Fixed points of Van Der Pol equation

In summary, the question is asking for a discussion of the fixed points of the Van Der Pol equation, specifically in relation to the perturbation parameter µ when µ >= 0. The equation is x'' - \mu(1-x^2)x' + x = 0 and after linearizing, four situations arise: 1) µ = 0 resulting in a center, 2) 0 < µ < 2 resulting in a spiral point, 3) µ > 2 resulting in an unstable node, and 4) µ = 2, where the type of fixed point cannot be determined easily. The author asks for clarification on the nature of the fixed point in the non-linear system and whether it can be ded
Koeneuze

Homework Statement

"Discuss the fixed points of the Van Der Pol equation depending on the perturbation parameter µ when µ >= 0"

Homework Equations

[tex]x'' - \mu(1-x^2)x' + x = 0[/tex] is the Van Der Pol Equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, this question is really easy for most values of µ. The only fixed point is (0,0), and after linearising you get 4 situations:
1) µ = 0
This gives two complex eigenvalues that don't have a real part, so we either have a focus/center, or a spiral point. Graphing clearly shows it's a center.
2) 0 < µ < 2
Spiral point.
3) µ > 2
Unstable node.
4) µ = 2. Now, this is one of the situations where linearisation can't tell much, except that you either have a node or a spiral point. I haven't been able to find a general solution for this, everything I've found only relates to the linear system, and even those aren't too clear.

So, my questions are:
1. Am i correct that, for the linearised system, this is an unstable improper node?
2. Is there any way to derive what kind of fixed point the original (non-linearised) system has? Or is there a way to deduct that from a graph?

I've searched around a bit, and I seem to find both unstable star/proper node and unstable improper node for the fixed point of the original system... Star seems to be the one with the more trustworthy sources, but at the same time, how do you define a star node for a non-linear system? For linear it just meant that all solutions were straight lines...

Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize if this doesn't make much sense, I'm still very new to differential equations. Any help is greatly appreciated! Let me know if there's anything else I should add.

1. What is the Van Der Pol equation?

The Van Der Pol equation is a second-order differential equation that describes the behavior of a damped oscillator. It was first introduced by the Dutch physicist Balthasar Van Der Pol in 1927.

2. What are fixed points in the Van Der Pol equation?

Fixed points, also known as equilibrium points, are solutions to the Van Der Pol equation where the derivative of the solution is equal to zero. These points represent a stable state for the system, where the oscillations stop and the system reaches a steady state.

3. How do you find the fixed points of the Van Der Pol equation?

The fixed points of the Van Der Pol equation can be found by setting the derivative of the solution equal to zero and solving for the values of the variables. This can be done analytically or numerically using software or programming languages such as MATLAB or Python.

4. What are the applications of fixed points in the Van Der Pol equation?

The Van Der Pol equation and its fixed points have many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics. It can be used to model electrical circuits, chemical reactions, population dynamics, and many other systems.

5. How do fixed points affect the behavior of the Van Der Pol equation?

The number and stability of fixed points in the Van Der Pol equation can greatly impact the behavior of the system. Depending on the parameters of the equation, the system can exhibit periodic, chaotic, or stable behavior. The presence of fixed points can also determine the stability of the system and its ability to return to a steady state after disturbances.