Finding wavelength with just frequency?

In summary, the frequency of the radio station is 95.0 MHz and its wavelength is 3.51e-6 meters or 3.61e-6 meters, depending on the speed of the wave used in the calculation. It is important to use the speed of light in the calculation when dealing with electromagnetic waves.
DDRchick
One radio station in the middle of the FM band has a frequency of 95.0 MHz. What is its wavelength?

lambda=v/f

I assume that the velocity of the wave is 343 m/s. I convert 95MHz to Hz, which is 95,000,000 Hz.
lambda=(343 m/s) / 95,000,000 Hz.
I come up with 3.51e-6.
Webassign, being a big jerk, marks it wrong.
What am i dong wrong =(
I tried dividing by 95 MHz anyway just to see, and that was wrong as well.
Thanks in advance for your guys' help! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach looks right. I got 3.61e-6 so maybe your program is sensitive to that

Radio refers to electomagnetic waves, which propagate at the speed of light, which is the speed of the wave in this question.

Yeah...i was about to delete this forum topic becuase i finally found the same problem in an earlier assignment.
I'd have to use the speed of light and divide the Hz. xD Woops.
Thanks guys =)

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

The relationship between wavelength and frequency is inverse. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This is known as the "inverse proportionality" relationship.

2. Can we find the wavelength of a wave if we only know the frequency?

Yes, we can find the wavelength of a wave if we only know the frequency. This can be done using the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency. The speed of light is a constant value, so by knowing the frequency, we can easily calculate the wavelength.

3. How does the medium affect the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

The medium can affect the relationship between wavelength and frequency. In general, the speed of a wave is slower in a denser medium, meaning that the wavelength will also be shorter. However, the frequency remains constant regardless of the medium.

4. Is there a limit to the frequency of a wave?

There is no limit to the frequency of a wave. However, as the frequency increases, the wavelength becomes smaller and smaller until it reaches the size of a single particle (such as an electron). At this point, the wave becomes more like a particle and is described by quantum mechanics rather than classical wave equations.

5. How does the wavelength of light affect its color?

The wavelength of light determines its color. The visible spectrum of light ranges from about 400 to 700 nanometers (nm), with shorter wavelengths appearing as violet and longer wavelengths appearing as red. This is why we see different colors in a rainbow – each color corresponds to a different wavelength of light.