How Does Fixed Point Iteration Converge with Nested Square Roots?

In summary, the fixed point iteration converges for all choices of initial guesses greater than -p+1/4.
math8
Let p>0 and [tex] x = \sqrt{p+\sqrt{p+\sqrt{p+ \cdots }}}[/tex] , where all the square roots are positive. Design a fixed point iteration [tex]x_{n+1} = F (x_{n})[/tex] with some F which has x as a fixed point. We prove that the fixed point iteration converges for all choices of initial guesses greater than -p+1/4.

Let [tex]x_{n+1}=F(x_{n})= \sqrt{p+x_{n}}[/tex] so x is a fixed point for F since F(x)=x.
Now let [tex]g(x)=\sqrt{p+x}[/tex].
We have [tex] g'(x)=\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{p+x} } [/tex]

I can see that for [tex] x > -p + 1/4 [/tex], we have that g'(x) <1.

From there I am not sure how to proceed to obtain convergence for [tex] x_{0} > -p +\frac{1}{4} [/tex] .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
math8 said:
I can see that for [tex] x > -p + 1/4 [/tex], we have that g'(x) <1.

From there I am not sure how to proceed to obtain convergence for [tex] x_{0} > -p +\frac{1}{4} [/tex] .
What are the necessary and sufficient conditions for convergence of a fixed point iterator?

It (g(x)) must be continuously differentiable on a closed interval [a,b], and g([a,b]) C[a,b].
Also, max {|g' (x)|: x in [a,b] } < 1.

Then the iterations converge to the unique fixed point for any initial guess x_0 in [a,b].

I can see that for x > -p + 1/4 , we have that g'(x) < 1. So can I say that max {|g' (x)|: x> -p + 1/4 } < 1 ? Also, I am not quite sure how to deal with the fact that the interval that I have in this case is an open interval (-p + 1/4 , infty).

You can look at the set [itex][a,\infty)[/tex] in two ways:

1. As the limit of a closed interval as the upper bound goes to infinity:

[tex][a,\infty) = \lim_{b\to\infty} [a,b][/tex]2. As the union of all closed intervals [a,b]:

[tex][a,\infty) = \bigcup_{b>a}\,[a,b][/tex]Either way, you can use the results you have already obtained to show that the fixed point iteration converges.

Related to How Does Fixed Point Iteration Converge with Nested Square Roots?

1. What is fixed point iteration?

Fixed point iteration is a mathematical method used to find the root or solution of a given equation. It involves repeatedly using a given function on an initial guess until the resulting value converges to the desired solution.

2. How does fixed point iteration work?

To use fixed point iteration, an initial guess is first chosen and plugged into the given function. The resulting value is then used as the new guess, and this process is repeated until the values converge to the desired solution. This method works by finding the fixed point of the function, which is the value that does not change when the function is applied.

3. What types of equations can be solved using fixed point iteration?

Fixed point iteration can be used to solve a variety of equations, including linear and nonlinear equations, as long as the equation can be written in the form of x = g(x), where g(x) is a continuous function.

4. What are the advantages of using fixed point iteration?

Fixed point iteration is a relatively simple and straightforward method for finding solutions to equations. It also allows for a wide range of equations to be solved, and can be easily implemented using a computer program.

5. What are the limitations of fixed point iteration?

Fixed point iteration may not always converge to the desired solution, and it can also be time-consuming if the initial guess is far from the actual solution. Additionally, it is important to choose a suitable function to use in the iteration process in order for it to be effective.