Finding the thermal energy and Q for an isobaric process.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the amount of work done on a gas at a constant temperature is being calculated. The question also asks for the change in internal thermal energy and the Q value for the process. The conversation outlines attempts at solving the problem, including using equations for work, change in internal energy, and number of moles, but notes that without knowing the temperature or number of moles, the problem cannot be solved.
Brittbrit22

Homework Statement

How much work is done on the gas in the process shown in figure P12.24. This is from College Physics: A strategic approach, 2nd addition, by Knight, et al. Ch.12, #24

The graph shown is kPa vs V(cm^3). It's a constant temperature process (isobaric) at 200 kpa. I was able to answer the question posed in the textbook. My answer was .0004 J for the amount of work. I am not sure if the work should be negative or not. Also, I do not have access to the correct answer so I do not know if this value is correct either.

My professor also asked up to calculate the ΔEth or change in internal thermal energy and the Q value for this process. I do understand how these can be calculated if I was given no information about the initial or final temperatures or the number of moles. I can't calculate the number of moles without a temperature and I can't calculate Q without the number of moles. The problem states "a gas" but if I knew what gas I could just use the molar mass to find moles but they don't specify what gas it is.

Homework Equations

1. Wgas=pΔV

2. ΔEth=Q - Wgas

3. n=pv/rt

4. Q=nCpΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use equation 2 and I would just solve for Q. But, I can't figure out Q if I can't calculate the delta Eth first. I can't calculate the Eth because I do no know the number of moles. Then I tried to use equation 3 to find the number of moles (n) but I do not know what t(t for temperature in kelvin) is.So n=0.2pa*0.0001m^3/ (8.31J/mol.k * t) but I don't know t, and I don't see how I can find it without moles.

Then Q=n*20.8*t (I do not know the values for n(moles) or t(temperature).

Or if I were to solve for Q in equation 2 : 3/2*8.31 J/mol.k*t=Q-(-0.0004J) >>> But again, I do not know t(the temperature in kelvin) nor I understand how I am supposed to find that value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The OP, in his problem statement, says that the temperature is constant. This means that, for a (presumed) ideal gas, the change in internal energy is zero. Therefore, the heat is equal to the work.

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that a substance possesses due to the motion of its particles. It is a form of kinetic energy and is directly related to the temperature of the substance.

2. How is thermal energy measured?

Thermal energy is typically measured in units of joules (J) or calories (cal). These units can be converted into other units of energy, such as kilojoules (kJ) or kilocalories (kcal).

3. What is an isobaric process?

An isobaric process is a thermodynamic process that occurs at a constant pressure. This means that the pressure of the system remains constant throughout the process, while other variables such as volume and temperature may change.

4. How do you calculate the thermal energy for an isobaric process?

To calculate the thermal energy for an isobaric process, you can use the equation Q = mCΔT, where Q is the thermal energy, m is the mass of the substance, C is its specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. What is the relationship between thermal energy and work in an isobaric process?

In an isobaric process, the work done on or by the system is equal to the change in thermal energy. This is because the pressure remains constant, so the only way for the system to change its energy is through a change in thermal energy.