Finding transformation T such that T(D*)=D

In summary, to find the transformation T such that T(D*)=D, you can represent T by a 2x2 matrix and determine the four entries by looking at how the points of D* map onto D.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

If ##D^*## is the parallelogram whose vertices are ##(0,0)##,##(-1,3)##, ##(1,2)##, and ##(0,5)## and D is the parallelogram whose vertices are ##(0,0)##, ##(3,2)##,##(1,-1)## and ##(4,1)##, find a transformation ##T## such that ##T(D^*)=D##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From drawing both parallelograms, the point ##(0,0)## maps to ##(0,0)##, point ##(-1,3)## maps to ##(3,2)##, point ##(0,5)## maps to ##(4,1)## and point ##(1,2)## maps to ##(1,-1)##.

I really have no idea how to figure out the transformation. I don't see any pattern at all. Any hints?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
toforfiltum said:

Homework Statement

If ##D^*## is the parallelogram whose vertices are ##(0,0)##,##(-1,3)##, ##(1,2)##, and ##(0,5)## and D is the parallelogram whose vertices are ##(0,0)##, ##(3,2)##,##(1,-1)## and ##(4,1)##, find a transformation ##T## such that ##T(D^*)=D##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From drawing both parallelograms, the point ##(0,0)## maps to ##(0,0)##, point ##(-1,3)## maps to ##(3,2)##, point ##(0,5)## maps to ##(4,1)## and point ##(1,2)## maps to ##(1,-1)##.

I really have no idea how to figure out the transformation. I don't see any pattern at all. Any hints?

Thanks!

Represent ##T## by a ##2 \times 2## matrix, and figure out what must be the four entries of the matrix.

Ray Vickson said:
Represent ##T## by a ##2 \times 2## matrix, and figure out what must be the four entries of the matrix.
Ah, thanks. I've got it!

Related to Finding transformation T such that T(D*)=D

What is the meaning of "Finding transformation T such that T(D*)=D"?

"Finding transformation T such that T(D*)=D" refers to the process of identifying a mathematical function or procedure that can transform a given set of data (D*) into a desired output (D). This is often used in data analysis and machine learning to manipulate data in a meaningful way.

Why is it important to find a transformation that satisfies T(D*)=D?

It is important to find a suitable transformation because it allows us to manipulate and analyze data in a way that is meaningful and useful for our purposes. This can lead to better understanding and insights from the data, and can also help in making predictions and decisions based on the data.

What are some common methods for finding a transformation T?

Some common methods for finding a transformation T include linear regression, principal component analysis, and various machine learning algorithms such as decision trees, neural networks, and support vector machines. The specific method used will depend on the type of data and the desired outcome.

Can a transformation T always be found for a given set of data D* and desired output D?

It is not always possible to find a transformation T that satisfies T(D*)=D. This can be due to the complexity or nature of the data, or the limitations of the chosen method. In some cases, it may be necessary to adjust the data or use a different approach to find a suitable transformation.

How can I validate the effectiveness of a transformation T?

There are various ways to validate the effectiveness of a transformation T, such as comparing the transformed data to the desired output D, performing statistical analyses on the transformed data, and using cross-validation techniques. It is also important to consider the context and purpose of the transformation, and whether it has achieved the desired result in a meaningful way.