Fixed point free automorphism of order 2

In summary, the proof shows that a group with an automorphism ##\sigma## satisfying ##\sigma(\sigma(x)) = x## for all ##x \in G## must be abelian. This is because every element in the group can be written as the product of its inverse and the image of an element under ##\sigma##, and the fact that ##\sigma## is a homomorphism implies that the elements commute. However, the proof also raises the question of whether this property implies that every element in the group is equal to its own inverse, which may not be true.
PragmaticYak
Homework Statement
(Problem 1.6.23 from Dummit and Foote, 3rd edition)

Let G be a finite group which possesses an automorphism σ such that σ(g) = g if and only if g = 1. If σ^2 is the identity map from G to G, prove that G is abelian (such an automorphism σ is called fixed point free of order 2). [Hint: Show that every element of G can be written in the form x^{-1}σ(x) and apply σ to such an expression.]
Relevant Equations
If φ is a group homomorphism, then φ(x^{-1}) = φ^{-1}(x).
I did not use the hint for this problem. Here is my attempt at a proof:

Proof: Note first that ##σ(σ(x)) = x## for all ##x \in G##. Then ##σ^{-1}(σ(σ(x))) = σ(x) = σ^{-1}(x) = σ(x^{-1})##.

Now consider ##σ(gh)## for ##g, h \in G##. We have that ##σ(gh) = σ((gh)^{-1}) = σ(h^{-1}g^{-1})##. Additionally, ##σ(gh) = σ(g)σ(h) = σ(g^{-1})σ(h^{-1}) = σ(g^{-1}h^{-1})##. Thus we have ##σ(h^{-1}g^{-1}) = σ(gh) = σ(g^{-1}h^{-1}##). Since ##σ## is a bijection, ##h^{-1}g^{-1} = g^{-1}h^{-1}##, which implies ##gh = hg##. Thus ##G## is abelian.

The thing about this proof that troubles me is that it seems to imply that for all elements ##x \in G##, ##x = x^{-1}##. Is this really a necessary consequence of having such an automorphism on ##G##? Or is there a mistake in my proof? The only part of the proof I can think of that might be problematic is where I apply ##σ^{-1}## to the composition, but it seems perfectly valid because ##σ^{-1}## exists. Or is there a problem somewhere else? Thank you in advance.

Edited to add LaTeX formatting.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your last equals sign is wrong:
$$\sigma^{-1}(x) = \sigma(x^{-1})$$
I think what you meant is the property we get from automorphism being a homomorphism, which is that:
$$(\sigma(x))^{-1}= \sigma(x^{-1})$$
The second is correct. The first is not.
Note that in the second one an exponent of -1 always means "take the inverse in this group", whereas in the first one, the first -1 exponent means "take the inverse function", which is a completely different thing: nothing to do with group inverses.

Took another crack at this problem. I’ll show the part after proving that every element of ##G## can be written as ##x^{-1}\sigma(x)##.

Let ##x \in G##. Then ##x = y^{-1}\sigma(y)## for some ##y \in G##. Now ##\sigma(x) = \sigma(y^{-1}\sigma(y)) = \sigma(y^{-1})y##. Rearranging, ##y^{-1} = \sigma(x)^{-1}\sigma(y^{-1}) = \sigma(x^{-1}y^{-1})##. Plugging this back into the original equation, we have ##x = \sigma(x^{-1}y^{-1})\sigma(y) = \sigma(x^{-1}y^{-1}y) = \sigma(x^{-1})##.

Now let ##a, b \in G##. Then ##ab = \sigma(a^{-1})\sigma(b^{-1}) = \sigma(a^{-1}b^{-1})##. Additionally, ##ab = \sigma((ab)^{-1}) = \sigma(b^{-1}a^{-1})##. Since ##\sigma## is injective, ##a^{-1}b^{-1} = b^{-1}a^{-1}##, meaning ##ab = ba##. Thus ##G## is abelian.

1. What is a fixed point free automorphism of order 2?

A fixed point free automorphism of order 2 is a type of symmetry operation in mathematics that maps a mathematical object onto itself, without leaving any point unchanged, and has the property of repeating itself twice before returning to the original state.

2. What are some examples of fixed point free automorphisms of order 2?

Some examples of fixed point free automorphisms of order 2 include the rotation of a square by 180 degrees, the reflection of a line segment across its midpoint, and the inversion of a circle through its center.

3. How is a fixed point free automorphism of order 2 different from other types of automorphisms?

A fixed point free automorphism of order 2 is different from other types of automorphisms because it does not have any fixed points, meaning that no point in the mathematical object remains unchanged after the operation is applied. This makes it a more complex and specialized type of symmetry.

4. What are the applications of fixed point free automorphisms of order 2?

Fixed point free automorphisms of order 2 have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to study symmetry in geometric shapes, to analyze the behavior of physical systems, and to design efficient algorithms for computer programs.

5. How are fixed point free automorphisms of order 2 related to group theory?

Fixed point free automorphisms of order 2 are closely related to group theory, which is the study of symmetry and structure in mathematical objects. They are a type of group element known as an involution, which has the property of being its own inverse and is an important concept in group theory.