First order ODE, orthogonal trajectories

In summary, you can find the new dy/dx if you want orthogonal trajectories to the ellipse by solving the differential equation and ifentifying the orthogonal trajectories on the ellipse.
Panphobia
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known da
##\frac{x^{2}}{k^{2}} + \frac{y^{2}}{\frac{k^{4}}{4}} = 1## with k != 0
this can be simplified to
##x^{2} + 4y^{2} = k^{2}##
Find dy/dx implicitly, then find the new dy/dx if you want orthogonal trajectories to the ellipse. Lastly solve the differential equation and ifentify the orthogonal trajectories on the ellipse.

The Attempt at a Solution

##2x + 8y\frac{dy}{dx} = 0##

now I know that for it to be orthogonal you need -dx/dy, so rearranging for dy/dx would give

## \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-x}{4y} ##

and -dx/dy is

## \frac{-dx}{dy} = \frac{4y}{x} ##

but my question is wouldn't you be losing solutions for y=0 and x=0? How would you account for that in the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not necessarily losing those solutions. They are still there. For example, if ##-\frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{4y}{x}##, then what does that mean when x = 0? Normally an ellipse (centered at the origin) might have a vertical tangent line as it crosses the x axis, how is that slope represented? What is perpendicular to that?

Yea I get what you mean, I solved the differential equation and got ## y = Cx^{4} ## and one of the questions is to draw four members of each family of curves, so it should be pretty simple with the ellipse, but then with the ## y = Cx^{4} ##, is it still possible for me to draw the solution through x=0?

An obvious point is that taking C= 0 gives y= 0 as a solution- a horizontal line through (0, 0).

Panphobia said:
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known da
##\frac{x^{2}}{k^{2}} + \frac{y^{2}}{\frac{k^{4}}{4}} = 1## with k != 0
this can be simplified to
##x^{2} + 4y^{2} = k^{2}##
Find dy/dx implicitly, then find the new dy/dx if you want orthogonal trajectories to the ellipse. Lastly solve the differential equation and ifentify the orthogonal trajectories on the ellipse.

The Attempt at a Solution

##2x + 8y\frac{dy}{dx} = 0##

now I know that for it to be orthogonal you need -dx/dy, so rearranging for dy/dx would give

## \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-x}{4y} ##

and -dx/dy is

## \frac{-dx}{dy} = \frac{4y}{x} ##

but my question is wouldn't you be losing solutions for y=0 and x=0? How would you account for that in the solution?
You have the wrong differential equation: the solutions of ##2x + 8y\frac{dy}{dx} = 0## just give you the ellipse itself, because when ##2x dx + 8y dy = 0## that means that the points ##(x,y)## and ##(x + dx, y + dy)## lie in the ellipse; in other words, ##(dx,dy)## lies in the tangent line to the ellipse.

You want your ##(dx,dy)## to be perpendicular to the tangent, not parallel to it. Thus, you want ##(dx,dy)## to point along the gradient of the function ##f = x^2 + 4 y^2##. Thus, you need
## dx = 2x \, dt, \;\; dy = 8y \, dt ##, so ##dy/dx = 4y/x.##

I did solve the differential equation for ## dy/dx = 4y/x ## it is ## y = Cx^{4} ##

Panphobia said:
I did solve the differential equation for ## dy/dx = 4y/x ## it is ## y = Cx^{4} ##

Nowhere in your writeup in post #1 did you write that DE and that solution. I looked and looked, but could not find it.

1. What are first order ODEs?

First order ODEs (ordinary differential equations) are equations that involve a single independent variable and its derivative. They are used to describe how a system changes over time.

2. What are orthogonal trajectories?

Orthogonal trajectories are a set of curves that intersect a given set of curves at right angles. In the context of first order ODEs, they are curves that are perpendicular to the solution curves of the ODE.

3. How do you find orthogonal trajectories?

To find orthogonal trajectories of a given set of curves, you can use the method of separation of variables or the method of integrating factors. These methods involve manipulating the given curves and solving for the orthogonal curves.

4. Why are orthogonal trajectories important?

Orthogonal trajectories are important because they can help us understand the behavior of a system described by a first order ODE. They can also be used to find solutions to problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

5. Can orthogonal trajectories intersect?

No, orthogonal trajectories cannot intersect. This is because by definition, they are always perpendicular to each other. If two orthogonal trajectories were to intersect, they would no longer be perpendicular.