Finite Fields and Splitting Fields

In summary: Is that correct?If so, then some of the elements \alpha_j are equal to the elements of \mathbb{Z}_p . If the above is correct, then, further, of course, the elements of F* also contain the elements \mathbb{Z}_p .Is my analysis of the situation correct?Would appreciate some clarification and help.PeterIn summary, Theorem 6.5.2 states that F, a field containing the elements of
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Beachy and Blair's book: Abstract Algebra (3rd Edition) and am currently studying Theorem 6.5.2.

I need help with the proof of the Theorem.

Theorem 6.5.2 and its proof read as follows:View attachment 2842In the conclusion of the proof, Beachy and Blair write the following:

" ... ... Hence, since F is generated by these roots, it is a splitting field of f(x) over its prime subfield."

I am concerned about how exactly Beachy and Blair reach their conclusion that F is a splitting field for f(x) ... ...

Now Beachy and Blair define a splitting field as follows:View attachment 2843Now the first condition in the definition is achieved in the proof of the Theorem ... but how/why do we have the second condition for a splitting filed hold ... the implication of Beachy and Blair is that F being generated by the \(\displaystyle p^n\) roots is the same as adjoining these roots to K, where K is the prime subfield of F ... but how/why does this follow?

Further, is it always the case that F being generated by n roots is the same as adjoining these roots to the subfield in question - or is Beachy and Blair's conclusion true because K is the prime subfield?

I would appreciate some help in clarifying the above point.

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could look at it this way:

Suppose $E$ is an extension of $\Bbb Z_p$, but a subfield of $F$.

Then $E$ cannot contain ALL of the roots of $f(x) = x^{p^n} - x$, because it doesn't have enough elements. So $f$ cannot split in any subfield of $F$ and it DOES split in $F$.

Now for any subset $S \subseteq F$, we certainly have $\Bbb Z_p(S) \subseteq F$ (they might be equal, they might not, it depends on $S$).

In particular, $\Bbb Z_p(\alpha_1,\alpha_2,\dots,\alpha_{p^n-1}) \subseteq F$, where $\alpha_j$ is any non-zero element of $F$.

Just as clearly: $F^{\ast} = \{\alpha_1,\alpha_2,\dots,\alpha_{p^n-1}\} \subseteq \Bbb Z_p(\alpha_1,\alpha_2,\dots,\alpha_{p^n-1})$

This means:

$F^{\ast} \subseteq \Bbb Z_p(\alpha_1,\alpha_2,\dots,\alpha_{p^n-1}) \subseteq F$.

Now $F$ and $F^{\ast}$ differ by one element, $0$. Since $0 \in \Bbb Z_p$, we have:

$\Bbb Z_p(\alpha_1,\alpha_2,\dots,\alpha_{p^n-1}) = F$

which is condition 2.

Note that the list of roots is somewhat redundant, because $p - 1$ of them are already in $\Bbb Z_p$.

Deveno said:

Then $E$ cannot contain ALL of the roots of $f(x) = x^{p^n} - x$, because it doesn't have enough elements. So $f$ cannot split in any subfield of $F$ and it DOES split in $F$.

Now for any subset $S \subseteq F$, we certainly have $\Bbb Z_p(S) \subseteq F$ (they might be equal, they might not, it depends on $S$).

In particular, $\Bbb Z_p(\alpha_1,\alpha_2,\dots,\alpha_{p^n-1}) \subseteq F$, where $\alpha_j$ is any non-zero element of $F$.

Just as clearly: $F^{\ast} = \{\alpha_1,\alpha_2,\dots,\alpha_{p^n-1}\} \subseteq \Bbb Z_p(\alpha_1,\alpha_2,\dots,\alpha_{p^n-1})$

This means:

$F^{\ast} \subseteq \Bbb Z_p(\alpha_1,\alpha_2,\dots,\alpha_{p^n-1}) \subseteq F$.

Now $F$ and $F^{\ast}$ differ by one element, $0$. Since $0 \in \Bbb Z_p$, we have:

which is condition 2.

Note that the list of roots is somewhat redundant, because $p - 1$ of them are already in $\Bbb Z_p$.

Thanks Deveno ... Just working through your post carefully now ...

Peter

Deveno said:

This means:

which is condition 2.

Thanks Deveno ... BUT ... I am slightly uneasy that I am fully understanding your analysis ... so forgive me if I check a couple of points with you to see if I understand fully what is going on ... ...

We have \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_p = \{ 0, 1, 2, 3 ... ... p-2, p-1 \} \)

Then we add elements \(\displaystyle \alpha_j \) to create the field \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_p ( \alpha_1, \alpha_2, \ ... \ ... \ \alpha_{{p^n} - 1} )\).

So \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_p ( \alpha_1, \alpha_2, \ ... \ ... \ \alpha_{{p^n} - 1}\) is the minimal field containing the elements of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_p = \{ 0, 1, 2, 3 ... ... p-2, p-1 \} \) and the elements \(\displaystyle \alpha_1, \alpha_2, \ ... \ ... \ , \alpha_{{p^n} - 1} \)

Is that correct?

If so, then some of the elements \(\displaystyle \alpha_j \) are equal to the elements of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_p \).

If the above is correct, then, further, of course, the elements of F* also contain the elements \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_p \).

Is my analysis of the situation correct?

Would appreciate some clarification and help.

Peter
***EDIT*** I just noticed that you write:

" ... ... Note that the list of roots is somewhat redundant, because $p - 1$ of them are already in $\Bbb Z_p$"

I suspect that this answers my question ... ...

Last edited:
Peter said:
Thanks Deveno ... BUT ... I am slightly uneasy that I am fully understanding your analysis ... so forgive me if I check a couple of points with you to see if I understand fully what is going on ... ...

We have \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_p = \{ 0, 1, 2, 3 ... ... p-2, p-1 \} \)

Then we add elements \(\displaystyle \alpha_j \) to create the field \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_p ( \alpha_1, \alpha_2, \ ... \ ... \ \alpha_{{p^n} - 1} )\).

So \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_p ( \alpha_1, \alpha_2, \ ... \ ... \ \alpha_{{p^n} - 1}\) is the minimal field containing the elements of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_p = \{ 0, 1, 2, 3 ... ... p-2, p-1 \} \) and the elements \(\displaystyle \alpha_1, \alpha_2, \ ... \ ... \ , \alpha_{{p^n} - 1} \)

Is that correct?

If so, then some of the elements \(\displaystyle \alpha_j \) are equal to the elements of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_p \).

If the above is correct, then, further, of course, the elements of F* also contain the elements \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}_p \).

Is my analysis of the situation correct?

Would appreciate some clarification and help.

Peter
***EDIT*** I just noticed that you write:

" ... ... Note that the list of roots is somewhat redundant, because $p - 1$ of them are already in $\Bbb Z_p$"

I suspect that this answers my question ... ...

Yep.

What are finite fields?

Finite fields, also known as Galois fields, are mathematical structures that consist of a finite set of elements and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. In finite fields, the number of elements is always a prime number or a power of a prime number.

What is a splitting field?

A splitting field is an extension of a given field that contains all the roots of a given polynomial. In other words, it is the smallest field in which a given polynomial can be completely factored into linear factors.

What is the relationship between finite fields and splitting fields?

Finite fields can be thought of as a special type of splitting field, where the polynomial being factored is always of the form x^n - 1. This means that all the roots of the polynomial are contained within the finite field.

How are finite fields and splitting fields used in cryptography?

Finite fields and splitting fields are used in cryptography to create secure encryption algorithms. One example is the RSA algorithm, which relies on the difficulty of factoring large numbers in finite fields. Splitting fields are also used in error-correcting codes, which are essential for secure communication over noisy channels.

What are some real-world applications of finite fields and splitting fields?

Finite fields and splitting fields have various applications beyond cryptography. They are used in coding theory, elliptic curve cryptography, and algebraic geometric codes, among others. They also have applications in computer science, particularly in coding and error-correction techniques for data storage and communication systems.