do now?

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
You got the expression for the distance (almost) right, I`ll name it [itex]\rho[/itex]:

[tex]\rho=\sqrt{(r\cos \phi-a)^2+r^2\sin^2 \phi+z^2}=\sqrt{r^2-2ra\cos \phi+z^2+a^2}[/tex]

[tex]=\sqrt{(r-a\cos \phi)^2+a^2\sin^2\phi+z^2}[/tex]
So the integral becomes:

[tex]V=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^R\frac{\sigma rdrd\phi}{\sqrt{(r-a\cos \phi)^2+a^2\sin^2\phi+z^2}}[/tex]

You can integrate this wrt r, but not wrt phi. Maybe a power series expansion will work.

It's quite messy no matter how you look at it, but I guess you got to do something for bonus points right? :biggrin:

Last edited:
thank you Galileo

haha... yeah... it will be a mess, but I'll try hard. thank you for your help

Jimbo

Related to Finding the potential for a charged disk on a test charge

1. What is the equation for the potential of a charged disk on a test charge?

The equation for the potential of a charged disk on a test charge is V = k x (Q / r), where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the disk, and r is the distance between the disk and the test charge.

2. How is the potential of a charged disk on a test charge affected by the distance between the disk and the test charge?

The potential is inversely proportional to the distance between the disk and the test charge. This means that as the distance increases, the potential decreases.

3. Can the potential of a charged disk on a test charge be negative?

Yes, the potential can be negative if the test charge is negative or if the disk and test charge have opposite charges. In this case, the test charge would experience an attractive force towards the disk.

4. What happens to the potential of a charged disk on a test charge if the charge on the disk is doubled?

If the charge on the disk is doubled, the potential will also double. This is because the potential is directly proportional to the charge of the disk.

5. How does the potential of a charged disk on a test charge compare to that of a point charge?

The potential of a charged disk on a test charge is similar to that of a point charge when the distance between the disk and test charge is small compared to the size of the disk. However, as the distance increases, the potential of a charged disk on a test charge becomes less than that of a point charge due to the distribution of charge on the disk.