Finding Volume Using Polar Coordinates: Inside Sphere and Outside Cylinder

In summary, the homework statement is to find the volume of a solid using polar coordinates. The sphere has volume 16-r² and the cylinder has volume 4-r². The sphere's volume is greater than the cylinder's because the cylinder is not contained in the sphere at the poles.
EV33

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the given solid.

Inside the sphere x²+y²+z²=16 and outside the cylinder x²+y²=4.

Homework Equations

x=rcosΘ,y=rsinΘ, x²+y²=r²

The Attempt at a Solution

2∫∫ (√(16-r²)r)drdΘ R{(r,Θ)l 0<Θ<2∏, 2<r<4}

I was wondering if this is the correct set up. I solved the equation for the sphere for z, and then substituted my x²+y², and I used that as the function which I want to integrate under because Its the function that goes the highest. Then I figured that the radius was going from 2 to 4 because that is the radius of each of the shapes. I chose to go from 0 to 2pi because I know that I need to roatate 360 degrees. I multiplied by two because i know the functions are symmetric.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Why does r not vary from 0 to 4? (EDIT: I overlooked the cylinder)

2) Why do you have only two integrals if your integrating over a region in three-dimensional space?

Remember that in general the volume of some solid S in three dimensional space is given by
[tex]
V = \int_S dx dy dz = \int_S r drd\Theta dz
[/tex]
So the third question:

3)Why is the function you are integrating - √(16-r²)r) - different from r?
4) What does the capital R in your formula mean?

Last edited:
I had it not vary from 0 to 4 because it has to be inside the sphere but outside the cylinder which has a radius of 2. It is in two integrals because the problems at this point in the book only want you using double integrals.

Ok, as I see it now you had implicitly performed the z-integral
[tex]
\int_0^{\sqrt{16-r^2}}dz=\sqrt{16-r^2}
[/tex]

already.

Then the set-up looks correct to me.

Awesome. Thank you so much.

You're welcome. If you want your final result checked just post it.

sounds good. After the first integral I am getting (2/3)*(12)^(3/2), and then when I do the second integral I end up getting (4/3)*(12)^(3/2)*pi.

That answer worries me a little bit because I would expect it to be equal to this (4/3)*pi*4³-pi*2²*2*sqrt(2) but its not.

EV33 said:
sounds good. After the first integral I am getting (2/3)*(12)^(3/2), and then when I do the second integral I end up getting (4/3)*(12)^(3/2)*pi.

That answer worries me a little bit because I would expect it to be equal to this (4/3)*pi*4³-pi*2²*2*sqrt(2) but its not.

Why would you expect that? The answer
[tex]
\frac{4}{3}12^{3/2}\pi = 32\sqrt{3}\pi
[/tex]
is correct.

The volume you consider is NOT the volume of the sphere minus the volume of the cylinder because at the poles the cylinder is not contained in the sphere.

oh I see what you are saying. I don't know why I didn't realize that. Thank you.

Related to Finding Volume Using Polar Coordinates: Inside Sphere and Outside Cylinder

What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of locating points in a two-dimensional plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference line.

How do I convert polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates?

To convert from polar coordinates (r, θ) to rectangular coordinates (x, y), you can use the formulas x = rcos(θ) and y = rsin(θ). This involves finding the cosine and sine of the given angle and multiplying them by the given distance.

What is the difference between polar and rectangular coordinates?

The main difference between polar and rectangular coordinates is the way they represent points in a plane. While rectangular coordinates use the distances from the x and y axes, polar coordinates use a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference line.

What are the advantages of using polar coordinates?

One advantage of using polar coordinates is that they can simplify calculations involving circular or rotational motion. They also provide a more natural representation for certain shapes, such as circles and spirals.

How are polar coordinates used in real life?

Polar coordinates are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are commonly used to represent the position and orientation of objects moving in a circular or rotational motion, as well as in mapping and surveying applications.