Finding theta for Coloumb's law suspension

In summary, the conversation discusses using a graphing calculator to solve a formula for finding theta in a scenario involving two suspended spheres repelling each other. The length of the rope is 3.0m, q = 1.0e-4 and m = .2 kg. Despite attempts to set up the formula using Newton's second law, the correct angle could not be obtained and further checks were advised.
Zoidberg3001

Homework Statement

Two spheres are suspended on strings and repel each other. Using the graphing function of your calculator setup and solve a formula to find theta.

The length of the rope is 3.0m, q = 1.0e4 and m = .2 kg.

Homework Equations

F=k*q1*q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Newton's second law I've tried several times to set up the formula to solve for theta but I am unable.

I know that the y component of tensions is equal to the force of gravity. Also that the X component of tension is equal to force caused by the repulsion of the two charges.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Equations look OK to me. Perhaps the instruction means they want you to solve numerically, not analytically ?

We were told to find the equation, set it equal to zero and plug in our given mass, charge and length then find the x intercept with a graphing calucator. I get 60 degrees which is about twice what it should be.

Can't find any givens under

Homework Statement

[/B]​
Perhaps you can use this thread to check if your calculator works properly

(Although I admit that for the numbers at the bottom of your sheet ##\pi/3## fits a lot better than ##\pi/6## :) )

Oops, that's what I get for being in a rush. The length of the rope is 3.0m, q = 1.0e4 and m = .2 kg.

Hefty charge !

Oh jeeze I just cannot type tonight. q = 1.0e-4

Well, as I said,
BvU said:
for the numbers at the bottom of your sheet ##\pi/3## fits a lot better than ##\pi/6## :)
So I'm at a loss. How do you know that it's not right ?

(can always try the check with this other thread to see if that fits...)

My professor said that the angle should be about 30 degrees. It's possible I misheard though. I can't find an error so I think that might be the case.

What is Coloumb's law suspension?

Coloumb's law suspension is a scientific concept that explains the force of attraction or repulsion between two electrically charged particles.

How is theta calculated for Coloumb's law suspension?

Theta, or the angle between two charged particles, can be calculated using the inverse tangent function of the ratio of the vertical and horizontal components of the forces acting on the particles.

What are the units for theta in Coloumb's law suspension?

Theta is typically measured in radians or degrees, depending on the preference of the scientist. However, for mathematical calculations, radians are the preferred unit.

Can theta be negative in Coloumb's law suspension?

Yes, theta can be negative in Coloumb's law suspension. This indicates a repulsive force between two particles, while a positive theta indicates an attractive force.

How does the value of theta affect the strength of the force in Coloumb's law suspension?

The value of theta does not directly affect the strength of the force in Coloumb's law suspension. The strength of the force is determined by the distance between the particles and their respective charges.