Finding volume of a submerged object

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a ball attached to a block of wood floating on water, given the tension in the string. The buoyant force on the ball can be found by subtracting the tension in the string when the ball is submerged from the tension in the string when the ball is suspended in air. The buoyant force is then equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the ball, and can be divided by the acceleration due to gravity to find the volume of the ball. Remember to convert the mass density from kg/m3 to cm3 before solving for volume.
quaticle

Homework Statement

There is a block of wood floating on the surface of a body of water, with a ball attached to the bottom of the block by a string. I am asked to find the volume of the ball given the tension in the string. We also know the volume of the wood block from an earlier problem if applicable (I don't think it is needed for this problem but I may be wrong).

Homework Equations

B = mg = ρfluidgVobject
∑F = ma
ρV = m

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out with a fbd and summed the forces on the ball:
∑F = T + B - mballg = 0.
Substituted in the buoyancy equation:
∑F = T + ρwatergVball - mballg = 0.
Then rearranging and substituting in ρV = m for the ball:
T + ρwatergVball = ρballVg.
Finally rearranging for the volume of the ball:
Vball = T / ((ρball - ρwater)g).
Alas, this did not result in the correct answer and I am not sure where I went wrong. I think it is somewhere with my forces, buoyancy has always confused me and its exact function as a force. Any help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi quaticle, Welcome to Physics Forums.

What parameters are known about the ball?

gneill said:
What parameters are known about the ball?
I am only given the density of the ball, which is iron (7.87e3 kg/m3).

quaticle said:

Homework Statement

There is a block of wood floating on the surface of a body of water, with a ball attached to the bottom of the block by a string. I am asked to find the volume of the ball given the tension in the string. We also know the volume of the wood block from an earlier problem if applicable (I don't think it is needed for this problem but I may be wrong).

Homework Equations

B = mg = ρfluidgVobject
∑F = ma
ρV = m

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out with a fbd and summed the forces on the ball:
∑F = T + B - mballg = 0.
Substituted in the buoyancy equation:
∑F = T + ρwatergVball - mballg = 0.
Then rearranging and substituting in ρV = m for the ball:
T + ρwatergVball = ρballVg.
Finally rearranging for the volume of the ball:
Vball = T / ((ρball - ρwater)g).
Alas, this did not result in the correct answer and I am not sure where I went wrong. I think it is somewhere with my forces, buoyancy has always confused me and its exact function as a force. Any help appreciated!

If the ball were suspended by a string in air, what would the tension be on the string?

What would the tension be on the string when the ball is submerged?

It's helpful to draw a free body diagram in these situations.

You say you did not get the correct answer. Were you given the correct answer?

SteamKing said:
If the ball were suspended by a string in air, what would the tension be on the string?

What would the tension be on the string when the ball is submerged?

It's helpful to draw a free body diagram in these situations.

You say you did not get the correct answer. Were you given the correct answer?

So the tension in the string if in air would simply be the mass of the ball * gravity. The tension when submerged is given to me (0.8N). I am given the correct answer for the volume of the ball as 12cm3. Using my final equality my answer is something on the order of 10-5...

Going off what you are saying I am contriving this:
The buoyant force would be the Tair - Tsubmerged , correct? And knowing B = mfluid*Vdisplaced*g I can then divide by ro*g to solve for the volume of the ball? But since I am only given the ball's density ( that of iron) I can say that Tair = ρironV ?

quaticle said:
So the tension in the string if in air would simply be the mass of the ball * gravity. The tension when submerged is given to me (0.8N). I am given the correct answer for the volume of the ball as 12cm3. Using my final equality my answer is something on the order of 10-5...

The buoyant force would be the Tair - Tsubmerged , correct? And knowing B = mfluid*Vdisplaced*g I can then divide by ro*g to solve for the volume of the ball? But since I am only given the ball's density ( that of iron) I can say that Tair = ρironV ?
. When I rearrange terms to solve for the volume though I end up with the same equality I had in the original post.

quaticle said:

Remember, tension is a force, while ρ is the mass density of the iron ball.

Typically, mass density is given in kg/m3. How many cm3 are in 1 m3?

Oh I completely forgot the g term, and of course the conversion! Thank you for the help, once I take those two into consideration I do obtain the desired answer. Just to reiterate and reinforce my understanding... here the buoyant force is the difference in the tensions? i.e the amount force alleviated from the string when submerged?

quaticle said:
Oh I completely forgot the g term, and of course the conversion! Thank you for the help, once I take those two into consideration I do obtain the desired answer. Just to reiterate and reinforce my understanding... here the buoyant force is the difference in the tensions? i.e the amount force alleviated from the string when submerged?
The buoyant force is simply the weight of the water displaced by the iron ball. The tension in the string is the difference between the weight of the iron ball in air and its weight in water.

1. What is the definition of volume?

The volume of an object is the amount of three-dimensional space that it occupies.

2. How do you find the volume of a submerged object?

To find the volume of a submerged object, you can use the formula V = Ah, where A is the area of the object's base and h is the height of the object above the base.

3. What is the Archimedes' principle and how does it relate to finding volume of a submerged object?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle is essential in finding the volume of a submerged object, as it helps determine the weight of the fluid displaced by the object, which is equal to the object's volume.

4. Can you find the volume of a submerged irregularly shaped object?

Yes, the volume of a submerged irregularly shaped object can be found by using the water displacement method. This involves placing the object in a container of water and measuring the change in water level, which corresponds to the volume of the object.

5. Why is it important to find the volume of a submerged object?

Finding the volume of a submerged object is important in various scientific and engineering applications, such as determining the buoyancy of ships and submarines, designing structures that can withstand water pressure, and studying the behavior of objects in different types of fluids.