Finding V(x) of a given wave function?

In summary, the conversation discusses a given wave function and its relation to the time-independent Schroedinger equation. The problem involves determining the potential, V(x), and sketching its shape, as well as identifying the classical potential that has a similar form. The conversation also touches on integrating the wave function and determining the energy, E, of the state. Ultimately, it is determined that solving the problem largely involves differentiating the wave function and simplifying the resulting equations.
Rumor

Homework Statement

"A wave function is given by Aexp[(-x2)/(2L2)] with an energy of E = h-bar2/2mL2. Assuming this is a solution to the time-independent Schroedinger equation,
a) What is V(x)? Make an accurate sketch of V vs. x with labeled axes
b) What sort of classical potential has this form?

Homework Equations

The Schroedinger time-independent equation: -(h-bar2/2m) * d2Psi/dx2 + V * Psi = E * Psi

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to solve this problem, I have to integrate the original Psi function twice in order to plug it into the Schroedinger equation. Or normalize it, in order to plug it into the equation. E also has to be determined, but I'm not sure how to go about that or what value of n to use. Basically, my biggest problem is my lack of ability to successfully integrate the psi equation and knowing how to go about figuring out E. Could someone help me, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Schroedinger equation is a differential equation, you will need to differentiate [tex]\Psi[/tex] twice, not integrate it. It is not necessary to normalize the wavefunction to solve this problem. Also, the energy of the state described by [tex]\Psi[/tex] has been given to you in the problem.

Ah, right! Wow, I've been working on physics problem long enough that I'm starting to mix them. But anyway, after differentiating the psi function twice and plugging it back into the Schroedinger equation, am I correct in thinking that that's all to be done? Aside from simplifying and everything.

Yes, it's mostly an algebra problem at its heart.

Awesome. Thanks for settin' me straight.

Related to Finding V(x) of a given wave function?

1. What is V(x) in a given wave function?

V(x) represents the potential energy of a particle at a specific position, x, in a given wave function. It describes the force field that the particle experiences at that position.

2. How do you calculate V(x) from a wave function?

V(x) can be calculated by taking the second derivative of the wave function with respect to x and multiplying it by (-h^2/2m), where h is Planck's constant and m is the mass of the particle.

3. Why is V(x) important in quantum mechanics?

V(x) plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of quantum particles. It affects the shape of the wave function and determines the probability of finding the particle at a specific position.

4. Can V(x) be negative in a wave function?

Yes, V(x) can be negative in a wave function. This indicates that the particle is experiencing an attractive force at that position. A positive V(x) indicates a repulsive force.

5. How does V(x) relate to the Schrödinger equation?

V(x) is one of the terms in the Schrödinger equation, which describes how a particle's wave function changes over time. The potential energy term, V(x), represents the effects of external forces on the particle.