Finding this power series -- Where is my error?

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy between the use of ##\sim## and ##\sum_{k=0}^\infty## in a math homework platform. The speaker has tried using Desmos to test it and it was a perfect match, but the platform is still telling them it is wrong. They also mention using power series instead of differentiating ##f(x)## and their professor mentioning something about trivial functions with unique Taylor polynomials. The conversation ends with the speaker realizing that their first term is equal to zero and emailing their professor for clarification.
archaic
Homework Statement
Find the power series representation of $$\frac{x}{(1+13x^2)^2}$$
Relevant Equations
N/A
I have used ##\sim## but meant ##\sum_{k=0}^\infty##
20200416_230932.jpg

my math homework platform is telling me that this is wrong. I've tried using desmos to test it and it was a perfect match. Any ideas on where I went wrong?
ihb.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What type of input does the platform require? It is possible that it has written it on a different form and only accepts that form.

Orodruin said:
What type of input does the platform require? It is possible that it has written it on a different form and only accepts that form.
Capture.PNG

This is what they are giving me. If you put ##k=k'+1## in my result, then you'd get theirs, but then the sum should start from ##-1##. They have specifically asked me to have it start from ##0##, though, as is shown.
I've used power series instead of differentiating ##f(x)## because it is faster. The result should still be the same normally. I remember our professor saying something about trivial functions having unique taylor polynomials.

archaic said:
View attachment 260819
This is what they are giving me. If you put ##k=k'+1## in my result, then you'd get theirs, but then the sum should start from ##-1##. They have specifically asked me to have it start from ##0##, though, as is shown.
Your first term is equal to zero (it has a factor ##k = 0## in it). So even if you put ##k = k'+1## you can have your sum start at zero.

Likes archaic
I've emailed my professor, maybe he'll fix it. Thank you @Orodruin I've missed the ##k## factor ^^'.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞ an(x-c)n, where an are constants and c is a fixed point. It is a type of mathematical series used to represent functions as an infinite sum of terms.

2. How do I find the power series for a given function?

To find the power series for a function, you can use the Taylor series expansion. This involves finding the derivatives of the function at a specific point, c, and then plugging those values into the general form of a power series. The resulting series will be the power series for the given function.

3. What is the purpose of finding the power series for a function?

Finding the power series for a function allows us to approximate the value of the function at any point, even if it is not a known value. This is useful in many areas of science and mathematics, such as in solving differential equations or in numerical analysis.

4. How do I know if my power series is accurate?

The accuracy of a power series depends on the number of terms used in the series. The more terms that are included, the more accurate the approximation will be. You can also check the error term, which is the difference between the actual value of the function and the value given by the power series. As you add more terms, the error should decrease.

5. What are some common errors when finding a power series?

One common error when finding a power series is using the wrong point, c, for the series. This can result in a completely different series and inaccurate approximation. Another error is not including enough terms in the series, leading to a less accurate approximation. It is also important to check for convergence of the series, as some functions may have a limited range of convergence for their power series.