Finding the Specific Heat Capacity of a Potato

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment to find the specific heat capacity of a potato. The experiment involved heating the potato in an oven for a certain amount of time and then using the equation c = Q/m∆T to calculate the specific heat capacity. However, the resulting number seemed too high and the participants discussed the possible reasons for this, including the fact that not all the energy from the oven goes into the potato. Suggestions were made to improve the experiment, such as using a vacuum flask instead of a jug of water.
Kendra

Homework Statement

So I've been trying to find the specific heat capacity of the potato for a while and keep coming up with an outrageous number (over 700,000 J/kgC)

Here's what I've found

mass of potato = 0.15kg
initial T of potato = 18 degrees C
final T of potato = 83 degrees C (is this not hot enough?)
therefore change in T is 65 degrees C

The power rating of my oven is 2000W, and I cooked it for 3600 seconds.

Homework Equations

I found the Q value by multiplying the oven's power by the time in seconds, so Q=7,200,000J

I then used the equation c = Q/m∆T for the specific heat capacity

The Attempt at a Solution

c = 7200000/(0.15)(65) = 738462 J/(kg degrees C)

We haven't done anything in my IB class about this subject, but I'm pretty sure that this number is way too big, and I can't figure out what to do, so I'm obviously missing something… Any suggestions? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're assuming all the energy went into heating the potato and stayed there.
Start from the other end. Suppose the potato consists of water, which it mostly is. How long should you have to run the microwave for to get it to 100C? What will happen if you run it for longer?

Hi Kendra. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

This is your own experiment? It might be better to start with a thoroughly heated potato and drop it into a jug of water and base your calculations on ΔT of that mass of water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full marks for doing your own experiment but as haruspex pointed out not all the energy ends up in the potato. Ovens aren't very well insulated. Even quite good ones end up heating the whole kitchen sometimes.

NascentOxygen suggests a way but I would cut the potato into small bits before heating otherwise when you put it into cold water it may take a long time to reach equilibrium and a lot of heat might escape while you wait. Perhaps use a thermos/vacuum flask instead of a jug of water?

It's not clear what kind of oven the OP used to perform this experiment.

If you cooked a potato for 1 hour(!) in a 2000 W microwave, is there anything left of the potato? Also, a microwave oven is not going to generate the same thermal radiation as a conventional oven will.

Ditto, if the potato was cooked for 1 hour in an electric oven, how much was left, besides potato chips?

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass. It is often measured in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

2. Why is it important to find the specific heat capacity of a potato?

Finding the specific heat capacity of a potato is important because it allows us to understand how much heat the potato can absorb and how long it will take to cook through. This information is useful for cooking and food processing industries.

3. How is the specific heat capacity of a potato measured?

The specific heat capacity of a potato can be measured by using a calorimeter. The potato is heated to a known temperature and then placed in a container of water. The change in temperature of the water is measured and used to calculate the specific heat capacity of the potato.

4. Does the specific heat capacity of a potato vary depending on its type?

Yes, the specific heat capacity of a potato can vary depending on its type. Factors such as water content, starch content, and size can affect the specific heat capacity of a potato. This is why it is important to conduct experiments to find the specific heat capacity of a specific type of potato.

5. Can the specific heat capacity of a potato change?

The specific heat capacity of a potato can change if the potato is cooked. Cooking causes chemical and physical changes in the potato, which can affect its specific heat capacity. This is why it is important to measure the specific heat capacity of a raw potato.