Wavelength of the sounds at zero degrees

In summary: C, we get λ = 602 mm.(c) However, if we take the value of v at 0 °C, we get v = 330 m/s, which is incorrect. The correct value of v at 0 °C is v = 330 m s-1.
moenste

Homework Statement

A source of sound frequency 550 Hz emits waves of wavelength 600 mm in air at 20 °C. What is the velocity of sound in air at this temperature? What would be the wavelength of the sound from this source in air at 0 °C?

Answers: 330 m s-1, 579 mm

2. The attempt at a solution
v = f λ = 550 * 0.6 = 330 m s-1

Regarding the wavelength of the sound at 0 degrees I am not sure what to do. I looked up here that 0 degrees have a speed of 331.01 m s-1, so λ = v / f = 0.601 m or 602 mm. Which is wrong.

I also substituted 20 °C and got 343 m s-1. Why does the number differ with the one I got (330 m s-1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
moenste said:
Regarding the wavelength of the sound at 0 degrees I am not sure what to do. I looked up here that 0 degrees have a speed of 331.01 m s-1, so λ = v / f = 0.601 m or 602 mm. Which is wrong.

how the velocity of sound in air varies with temperature?
your data given in the problem may not be exactly equal to experimental data?

Likes moenste
drvrm said:
how the velocity of sound in air varies with temperature?
your data given in the problem may not be exactly equal to experimental data?
v (or c) ∝ √T

Perhaps it is not exactly equal. What did I overlook in the second part?

moenste said:
Perhaps it is not exactly equal. What did I overlook in the second part?

well i can not say...as i do not have your calculation before me...you may take the first data at 20 degree as the supplied one and calculate at zero degree and see what value it gives...pl. convert the centigrade to kelvin scale of temperature..

Likes moenste
drvrm said:
well i can not say...as i do not have your calculation before me...you may take the first data at 20 degree as the supplied one and calculate at zero degree and see what value it gives...pl. convert the centigrade to kelvin scale of temperature..
This
moenste said:
A source of sound frequency 550 Hz emits waves of wavelength 600 mm in air at 20 °C. What is the velocity of sound in air at this temperature?
is for
moenste said:
v = f λ = 550 * 0.6 = 330 m s-1
Why do we need 20 degrees in the first place if we can get 330 m / s using v = f λ?

And this:
moenste said:
What would be the wavelength of the sound from this source in air at 0 °C?
=
moenste said:
Where 331.01 m / s is found using this formula (ϑ = 0 °C).

moenste said:
Where 331.01 m / s is found using this formula (ϑ = 0 °C).

you are given with a speed of sound at 20 degree (as said in the problem) ; now you have to calculate the speed/velocity at zero degree from that value you can get the wavelength using V(at 0 degree) = frequency x wavelength , this number will be wavelength at 0degree as frequency does not change.
for calculating V(0) you have the relation V(0) / V(20) = SQRT ( T(0) / T (20))
i think the new wavelength will be around your answer.
now if you compare with standard data the speeds quoted at 20 degree is around 346 m/s and it gets to 331 m/s at zero.
so your problem setter/writer is not using standard values ..perhaps..though its not a good practice...

Likes moenste
drvrm said:
you are given with a speed of sound at 20 degree (as said in the problem) ; now you have to calculate the speed/velocity at zero degree from that value you can get the wavelength using V(at 0 degree) = frequency x wavelength , this number will be wavelength at 0degree as frequency does not change.
for calculating V(0) you have the relation V(0) / V(20) = SQRT ( T(0) / T (20))
i think the new wavelength will be around your answer.
now if you compare with standard data the speeds quoted at 20 degree is around 346 m/s and it gets to 331 m/s at zero.
so your problem setter/writer is not using standard values ..perhaps..though its not a good practice...
Alright, so to sum up:

(a) We have got a source of sound frequency 550 Hz that emits waves of wavelength 600 mm in air at 20 °C. At this temperature the velocity of sound is equal: v = f λ = 550 * 0.6 = 330 m s-1 at 20 °C.

(b) Now we need to find the wavelength of the sound from this source in air at 0 °C. We re-arrange the abovementioned formula for the wavelength to get: λ = v / f. We don't have the velocity at 0 °C. So we use: v0 °C / v20 °C = √T0 °C / T20 °C (where temperature T is in Kelvin) and we have v0 °C / 330 = √273.15 / 293.15. So, v0 °C = 318.5 m s-1. Substituting it into the formula gives us: λ = 318.5 / 550 = 0.579 m or 579 mm.

Likes drvrm
moenste said:
Alright, so to sum up:
as far as your problem is concerned
you got the right answer but 'must' remember the data given is not physical and may not be used in future. must use data from a source 'table of velocities' at different temp.
it appears -it was an exercise to check whether one knows the variation of velocity of sound in a medium with temperature.

Likes moenste

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and sound at zero degrees?

At zero degrees, the wavelength of a sound wave is directly proportional to the speed of sound in the medium it is traveling through. This means that as the speed of sound increases, so does the wavelength.

2. How does the wavelength of sound change at zero degrees compared to other temperatures?

At zero degrees, the wavelength of sound is typically longer compared to other temperatures because the speed of sound is slower in colder temperatures. As the temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases, resulting in shorter wavelengths.

3. Why is the speed of sound slower at zero degrees?

The speed of sound is affected by temperature, density, and the medium it is traveling through. At zero degrees, the air molecules are closer together and have less energy, resulting in a slower speed of sound compared to warmer temperatures.

4. How does the wavelength of sound at zero degrees affect human hearing?

The wavelength of sound at zero degrees does not directly affect human hearing. However, the speed of sound and the wavelength can impact the quality and clarity of sound we hear. For example, shorter wavelengths at higher temperatures can result in clearer sound compared to longer wavelengths at lower temperatures.

5. Can the wavelength of sound at zero degrees be measured?

Yes, the wavelength of sound at zero degrees can be measured using various methods such as using an oscilloscope or a spectrometer. These instruments can measure the frequency of the sound wave and with the speed of sound known, the wavelength can be calculated using the formula: wavelength = speed of sound / frequency.