Finding the wavelength on a sinusoidal wave on a string

In summary: So, v=0.09m/0.04s=2.25m/s.In summary, the problem involves a sinusoidal wave propagating along a stretched string. The amplitude of the wave is 4mm or 0.004m, and the period is 0.04s. The two points x=0 and x=0.09 are within one wavelength of each other, and the wave is moving in the +x-direction. Using the formula v=λf=λ/T, the wavelength is determined to be 0.09m and the wave speed is 2.25m/s.
Andrew Jacobson

Homework Statement

Hi, this is a problem regarding mathematical descriptions of waves. I've attached an imagine of the picture but I'll also type out the problem for clarity.
"A sinusoidal wave is propagating along a stretched string that lies on the x-axis. The distplacement of the string as a function of time is graphed in Fig.E11 for particles x=0m and at x=0.09m. (a) What is the amplitude of the wave? (b) What is the period of the wave? (c) You are told that the two points x=0 and x=0.09 are within one wavelength of each other. If the wave is moving in the +x-direction, determine the wavelength and wave speed."

Homework Equations

[itex]k=2\pi/\lambda[/itex]
[itex]y(x,t)=Acos(kx+\omega t)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) from reading off the graph you can see at the amplitude is 4mm or 0.004m

(b) from reading off the graph you can see that the period = 0.04s

(c) this is where I got confused. I thought about making simultaneous equations using x=0 and x=0.09. I figure that the answer involves using the fact that [itex]k=2\pi/\lambda[/itex] but I'm a little unsure.
I started playing with the idea that when y=0 and t=0 [itex]0.004cos(kx)=0[/itex] and therefore [itex]cos(kx)=0[/itex] and [itex]kx=n\pi/2[/itex] however that's not particularly helpful since I don't know the value of x. If anyone could give me a hint or put me on the right track it'd be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20150331_130354[1].jpg
    20150331_130354[1].jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
Andrew Jacobson said:

Homework Statement

Hi, this is a problem regarding mathematical descriptions of waves. I've attached an imagine of the picture but I'll also type out the problem for clarity.
"A sinusoidal wave is propagating along a stretched string that lies on the x-axis. The distplacement of the string as a function of time is graphed in Fig.E11 for particles x=0m and at x=0.09m. (a) What is the amplitude of the wave? (b) What is the period of the wave? (c) You are told that the two points x=0 and x=0.09 are within one wavelength of each other. If the wave is moving in the +x-direction, determine the wavelength and wave speed."
Wouldn't this mean the wavelength is 0.09m?
How are frequency, wavelength and speed related?
Andrew Jacobson said:
(a) from reading off the graph you can see at the amplitude is 4mm or 0.004m
Correct
Andrew Jacobson said:
(b) from reading off the graph you can see that the period = 0.04s
Correct

lep11 said:
Wouldn't this mean the wavelength is 0.09m?
How are frequency, wavelength and speed related?Correct
Correct
Well it just says that they're within one wavelength, so the wavelength could be bigger than 0.09m? I know that [itex]v=\lambda f[/itex] but this doesn't help since I only know the frequency.

Andrew Jacobson said:
Well it just says that they're within one wavelength, so the wavelength could be bigger than 0.09m? I know that [itex]v=\lambda f[/itex] but this doesn't help since I only know the frequency.
Oh, my bad, I thought the points are one wavelength away from each other. Anyway, v=λf=λ/T still holds.

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of wavelength on a sinusoidal wave on a string?

The wavelength on a sinusoidal wave on a string refers to the distance between two consecutive points on the wave that have the same phase, such as two consecutive peaks or two consecutive troughs.

2. How is wavelength related to frequency and speed?

Wavelength is inversely related to frequency and directly related to speed. This means that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases and speed increases, and vice versa.

3. How can I find the wavelength on a sinusoidal wave on a string?

To find the wavelength, you can measure the distance between two consecutive points on the wave with the same phase, such as two peaks or two troughs. Alternatively, you can also use the formula λ = v/f, where λ is the wavelength, v is the speed of the wave, and f is the frequency.

4. What is the unit of measurement for wavelength?

The unit of measurement for wavelength is meters (m) or any other unit of length, depending on the measurement system used.

5. Can the wavelength of a sinusoidal wave on a string change?

Yes, the wavelength of a sinusoidal wave on a string can change if the frequency or speed of the wave changes. However, the speed of the wave is constant for a given medium, so the wavelength usually changes with the frequency.