Vector Calculus: Change of Variables problem

In summary: You have an incorrect sign in the exponent. Also, as you noted, the integrand becomes singular at ##u = 0##. You need to handle this case separately.In summary, the student attempted to evaluate the integral ∫∫exp((y-x)/(y+x))dxdy for the triangle with vertices (0,0), (1,0), and (0,1) by making the substitutions u=y-x and v=y+x. They correctly found equations for y and x in terms of u and v, but made a mistake in calculating the Jacobian of the transformation. They also made mistakes in their inner integral, specifically an incorrect sign in the exponent and not handling the singularity at u=0.
Tom31415926535

Homework Statement

Let D be the triangle with vertices (0,0), (1,0) and (0,1). Evaluate:

∫∫exp((y-x)/(y+x))dxdy for D

by making the substitutions u=y-x and v=y+x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I found an equation for y and x respectively:

y=(u+v)/2 and x=(v-u)/2

Then I found the Jacobian of this transformation to be 1.

Then I started solving using the terminals as:

-v<u<v and 0<v<1

However, the final solution that I got is undefined (however I can see I was on the right track. The only issue is that there was a log(0) that screwed things up)

Where have I gone wrong?

The correct answer is 1/4(e-1/e)

Physics news on Phys.org
How are we going to be able to know where you went wrong when you only describe your attempt in vague terms? Please show us your actual computations including your intermediate steps.

Tom31415926535 said:
Then I found the Jacobian of this transformation to be 1.
This is incorrect, but does not affect the whether your integral converges or not. Again, in order to have a chance at knowing how you went wrong, we need to see your intermediate steps.

IMG_0810.jpg
IMG_0811.jpg

You make a good point. Here are my steps

Attachments

• IMG_0811.jpg
    IMG_0811.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 238
It would be much better and more in line with forum rules if you typed it out instead of just attaching images (see Guidelines for students and helpers, point 5). One issue is that it is impossible to quote a particular line of your computations.

Regarding the Jacobian: What is ##0.5 \cdot 0.5##?

Regarding your integral: Your inner integral is not correctly done.

1. What is Vector Calculus?

Vector Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the derivatives and integrals of vector-valued functions. It involves the study of multivariable calculus, specifically focusing on vector fields, line and surface integrals, and theorems such as Green's theorem, Stokes' theorem, and the Divergence theorem.

2. What is a Change of Variables problem in Vector Calculus?

A Change of Variables problem in Vector Calculus refers to the process of transforming a given integral from one set of variables to another. This is often done to simplify the integral or to make it easier to solve. It involves using a change of coordinates or transformation function to rewrite the integral in terms of the new variables.

3. Why is Change of Variables important in Vector Calculus?

Change of Variables is important in Vector Calculus because it allows us to solve integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also helps us to gain a deeper understanding of the relationship between different variables and how they affect the integral. Moreover, it is a fundamental concept in many areas of physics and engineering, where vector calculus is widely used.

4. What are the common techniques used in solving Change of Variables problems?

The common techniques used in solving Change of Variables problems include substitution, partial fractions, and integration by parts. These techniques are used to simplify the integral and transform it into a form that can be easily solved. Other techniques such as trigonometric substitutions and u-substitution may also be used depending on the specific problem.

5. What are some tips for solving Change of Variables problems effectively?

Some tips for solving Change of Variables problems effectively include carefully choosing the transformation function, practicing with different types of integrals, and understanding the properties of the transformation function. It is also important to simplify the integral before applying the change of variables and to check the final answer for correctness. Additionally, it is helpful to refer to examples and seek help from a tutor or instructor if needed.