Finding the steady state expression of a circuit

In summary: Va was before?You've recognized that you will need to use superposition here because the two voltage sources have different frequencies. So call "case a" the situation where you've suppressed vb and only source va is active. Show how you solve for the resulting current through the inductor.When you have two voltage sources with different frequencies, you can use superposition to solve for the current through the inductor. In this case, you will be solving for the current through the inductor when only the voltage source va is active.First, determine the value of va:Va=10cos16000tThen, determine the value of Vo:Vo=12.
Bluestribute

Homework Statement

For the circuit in (Figure 1) , suppose
va=10cos16,000tV
vb=20cos4000tV.
Suppose that R = 700Ω .

Write the steady-state expression for io(t) as io=I′ocos(ω′t+ϕ′)+I′′ocos(ω′′t+ϕ′′), where −180∘<ϕ′≤180∘, −180∘<ϕ′′≤180∘, and ω′>ω′′. Find the numerical value of I′o.

Find the numerical value of ϕ′.

Find the numerical value of ω′.

Find the numerical value of I′′o.

Find the numerical value of ϕ′′.

Find the numerical value of ω′′.

Homework Equations

Um . . .

The Attempt at a Solution

You lost me at Io . . . Seriously, I don't know what it's even asking . . .

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,277
Physics news on Phys.org
For starters: what do you know about the steady state solution of a circuit?

Bluestribute said:
You lost me at Io . . . Seriously, I don't know what it's even asking . . .
Since Io is not defined in the problem statement or the circuit diagram there is no solution to the problem as given.

axmls said:
For starters: what do you know about the steady state solution of a circuit?
When you put it like that . . . sinusoidal? Capacitors are open and inductors shorts?

This is all that they give me. The first question asks what analysis technique should be used (aka superposition). Then it asks about the I equation . . .

gneill said:
Since Io is not defined in the problem statement or the circuit diagram there is no solution to the problem as given.

I'm assuming Io is the current caused by the voltage vo.

Bluestribute - capacitors acting as open circuits and inductors acting as short circuits is something that happens in DC circuits, but you have a sinusoidal input. Do you know anything about phasor analysis (i.e. Frequency domain analysis)?

axmls said:
I'm assuming Io is the current caused by the voltage vo.

Bluestribute - capacitors acting as open circuits and inductors acting as short circuits is something that happens in DC circuits, but you have a sinusoidal input. Do you know anything about phasor analysis (i.e. Frequency domain analysis)?
Yeah . . . I guess it just seems like a really broad question and I'm not understanding what you're looking for. Or what I'm supposed to do to find I'o

It gives you a circuit with two sources and a few elements. It gives you equations to describe the sources, and it wants you to use all of that information to find an equation that describes the current in (I assume) the middle branch of the circuit (after the transient solution has died out).

I think it's a case of using superposition to complete the expression for the current through the inductor.

So what is I'o? What are these prime terms? I know the Cdv/dt formulas. But . . . do I use that to solve for i(t) and then . . . do . . . something?

I' and I'' are an alternative notation to I1 and I2.

At least, that's how I think they are using it here. Nothing to do with derivatives.

And, despite my new April 1 avatar, the aforewritten lines are meant to be taken seriously. :smile:

So is I1 and I'o the . . . left mesh?

Two meshes. One carries I'o and the other I''o.

So derive Va and multiply by 625E-9 and derive Vb, then add those together?

I also tried doing V/Z (Z, for Va, being 700-100j). No luck.

Why don't you show details of your work for one of the cases?

You've recognized that you will need to use superposition here because the two voltage sources have different frequencies. So call "case a" the situation where you've suppressed vb and only source va is active. Show how you solve for the resulting current through the inductor.

Inductor is shorted.

1/(625nf*16000) = 100
Z = 700 - 100j (resistor + conductor)
Va = 10cos16000t

Divide Va by Z with a calculator

It's the inductor voltage which you are needing to find, so I can't see why you would want to short it.

I want to short it because I have no idea what I'm doing and after 17 posts, I still have no idea what I'm doing. It'd be great if someone could just show me some work instead of having me run circles around my own head, because I CLEARLY am not getting ANYWHERE with anything that's been said. I CLEARLY don't know what's going on, what's being asked, or how to solve it.

Last edited:
The circuit has two unrelated voltage sources, and you are required ultimately to find the current through the inductor. If it had only one voltage source then I think you would be able to solve that, correct?

So, take the sources one at a time, and "pretend" that the other source is zero volts. (That doesn't mean it's not present, it means it is present and is supplying a voltage of 0.00V.)

Determine the inductor current under each of those two conditions.

So:

(Va-Vo)/-j100 + -Vo/700 = Vo/j400
Vo = 12.8665+2.4508j

like that for Va? Is that even remotely correct? Then what do I do with it?

Bluestribute said:
So:

(Va-Vo)/-j100 + -Vo/700 = Vo/j400
Vo = 12.8665+2.4508j

like that for Va? Is that even remotely correct? Then what do I do with it?
That's good! Might as well determine the current it causes through the inductor at this point. Convert the result back to the time domain and set it aside for now while you do the same procedure for vb active.

The approach looks right. I can't do any math checks at the moment.

Once you know the inductor voltage, divide by the reactance to determine current. Then change to polar so you can calculate the phase angle as required in the general expression you are trying to find values for.

Z = 700 + 300j (because -100j + 400j)
V/Z = 0.0168-0.00370j

That seems incredibly small for the current . . .

Nevermind. Thanks. I was just playing stupid. No, reactance is that inductor value. Now I'm getting the right numbers . . .

Related to Finding the steady state expression of a circuit

What is a steady state expression?

A steady state expression in a circuit refers to the state in which all voltages and currents have reached a constant and unchanging value. This occurs after the circuit has been in operation for a long period of time, and all transient effects have dissipated.

Why is finding the steady state expression important?

Finding the steady state expression is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a circuit over time and determine the values of voltages and currents at any point. This is crucial for designing and troubleshooting circuits.

How can I calculate the steady state expression of a circuit?

The steady state expression can be calculated by using Kirchhoff's circuit laws and applying them to the circuit in question. By writing and solving a system of equations, the steady state values of voltages and currents can be determined.

What factors can affect the steady state expression of a circuit?

The steady state expression of a circuit can be affected by various factors such as the type and values of the circuit components, the input signal, and the initial conditions of the circuit. Nonlinear components and external noise can also impact the steady state behavior.

Can the steady state expression change over time?

No, once a circuit reaches its steady state, the values of voltages and currents will remain constant unless there is a change in the circuit components or the input signal. In a stable circuit, the steady state expression will not change over time.