Finding the volume of the cone using cylindrical polar coordinates?

In summary, the cone surface is defined by the equation ρ+z=1 and the limits for ρ and z are 0 to (1-z) and 0 to 1, respectively. This is because the defining equation for the cone relates ρ and z, and using 0 to 1 for both would define a cylinder instead.
sarubobo28
The cone centre is the z-axis and has base ρ=1 and height z=1,
I'm looking at the lecture notes and it says the limit φ=0 to 2pi, z=0 to 1,
ρ=0 to (1-z).
Could someone tell me where the (1-z) comes from please?
Why is it not 0 to 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
On the cone surface, ρ and z are related through ρ+z=1. This is the defining equation for that surface. 0 to 1 would define a cylinder, which is equally wide in top and bottom.

clamtrox said:
On the cone surface, ρ and z are related through ρ+z=1. This is the defining equation for that surface. 0 to 1 would define a cylinder, which is equally wide in top and bottom.

I see, thank you I get it now :)

Related to Finding the volume of the cone using cylindrical polar coordinates?

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cone using cylindrical polar coordinates?

The formula for finding the volume of a cone using cylindrical polar coordinates is V = (1/3)πr^2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone.

2. How do you convert cylindrical polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert cylindrical polar coordinates (r, θ, z) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following equations:
x = rcosθ
y = rsinθ
z = z

3. Can you find the volume of a cone using only polar coordinates?

Yes, the volume of a cone can be found using only polar coordinates. The formula for finding the volume using polar coordinates is V = (1/3)πr^2h, where r is the distance from the origin to the point on the base and h is the height of the cone.

4. How do you find the height of a cone using polar coordinates?

The height of a cone can be found using the formula h = z/r, where z is the vertical distance from the base to the apex of the cone and r is the distance from the origin to the point on the base.

5. Can you use cylindrical polar coordinates to find the volume of a cone with a slanted base?

Yes, cylindrical polar coordinates can be used to find the volume of a cone with a slanted base. The formula for finding the volume would be V = (1/3)πr^2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone measured along the slant.