Finding Thevenin Equivalent with Dependent Source

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Thevenin Equivalent of a circuit using KCL and node voltage. The speaker has found the open circuit voltage but is now trying to find the closed circuit current. They are stuck at this step because shorting AB results in 0 potential difference and 0 = 0 for any KCL or KVL equations. They are unsure of how to proceed.
Matt O

Homework Statement

d0298ce523.png

I am trying to find the Thevenin Equivalent of this circuit

Homework Equations

Using KCL and node voltage

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the open circuit voltage for the thevenin voltage so far by the mesh current method, and now I am trying to find the closed circuit current. When I connect the short from A to B, that shorts out the resistor so there are two loops left. Now I'm confused at this step. There are only two nodes in the circuit left, and anywhere I try to write KCL or KVL equations I just get 0 = 0. How do I proceed forward?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have shorted AB then what is the potential across AB? How about the potential across the 50 k resistor?

What is a dependent source?

A dependent source is a type of electrical component that is controlled by an external parameter, such as voltage or current. It can be a voltage-controlled dependent source, where the output voltage is dependent on an input voltage, or a current-controlled dependent source, where the output current is dependent on an input current.

What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is a fundamental principle in electrical circuit analysis that allows a complex circuit to be simplified into a single voltage source and a single resistor. This simplified circuit is known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit and can be used to analyze the behavior of the original circuit.

How is Thevenin equivalent circuit useful in circuit analysis?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit is useful because it reduces a complex circuit into a simpler form, making it easier to analyze and understand. It also allows us to determine the behavior of a circuit without having to know all the details of the internal components, making it a valuable tool for engineers and scientists.

What is the process for finding Thevenin equivalent with a dependent source?

The process for finding Thevenin equivalent with a dependent source involves the following steps:

1. Disconnect the dependent source from the circuit.
  2. Determine the open-circuit voltage (Voc) at the terminals where the dependent source was connected.
  3. Determine the equivalent resistance (Req) at the same terminals.
  4. Reconnect the dependent source and determine its contribution to the equivalent voltage (Veq) and equivalent resistance (Req) at the terminals.
  5. The Thevenin equivalent circuit is then Veq and Req in series.

What are some practical applications of Thevenin equivalent with a dependent source?

Thevenin equivalent with a dependent source is commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits. It can be used to simplify complex circuits and determine their behavior, making it a valuable tool for engineers and scientists. It is also used in the design of power systems, where it can help in optimizing power distribution and minimizing losses.