Finding Thevenin Equivalent Circuit

In summary: R_1. that's right.. but that's assuming that v = -g_mvR_1 is the same as v = v - g_mvi .. which is not the case. I'm sorry about that. the answer should come out to be R_1. R_1 and R_1 || (1/g_m) are not the same thing.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the open-circuit voltage and Thevenin equivalent resistance for a circuit. The individual is stuck on the problem and there is a discussion about finding the correct values for the open-circuit voltage and the equivalent resistance. The final answer is determined to be
opticaltempest
Hello,

I am working on the following problem:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2478/thevpo9.jpg

I am stuck on this seemingly simple circuit problem. I've worked many Thevenin circuit problems in my introductory circuit analysis. This problem is from a new class and seems different. I realize that I must first find the open-circuit voltage at the terminals. After that I need to the Thevenin equivalent resistance by using

[tex]\LARGE R_{Th}=V_{Th}/I_{sc}[/tex].

First let me find the open-circuit voltage [tex]v_{oc}[/tex]. Is this correct?

We know the circuit current is [tex]g_mv[/tex]. Thus the open circuit voltage which is the voltage across the voltage-controlled current source is

Using KVL:

[tex]\LARGE -v_s+v-v_{oc}=0 \implies v_{oc}=v-v_s[/tex]

and

[tex]\LARGE v=(g_mv)R_1[/tex].

So we have

[tex]
\LARGE v_{oc} = (g_mv)R_1-v_s \implies
\LARGE v_{oc} = (0.002v)(50k\Omega)-v_s \implies
\LARGE v_{oc} = 100v-v_s
[/tex]

Does this look correct for the open circuit voltage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
V_oc = voltage across controlled current source, and assuming +polarity on the arrow-head end, you then have V_oc = Vs - V = Vs - IR where I is given by -gm V (passive ref scheme)

Does this solution look correct? I see where I was wrong while finding the open-circuit voltage.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1340/image0001tv1.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4223/image0002xe6.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9513/image0003zi6.jpg

judging by the final diagram with + on top and - on bottom at output, your short circuit current may have been defined in the wrong direction, hence leading to an overall -ve sign error.

opticaltempest said:
Hello,

I am working on the following problem:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2478/thevpo9.jpg

I am stuck on this seemingly simple circuit problem. I've worked many Thevenin circuit problems in my introductory circuit analysis. This problem is from a new class and seems different. I realize that I must first find the open-circuit voltage at the terminals. After that I need to the Thevenin equivalent resistance by using

[tex]\LARGE R_{Th}=V_{Th}/I_{sc}[/tex].

First let me find the open-circuit voltage [tex]v_{oc}[/tex]. Is this correct?

We know the circuit current is [tex]g_mv[/tex]. Thus the open circuit voltage which is the voltage across the voltage-controlled current source is

Using KVL:

[tex]\LARGE -v_s+v-v_{oc}=0 \implies v_{oc}=v-v_s[/tex]

and

[tex]\LARGE v=(g_mv)R_1[/tex].

So we have

[tex]
\LARGE v_{oc} = (g_mv)R_1-v_s \implies
\LARGE v_{oc} = (0.002v)(50k\Omega)-v_s \implies
\LARGE v_{oc} = 100v-v_s
[/tex]

Does this look correct for the open circuit voltage?

The current [tex]g_mv[/tex] is entering the minus terminal of [tex]v[/tex], so you should have [tex]v = -g_mvR_1[/tex] or [tex]v\left[1+g_mR_1]=0[/tex] so, [tex]v = 0[/tex] and [tex]v_{oc}=v_s[/tex]

CEL said:
or [tex]v\left[1+g_mR_1]=0[/tex] so, [tex]v = 0[/tex] and [tex]v_{oc}=v_s[/tex]

How did you get this? Why isn't it

[tex]v_{oc}=v_s-v[/tex] ?

Thanks

opticaltempest said:
How did you get this? Why isn't it

[tex]v_{oc}=v_s-v[/tex] ?

Thanks

It is! But since [tex]v=0[/tex], [tex]v_{oc}=v_s-0=v_s[/tex].

your expression is pretty much correct, all you need is to look at the limit as v->0. basically R_th has to be infinite... such equivalent circuit does not exist in real life, only in the realm of an analysis tool.

I'm still confused. Why is [tex]v=0[/tex] and not left as [tex]v=-g_mvR_1[/tex]?

Why do we need to look at the limit of [tex]v[/tex] as [tex]v \rightarrow 0[/tex] ?

Correction: limit of [tex]R_{Th}[/tex] as [tex]v \rightarrow 0[/tex]

Last edited:
opticaltempest said:
I'm still confused. Why is [tex]v=0[/tex] and not left as [tex]v=-g_mvR_1[/tex]?

Why do we need to look at the limit of [tex]v[/tex] as [tex]v \rightarrow 0[/tex] ?

Correction: limit of [tex]R_{Th}[/tex] as [tex]v \rightarrow 0[/tex]

You have [tex]v[/tex] in both members of the equation [tex]v=-g_mvR_1[/tex]. So, unless [tex]g_mR_1=1[/tex], which it is not, you must have [tex]v=0[/tex].
Short circuiting the output you have [tex]i_{sc}=\frac{v_s}{R_1}+g_mv[/tex].
Since [tex]v=v_s[/tex], [tex]i_{sc}=\frac{v_s}{R_1}+g_mv_s=v_s\left[\frac{1}{R_1}+g_m\right][/tex]
So
[tex]R_{th}=\frac{v_{oc}}{i_{sc}}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{R_1}+g_m}=\frac{R_1}{1+g_mR_1}[/tex].

Thanks CEL and mjsd for all of the help on this problem. It now makes sense. I found out the answer is R=495 ohms and vth=vs. This is definitely the correct answer when I substitute the given values into the problem. Thanks again!

ok... i shouldn't have said R_th is infinite.. I evaluated the limit incorrectly.. since vs = v,

Related to Finding Thevenin Equivalent Circuit

1. What is Thevenin equivalent circuit?

Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex electrical circuit that consists of a single voltage source and a single resistor. It is used to simplify circuit analysis and is equivalent to the original circuit in terms of voltage and current at the load.

2. Why is Thevenin equivalent circuit important?

Thevenin equivalent circuit is important because it allows for easier analysis and design of complex circuits. It helps to determine the behavior of the circuit at different loads and simplifies the process of troubleshooting and fault finding. It also allows for the replacement of complex circuits with a simple and equivalent circuit, which saves time and resources.

3. How do you find Thevenin equivalent circuit?

Thevenin equivalent circuit can be found by first removing the load from the circuit and finding the open-circuit voltage (Voc) across the load terminals. Next, the equivalent resistance (Req) is calculated by shorting all sources and finding the total resistance. The Thevenin voltage (Vth) is then equal to the Voc, and the Thevenin resistance (Rth) is equal to the Req. The Thevenin equivalent circuit is then created by connecting a voltage source with value Vth in series with a resistor with value Rth.

4. What are the assumptions made in finding Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The assumptions made in finding Thevenin equivalent circuit are that the circuit is linear, time-invariant, and contains only independent sources. The circuit also needs to be in a steady-state condition. These assumptions allow for the use of the superposition theorem and the simplification of the circuit to a single voltage source and a single resistor.

5. How is Thevenin equivalent circuit used in practical applications?

Thevenin equivalent circuit is used in practical applications for circuit analysis, design, and troubleshooting. It is especially useful in electronic devices and systems, where complex circuits can be simplified and analyzed to determine their behavior and performance. It is also used in power systems for load flow analysis and to determine the stability and reliability of the system.