Finding the Thevenin equivalent by zeroing

In summary, I was trying to find the Thevenin equivalent for the circuit above, but I wasn't sure how to connect the resistors correctly. I replaced the 10-V source with a short and got the same result as my simulated value.
Jelsborg
Homework Statement
Determine Thevenin equivalent for the given circuit
Relevant Equations
Basic zeroing and shorting
Skærmbillede 2019-10-01 kl. 06.11.24.png

I am asked to find the Thevenin equivalent for the circuit above. I already got the equivalent voltage by node analysis on the nodes B and A3.

What I'm trying to do is to zero the 10V-source and then calculate the equivalent resistance between A3 and GND.

Whatever expression I come up with, doesn't seem to fit my simulation value, and I guess it's because I'm missing some key point, and the problem seems to be the ##R_{22}-R_{19}-R_{21}## combination, which I am not sure how relates to the other resistances.
To me, R23 is in parallel with R22+R24, but it is not clear to me how this relates to R21 and R19.
Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
When you replace the 10-V source with a short, note that R21 and R24 are now in parallel.

vela said:
When you replace the 10-V source with a short, note that R21 and R24 are now in parallel.
Since the voltage and thus the current over ##R_{20}## is then 0, right?
Moreover, is this reasoning correct:

R21 and R24 are in parallel with the series of R19 and R22, which is then in turn in parallel with R23?

Jelsborg said:
Since the voltage and thus the current over ##R_{20}## is then 0, right?
Right. You can remove R20 because it's shorted out.

Moreover, is this reasoning correct:

R21 and R24 are in parallel with the series of R19 and R22, which is then in turn in parallel with R23?
Not quite. R19 and R22 aren't in series. Resistors are only in series if the current through one has to go through the other.

vela said:
Right. You can remove R20 because it's shorted out.Not quite. R19 and R22 aren't in series. Resistors are only in series if the current through one has to go through the other.
Then I don't really get how to evaluate the R22-R19 connection. They both meet at the A3 node, which also meets R23, while the other end of R23 meets the node connecting R24 and R21. So I'm trying to convert the whole R24-R21-R19-R22 into one resistor which I can then consider as parallel to R23 - or maybe this is the wrong strategy?

Redrawing the circuit is often helpful. The one on the left is with R20 removed and the source shorted out. The circuit on the right is the same circuit, but it's easier to see how to deal with it.

Untitled 3.png

Likes Delta2
vela said:
Redrawing the circuit is often helpful. The one on the left is with R20 removed and the source shorted out. The circuit on the right is the same circuit, but it's easier to see how to deal with it.

View attachment 250472
Clever redrawing - I'm getting the same as my simulated value out of this circuit.
Thank you very much!

1. How do you determine the Thevenin equivalent by zeroing?

The Thevenin equivalent can be determined by shorting out the load resistor and finding the open circuit voltage, which is the Thevenin voltage. The Thevenin resistance can then be calculated by dividing the Thevenin voltage by the current flowing through the shorted load resistor.

2. What is the purpose of finding the Thevenin equivalent by zeroing?

The Thevenin equivalent simplifies a complex circuit into a simpler one, making it easier to analyze and design. It allows us to replace a portion of a circuit with a single voltage source and resistor, without changing the behavior of the original circuit.

3. Can the Thevenin equivalent be found for any circuit?

Yes, the Thevenin equivalent can be found for any linear circuit with independent sources and resistors. It is a fundamental concept in circuit analysis and is applicable to both DC and AC circuits.

4. What are some practical applications of the Thevenin equivalent?

The Thevenin equivalent is commonly used in circuit design, especially in the design of electronic devices. It is also useful in troubleshooting and testing circuits, as well as in the analysis of complex networks.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the Thevenin equivalent by zeroing?

One limitation is that the Thevenin equivalent can only be found for linear circuits. Additionally, it may not accurately represent the behavior of the circuit at high frequencies or with nonlinear elements. It is important to consider these factors when using the Thevenin equivalent in practical applications.