Finding Vector C Using A-2B=pC: Magnitude, Direction, and Components

• Thread starter damdamct
  • Start date
In summary: Cy=-26.4|C| = 27.8C direction = 361.9 degrees, not sure if i am rightIn summary, the vectors are related by the equation A-2B=pC, where p is a scalar. The value of p is -1.06, the y-component of C is -26.4, and the magnitude and direction of vector C is not known.
damdamct

Homework Statement

Vector A has a magnitude of 9.10 and is directed at 55.0 degrees. Vector B has a magnitude of 12.5 and is directed at 125 degrees . The x component of vector C is 8.60. The vectors are related by the equation A-2B=pC, where p Is a scalar. Find the value of p , the y component of C and the magnitude and the direction of vector C

Homework Equations

x component = Acos(O)
y component = Asin(O)
magnitude = squaroot of x^2 +y^2
direction =arctan(y/x)

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to attempt on this problem and got
p=-1.06
Cy=-26.4
|C| = 27.8
C direction = 361.9 degrees, not sure if i am right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok. I think you need to break this up into steps. First, calculate the x-component for A and B. Then, use what you know to solve for p. After that, you can figure out the rest of C.

i tried to attempt on this problem and got
p=-1.06
Cy=-26.4
|C| = 27.8
C direction = 361.9 degrees, not sure if i am right

damdamct said:

Homework Statement

Vector A has a magnitude of 9.10 and is directed at 55.0 degrees. Vector B has a magnitude of 12.5 and is directed at 125 degrees . The x component of vector C is 8.60. The vectors are related by the equation A-2B=pC, where p Is a scalar. Find the value of p , the y component of C and the magnitude and the direction of vector C

Homework Equations

x component = Acos(O)
y component = Asin(O)
direction = squaroot of x^2 +y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

direction = square root of x^2 + y^2? Where did you get this equation?

Hint: what is the magnitude of a vector in terms of its components?

SteamKing said:
direction = square root of x^2 + y^2? Where did you get this equation?

Hint: what is the magnitude of a vector in terms of its components?

Oops , I am sorry , square root of x^2 + y^2 would be a formula of the magnitude . Direction = arctan(y/x).
Like i said , i have tried to attempt on this problem already and i got some answers on the #2 post above. I am not sure that if those are right the right answers or not. Can someone confirm the answers for me please?

It's a lot easier for those trying to help if you post all your working, purely symbolically, only substituting numbers at the end.

so here is what i got

Attachments

• phyc.jpg
    phyc.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 391

Related to Finding Vector C Using A-2B=pC: Magnitude, Direction, and Components

1. What does "Need help with this homework" mean?

"Need help with this homework" is a common phrase used to request assistance with school assignments or tasks. It could refer to needing clarification on a particular concept, needing help with a specific problem or question, or needing guidance on how to complete the assignment.

2. Is it okay to ask for help with homework?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with homework. In fact, seeking help and support is a crucial part of the learning process and can improve understanding and retention of the material. However, it is important to make sure that you are still actively engaging with the material and not just relying on others to do the work for you.

3. Where can I find help with my homework?

There are many resources available for getting help with homework. You can ask your teacher or classmates, join a study group, visit your school's tutoring center, or even hire a tutor. Additionally, there are many online resources such as educational websites, forums, and videos that can provide additional support and explanations.

4. How should I approach asking for help with my homework?

When asking for help with your homework, it is important to be specific about what you need assistance with. Make sure to have a clear understanding of where you are struggling and what you have already tried. This will help the person helping you to provide more effective support and guidance.

5. How can I avoid needing help with my homework in the future?

While it is completely normal and acceptable to ask for help with homework, it is also important to develop good study habits and strategies to improve your understanding and performance. This can include setting a schedule for completing assignments, taking thorough notes in class, actively participating and asking questions, and regularly reviewing material. Additionally, seeking help and clarification from your teacher as soon as you start to struggle can prevent bigger issues down the road.