Finding amplitude and wave speed in a sinusoidal wave.

In summary, a sinusoidal wave with an amplitude of 4mm and a period of 0.04s is propagating along a stretched string on the x-axis. The displacement of the string at points x=0m and x=0.0900m is shown in the graph. If the wave is moving in the +x-direction, the wavelength is 0.14m and the wave speed is 3.5m/s. If the wave is moving in the -x-direction, the wavelength is 0.24m and the wave speed is 6.0m/s. It is not possible to determine the wavelength definitively in parts (c) and (d) without knowing that the two points are within
Taniaz

Homework Statement

A sinusoidal wave is propagating along a stretched string that lies along the x-axis. The displacement of the string as a function of time is graphed in the figure (attachment) for particles at x=0m and x=0.0900m.
(A) What is the amplitude of the wave?
4mm
(B) What is the period of the wave?
0.04s
(C) You are told that the two points x=0 an x=0.09m are within one wavelength of each other. If the wave is moving in the +x-direction, determine the wavelength and wave speed.
ANSWER KEY: 0.14m and 3.5m/s

I am confused about this part:

(D) If the wave is moving in the -x-direction, determine the wavelength and wave speed.
ANSWER KEY: 0.24m and 6.0m/s

(e) Would it be possible to determine definitively the wavelength in parts (c) and (d) if you were not told that the two points were within one wavelength of each other? Why or why not?
NO

Homework Equations

y(x,t)=Acos(kx +/- ωt)
v=λf

The Attempt at a Solution

Apparently, for part d, they did 0.09 m / 0.015 s to get the velocity and I'm not sure how they got 0.015s for the time when it's moving in the negative x-direction. You get this time if the peak of x=0 shifts to t=0.05 s because it's traveling in the opposite direction so the peak of x=0 comes before x = 0.09, and then you do 0.05-0.035 to get this? Is this right?

Attachments

• 5508afb2-b0b2-404b-aa14-09f9c8e37e4a.jpeg
    5508afb2-b0b2-404b-aa14-09f9c8e37e4a.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Taniaz said:
You get this time if the peak of x=0 shifts to t=0.05 s because it's traveling in the opposite direction so the peak of x=0 comes before x = 0.09, and then you do 0.05-0.035 to get this? Is this right?
is a bit confusing to me.

Back to part c: (for which I miss your solution ?) I prefer to express it as ##\ \ y_{0.09}(t+0.25) = y_0(t)## (*) so you have to wait 0.25 sec before the y at x=0 reaches x=0.09 for the case of a wave moving in the +x direction.

(*) of course 0.65 etc also satisfy, but we are given that ##\delta x < \lambda##With this approach it might also be easier to tackle part d)

For c, I basically took the time between the 2 peaks and that was 0.035-0.01=0.025
Then 0.09/0.025 = 3.6 m/s and then use v=λf for the wavelength.

For d, because it's traveling in the negative x-direction so the peak at x=0 would actually come before x=0.09

It seems that for c) you intuitively took the 'time between the two peaks' going in the correct direction, namely from 0.035 to 0.01. (I always have to force myself to think long and hard about which direction).

And then for d) it's " the other 'time between the two peaks' " .

In short: you did it right :smile:

Great! Thank you! :smile:

1. How do you measure the amplitude of a sinusoidal wave?

The amplitude of a sinusoidal wave is measured from the midpoint to the peak of the wave. This can be done by using a ruler or measuring device to determine the distance between the two points. The amplitude is typically represented by the letter "A" in equations.

2. What is the formula for finding the amplitude of a sinusoidal wave?

The formula for finding the amplitude of a sinusoidal wave is A = (ymax - ymin)/2, where ymax is the maximum height of the wave and ymin is the minimum height of the wave.

3. How do you calculate the wave speed of a sinusoidal wave?

The wave speed of a sinusoidal wave can be calculated using the formula v = λf, where v is the wave speed, λ (lambda) is the wavelength, and f is the frequency of the wave.

4. What is the relationship between amplitude and wave speed in a sinusoidal wave?

The amplitude and wave speed of a sinusoidal wave are not directly related. However, the amplitude does affect the energy of the wave and can impact the wave speed indirectly. A higher amplitude wave will typically have a higher energy and can travel faster than a lower amplitude wave.

5. Is it possible for a sinusoidal wave to have a negative amplitude?

Yes, it is possible for a sinusoidal wave to have a negative amplitude. This means that the wave is inverted or flipped upside down. In this case, the amplitude would be measured from the midpoint to the lowest point of the wave, rather than the highest point.