How to find volume of cone+hemisphere on the cone using spherical coordinate

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the volume of a hemisphere and a cone with a given radius and unknown height. The volume of the cone is calculated using basic geometry principles, while the volume of the hemisphere is calculated using the formula for a spherical cap. Combining the volumes of the two shapes gives the total volume of the solid. There is also a mention of a surface equation, but it is not clear how it relates to finding the volume.
Another1
View attachment 7767

i have a problem about find volume of hemisphere I do not know the true extent of radius r (0 to ?)

i think...
cone ( 0 < r < R cosec(\theta) )
hemisphere (0 < r < R)

Attachments

• ssssss.png
    ssssss.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 94
Physics news on Phys.org
Another said:
i have a problem about find volume of hemisphere I do not know the true extent of radius r (0 to ?)

i think...
hemisphere (0 < r < R)

Hi Another, welcome to MHB! (Wave)

Let's start with the cone.
\begin{tikzpicture}
\def\R{4}
\def\h{\R * cot(30)}
\def\Theta{20}
\coordinate (A) at (0,0);
\coordinate (B) at (0,{\h});
\coordinate (C) at ({\R},{\h});
\coordinate (D) at ({\h*tan(\Theta)},{\h});
\draw (A) -- node[above left] {$h$} (B) -- node[above] {R} (C) -- cycle;
\draw[blue, thick] (A) -- node[above left] {$r_{max}$} (D);
\path (A) node at ({90-\Theta/2}:1.3) {$\theta$};
\draw[thick] (A) +(0,1) arc (90:{90-\Theta}:1);
\end{tikzpicture}

We have $\tan 30^\circ = \frac Rh$ and $\cos\theta = \frac h{r_{max}}$ don't we?
Doesn't that mean:
$$0 < r < r_{max} = R\cot 30^\circ \sec\theta$$As for the hemisphere, suppose we translate it to the origin first before calculating its volume.
Then we just have $0 < r < R$ don't we? (Wondering)

Another said:

i think...
hemisphere (0 < r < R)

No calculus needed...

If the radius of the cone and hemisphere is R units, then we can see the height of the cone we can evaluate by

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \tan{ \left( \theta \right) } &= \frac{O}{A} \\ \tan{ \left( 30^{\circ} \right) } &= \frac{R}{h} \\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} &= \frac{R}{h} \\ \frac{h}{\sqrt{3}} &= R \\ h &= \sqrt{3}\,R \end{align*}$

Volume of the cone:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \frac{1}{3}\,\pi\,r^2\,h \\ &= \frac{\pi\,R^2 \left( \sqrt{3}\,R \right) }{3} \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}\,\pi\,R^3}{3} \end{align*}$

Volume of the hemisphere:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \frac{2}{3}\,\pi\,r^3 \\ &= \frac{2\,\pi\,R^3}{3} \end{align*}$

Thus the total volume is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \frac{\sqrt{3}\,\pi\,R^3}{3} + \frac{2\,\pi\,R^3}{3} \\ &= \frac{\left( 2 + \sqrt{3} \right) \pi \, R^3}{3}\,\textrm{ units}^3 \end{align*}$

Prove It said:
No calculus needed...

If the radius of the cone and hemisphere is R units, then we can see the height of the cone we can evaluate by

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \tan{ \left( \theta \right) } &= \frac{O}{A} \\ \tan{ \left( 30^{\circ} \right) } &= \frac{R}{h} \\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} &= \frac{R}{h} \\ \frac{h}{\sqrt{3}} &= R \\ h &= \sqrt{3}\,R \end{align*}$

Volume of the cone:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \frac{1}{3}\,\pi\,r^2\,h \\ &= \frac{\pi\,R^2 \left( \sqrt{3}\,R \right) }{3} \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}\,\pi\,R^3}{3} \end{align*}$

Volume of the hemisphere:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \frac{2}{3}\,\pi\,r^3 \\ &= \frac{2\,\pi\,R^3}{3} \end{align*}$

Thus the total volume is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \frac{\sqrt{3}\,\pi\,R^3}{3} + \frac{2\,\pi\,R^3}{3} \\ &= \frac{\left( 2 + \sqrt{3} \right) \pi \, R^3}{3}\,\textrm{ units}^3 \end{align*}$
thank

But for this problem, if the surface equation is determined with [cos(theta)]^2 ? How can we find the volume of hemisphere + cone ?.

thankkkkkk

Another said:
thank

But for this problem, if the surface equation is determined with [cos(theta)]^2 ? How can we find the volume of hemisphere + cone ?.

thankkkkkk

I have no idea what you mean by the surface equation, and the surface itself (an area) has absolutely nothing to do with the space inside it (the volume)...

Related to How to find volume of cone+hemisphere on the cone using spherical coordinate

1. How do you find the volume of a cone using spherical coordinates?

The formula for finding the volume of a cone using spherical coordinates is V = (1/3)πr^2h, where r is the radius of the base of the cone and h is the height of the cone. This formula is derived from the volume of a cone equation, V = (1/3)πr^2h, and converting the Cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) to spherical coordinates (ρ,φ,θ).

2. Can you explain the concept of spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They consist of three parameters: ρ, φ, and θ. ρ represents the distance from the origin to the point, φ represents the angle between the z-axis and the line connecting the point to the origin, and θ represents the angle between the x-axis and the projection of the line onto the xy-plane.

3. What is the difference between a cone and a hemisphere?

A cone is a three-dimensional geometric shape with a circular base and a curved side that tapers to a point, while a hemisphere is a half of a sphere. Both shapes have a curved surface, but a cone has a point at the top while a hemisphere has a flat surface.

4. How do you find the volume of a hemisphere using spherical coordinates?

The formula for finding the volume of a hemisphere using spherical coordinates is V = (2/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the hemisphere. This formula is derived from the volume of a sphere equation, V = (4/3)πr^3, and converting the Cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) to spherical coordinates (ρ,φ,θ).

5. Can you find the volume of a cone and a hemisphere on the same cone?

Yes, the volume of a cone and a hemisphere on the same cone can be found separately and then added together to get the total volume. The formula for finding the volume of a cone on top of a hemisphere is V = (1/3)πr^2h + (2/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the base of the cone and h is the height of the cone. This formula is derived by adding the formulas for the volumes of a cone and a hemisphere together.