Firefox 2.0 Launches Tomorrow: Get the Latest from Mozilla!

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary, Mozilla will be releasing its latest software, Firefox 2.0, on Tuesday. The official download site is not yet ready, but it may be available for download from their FTP site. However, it is a release candidate and may not be fully compatible with current extensions and plugins. Some users feel that Firefox has become bloated with features and prefer a smaller, more customizable version. Despite this, there have been 2 million downloads in the first 24 hours of its release. The new version has features taken from popular extensions and has received positive feedback. Some users are still adjusting to the new version, but there are extensions available to add features such as mouse gestures.
neutrino
It has been announced that Mozilla will release it's latest and greatest(?) software on Tuesday.

Although the official download site is not yet ready, I think one can download it from their FTP site (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi, I just visited

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

It seems that what they've got available is a Release Candidate. If you install it, it will overwrite your current installation of Firefox, but it is not guaranteed that the extensions and plug-ins you have currently will work with the RC. I'm going to hold off until they announce a fully developed package for release public release.

You're right. It's not yet out (officially).

Still, thanks for pointing out how far along Firefox 2 is. From the notes on the page I linked, it has some very attractive features. Firefox has been my default browser since day one of the first release, and I eagerly await the next version. The Mozilla folks really seem to know their stuff and they come up with some nice features with every release.

Actually, many people seem to think otherwise. Many Fx afficionados now say that this browser is bloated with features (many of which were actually picked up from popular extensions), and I think they have a point. Give the users something small, light, which doesn't use too much memory (it's still a big problem for Fx developers and users), and then let them choose what they want to add. Even if it had been smaller, I would've still added some via extensions (can't live without some of them :biggrin:).

Well neutrino, you were right about the release - they went ahead and released Released Candidate 3 as version 2.0. I took a look at how many extensions I really use, then bit the bullet and downloaded the new version. It features real-time spell-checking for forms such as these used to make forum posts. I haven't tried out all the new features, but have been bouncing around from site to site to see if V 2.0 is consistent and stable - it seems to be. Thanks for the heads-up.

Some of the new features have been taken from a few popular extensions, especially the new tab features, so I'm quite used to them, including the exit button on each tab, which many don't seem to like. The new version has been behaving itself. :)

Btw, just read on slashdot that there were 2 million downloads in the first 24 hours of the release!

I like the separate exit buttons on each tab, and the fact that links open in new tabs, not new windows. I'm involved in a research project in which access to multi-band astrophotography is quite valuable, but opening links in IRSA left me with a lot of windows to track. Now the new links come up in tabs, and I can see when the imagery is loaded, because the little spinning indicator stops. I use IRSA's "reproject" feature, and that is quite slow, so I like to be able to do another activity in another tab while the imagery is loading (several minutes).

thanks for the site.

I like the new firefox. Though I admit, I had to look around to get a few things back to how I wanted; namely, I don't like the close tab button, and I also did not like the new quick find, but these were both easy to change.

The only thing I wish firefox had was some built in mouse gestures, or a better mouse gestures extension (anyone that has used Opera knows what I am talking about).

mattmns said:
... and I also did not like the new quick find...
Hmm...I just noticed that the usual options are missing. I never used them anyway. :rolleyes:

The only thing I wish firefox had was some built in mouse gestures, or a better mouse gestures extension (anyone that has used Opera knows what I am talking about).
Here you go...
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/39/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/12/

Three are others, too, like Easy Gestures, Drag De Go, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed fine on my xp box, but baulked on my Mac, and seems to crash every so often. I think i will need to remove some plugins and figure out why.

neutrino said:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/39/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/12/

I have used both, and I am currently using the all-in-one. What I meant above is that these mouse gestures are crap compared to Opera's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never used them. I did install one of those before, but soon forgot about it. :D

1. What new features can we expect in Firefox 2.0?

Firefox 2.0 will include improved tabbed browsing, a built-in spell checker, enhanced search capabilities, and a new anti-phishing tool. It also has a redesigned user interface and improved performance.

2. Will my current extensions and themes be compatible with Firefox 2.0?

Most extensions and themes from previous versions of Firefox will work with version 2.0. However, some may need to be updated by their developers to be fully compatible.

3. Can I upgrade to Firefox 2.0 from an older version?

Yes, Firefox 2.0 will be available as a free upgrade for users of older versions. Simply download the new version and follow the installation instructions.

4. Will Firefox 2.0 be available on all operating systems?

Yes, Firefox 2.0 will be available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.

5. When will Firefox 2.0 be released?

As the title suggests, Firefox 2.0 will be released tomorrow. However, the exact time may vary depending on your location and internet connection.